How MMR system works, why it won't work

Apologies in advance; I don’t usually write long texts in English… I might have to ask ChatGPT for help!

That said, let’s talk about the MMR system. By now, I imagine most players in PvP have at least a general idea of how it works. In short, MMR (Matchmaking Rating) is the number used to place you into a lobby. If you win, your MMR increases, and if you lose, it decreases. After a match, MMR is recalculated, and your CR (Combat Rating) gain or loss is determined based on your new MMR.

Now for the interesting part—the intended and unintended mechanics. The MMR system is essentially an “economics” problem, one without a perfect solution—just theories and speculations. Why? Because MMR acts like a currency. While you don’t “buy” anything with MMR, you do gain or lose it through PvP matches by winning or losing. This means that MMR is in a fixed pool—it’s not a hard cap, but Blizzard designed it with a progression in mind. When you win, you gain a certain percentage (X%) of the difference between your MMR and the average MMR of the losing opponent’s team, and when you lose, you lose a smaller percentage (Y%) of that difference. The fact that X is larger than Y creates slight inflation, which gives the feeling of progression, even at the highest levels (though I’m not rank 1, of course!).

If Blizzard says they’re adjusting the progression curve, they’re adjusting this percentage. But why is this an unsolvable problem? Meritocracy! Better players will take MMR from less skilled players. It’s similar to that dystopian movie with Justin Timberlake—some people live forever while others must die young. It’s not a great analogy, but bear with me. Players can only take MMR from others within their MMR range. So, a player with 1800 MMR will only face opponents in the 1700–1900 MMR range, and if they drop, they need to climb back by taking MMR from their new lower range. On day one of a season, everyone starts with 0 CR but 1500 MMR. So, every active player in that bracket has the same starting MMR, creating a pool of MMR for that season. Of course, people leave and join, but that’s the basic setup.

If you can only take MMR from matches within your range, and if there are different win/loss calculations for each range, that might explain why rank 1 players feel like their CR is capped. Blizzard’s solution is the inflation system. Each week, the system gives players an MMR boost (e.g., 100 MMR), which explains why if you join later in the season, your character starts with 2000 MMR instead of the 1500 your main had at the beginning. This inflation system helps rank 1 players reach 3000 MMR and makes average players feel like they’re progressing since they’re winning against higher MMR opponents and gaining more CR. It also increases the total MMR pool.

Why doesn’t Blizzard just raise the starting MMR so players don’t feel stuck at a rating without rewards? For example, if rank 1 is 2800 and most players are at 2100, why not just boost everyone? The problem is that, as I mentioned, the system relies on participation numbers to define the MMR pool size. In the first season, Blizzard doesn’t know how many players will participate, so they can’t set the reward difficulty accurately. Too easy, and people quit early; too hard, and the same thing happens.

If the inflation system works, why not give the full amount of inflation upfront, like adding 600 MMR in one go instead of spreading it over six weeks? Because then top players would hit their ceiling too fast, leaving everyone else feeling stuck. The gradual inflation creates a sense of progression.

As for why Battleground Blitz is different, it’s because the MMR pool size (like the money in a poker game) is larger, and the win/loss rate calculations haven’t been tweaked yet.

In conclusion, I hope I’ve explained my reverse engineering of the MMR system and its issues clearly. My humble suggestion: avoid using a currency-like system to organize and reward PvP. Instead, consider a simpler system, like a badge system where current achievements (Combatant, Rival, Duelist) are badges that you can gain or lose by winning or losing a set number of matches, so if you win N matches witout losing M matches you go up a badge, if you dont you go down.

3 Likes

It’s not working right now. Last night I lost 15 rating for winning a game and got put in a 1700 MMR lobby on my 2700 MMR character.

when the system is actually working , its not bad

but when you lose 200 mmr for win strek… is bad

Huh?! That’s SO messed up. Do you have a screenshot?

Did you see my comment about losing 15 CR for a win? I had to check it like 7 times to see that it was real life.

2 Likes

the system is working as intended. you are at the rating you deserve.

now please excuse me as i slurp slurp slurp n swallow daddy blizz

4 Likes

skill issue, shouldnt have queued

this is blizzard telling you the right play is to sit rating

I have 0 belief in that being true with out evidence.

3 Likes

Really? I don’t think I’ve seen CR loss for winning a game.

1 Like

So many problems like this would go away if we had a much larger pool of players queueing up. Mildly controversial solution; make a free to play pvp-only client and open up the game to people who aren’t willing to either grind xp or pay a sub. Let the gameplay stand on it’s own and make the FTP plebs buy transmogs for profit.

1 Like

Ok this I have to see. Please tell me you screenshot it.

5 Likes

Probably solo shuffle and “I won” means 4/2, if the 2 matches lost the match average opponents MMR was low he prob loss more MMR then the MMR he winned in the 4 matches. Yeah the solo shuffle system is basicly the 3´s system calculated individually on each one of the six matches.

h ttps://ibb.co/CtcJXrS

1 Like

This also has some break down, much of it is the same despite it being from DF.

The same mechanics I explained before still apply, but the fixed values are no longer accurate since Dragonflight.

" *****This may no longer be true in Dragonflight, but was in Shadowlands for a time. I could not find any confirmation one way or the other for current day."

If it were possible to know the exact amount of MMR players gain and lose in a match, you would notice that people don’t gain exactly what others lose.

However, that’s not the main point. My point is that people are gaining MMR from others losing it, and this creates the issue. If everyone starts with 1500 MMR, the total pool is 1500 times the active player population. But, as the Wowhead post explains, you only play in lobbies where the average MMR is close to yours. So, you can only gain MMR from players within your range. If your opponent’s MMR is very close to or lower than yours, you will gain less MMR, but you still take some.

In 3v3, most top players have a win rate between 60% and 70% because they’re mostly playing against each other. This creates the feeling that they’re not making progress or that their MMR is capped.

In conclusion, the MMR system creates an environment where players can accumulate MMR, making it difficult for others to reach their desired rewards. This isn’t a problem when the active player base is large enough that everyone dedicated can get their rewards. But since Blizzard can’t control the number of active players, they can’t create a consistent level of difficulty across seasons.

This is a game, I’m not saying that everyone should be equal and get all the rewards and that there shouldn’t be winners and losers. What I’m asking for, and I believe is what the majority wants, is a system where it’s possible to consistently control the difficulty level to get the achievements throughout all seasons.

Unfortunate the broken mmr system put me in your lobbies. I already climbed out of it to be put back in it unfairly.

In any comoetitive game a 51% winrate will slowly push you forward until you cant reliably win more than you lose.

Going 4-2 in rss gives me 30
Going 2-4 takes away -48
And I went 0-6 for a nice -72

It just makes no sense and it feels like you are stuck in place even with a positive winrate. That should never happen

Sounds like your MMR is trying to push you where you belong

4 Likes

This is just how mmr works, man.