High Latency / Lag Spikes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Aditi - high latency connecting to anz realms

The smart router is probably the issue. I think it has you on 5ghz, which is higher bandwidth but lower range, when before you were on 2.4ghz. Try to get into the router settings and see if you can see what band you’re on, or if you can even adjust it.

That might take a call to the isp, or browsing their website.

1 Like

thanks for the info Zungar! Im not seeing the issue today like i was, i still get some small hiccups here and there. but i think what ever was causing the larger issue has mostly been resolved. ill pickup a new cable on Friday and change that. i think ive had the same cat5 cable for at least the last 7 years. could be possible its been damaged somehow. This is from today.

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |  985 |  985 |    1 |    7 |  123 |   38 |

|        072-176-032-001.res.spectrum.com -    0 |  985 |  985 |    9 |   27 |  199 |   21 |

|         xe-000.tmpltxdl01h.texas.rr.com -    0 |  985 |  985 |   16 |   81 |  608 |  461 |

|           be28.wacotxjb01r.texas.rr.com -    0 |  968 |  968 |    8 |   90 | 4099 |   15 |

|          agg24.dllatxl301r.texas.rr.com -    0 |  984 |  984 |   13 |   33 |  192 |   26 |

|bu-ether14.dllstx976iw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com -    0 |  985 |  985 |   12 |   30 |  197 |   29 |

|                            66.109.5.121 -    0 |  985 |  985 |   12 |   31 |  245 |   64 |

|                            66.109.9.151 -    0 |  985 |  985 |   13 |   36 |  230 |   41 |

|              ae1-br01-eqda6.as57976.net -    0 |  985 |  985 |   33 |   56 |  215 |   43 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  200 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|         et-0-0-0-pe02-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 |  985 |  985 |   31 |   54 |  262 |   79 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  200 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider ~~~~

The issue I see is that the worst on the first hop is generally not higher than 10, and your worst is 128, and last is 38. Mine is all 1’s to the first hop. If it’s already that bad getting to your router…

The last couple days have been better for me. I removed my WiFi card and used the onboard wifi and so far my connection is better. A couple d/c’s here and there but so far so good.

Adding that my hardwired desktop has this issue (see other thread: Random freezing issue/WinMTR reports - #3 by Explodinator-argent-dawn) as does my Acer Predator Helios Laptop (i9 10th gen, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060)- on WiFi.

You are all being led down the garden path here. It is highly unlikely to be a client-side issue, as this is a problem that has been widely reported / complained about in certain zones at certain times. As an example, Ardenweald on Oceanic servers was running on 1000ms lag for about two whole days last week. Reported across guild and general chat - many people affected. It is absolutely an issue with Blizzard servers. I haven’t seen any update or acknowledgement of the issue yet from their end.

After some additional troubleshooting and help by an MVP, I may have resolved my issue. I disabled Malware Bytes and things seem to be running much better now. Since I also have Malware Bytes on my laptop, it makes sense it was happening in both places. Check your anti-virus programs!

1 Like

Having issues with World latency as well. spikes up abnormally, especially while running dungeons. Was fine during launch, just started during this latest Patch

1 Like

1000ms latency isn’t what server side lag looks like. High latency numbers are a problem on your way there. Rarely, this can be caused by a faulty UI, and doing a full UI reset will fix it, but typically you’d have to post winmtr type data to figure it out. If you’d like to start a new thread and post a winmtr someone would be happy to take a look.

Server side lag typically happens when your latency numbers look normal. The game is responding with ability delay and lag despite latency numbers looking ok.

Yes, most of the reported cases involve normal client-side latency figures (i.e. 8ms in my case) and horrific actual latency. This is the problem everyone has been complaining about widely across guild and general chats on certain zones/realms.

Here is some more context:

Ability/Loot Lag on Oceanic Servers Despite Normal Latency - Support / Technical Support - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Its been lagging here on America servers as well, I would assume its gonna be the same for Asia and Europe as well. Ofcourse blizz will give you the old ‘its you not us’ routine, and spout some bullcrap about dxdiag and crap like that and give out a half baked answer that culminates up to ‘heck if we know, just give em some techy nonsense’!

3 Likes

More often than not my 50 ms displayed latency feels more like 150-300 ms latency. This is happening in the new Shadowlands zones while older zones seem to exhibit normal levels of latency.

Yesterday afternoon I flew to Maldraxxus and wanted to see if the servers were handling the crush of players wanting to fight a new world boss. I cast a few spells at the flight point and saw they were taking between half a second to a full second from button press to when the spell would start. I gated to another zone and logged off rather than putting up with servers struggling under the load.

Later that night the servers weren’t struggling as bad, but the delay was high enough I wanted to just log off even before the world boss was dead.

Expansion after expansion this is becoming more of a problem. The first I remember was Withered Jim in Azsuna. Then in BfA it was sporadically Boralus for Alliance, Dazar’alor for Horde, and some of the world bosses on weekly reset. Now in Shadowlands it is most new expansion zones depending on how close to primetime hours it is.

Why is it only in WoW that I see this happen?

1 Like

Same here , despite a normal ping on both local and world (150ms ) , feels like a 400ms !!

Massive lag on Bleeding Hollow realm, 10 seconds for any action.

My dude, your not going to believe this. Sorry for the long story but you’ll probably get a laugh or at the very least be left scratching your head. Thanks for your help on here either way Zungar!

I figured out what was wrong… so, I went a little off the deep end. Wednesday night I formatted my ssd and did a full install of windows and updated my motherboard drivers followed by installing all my programs. After that I booted up wow with no addons. No surprise, I didnt have any lag. I started turning them on one by one. First addon i turned on I got lag. This time though it wasnt as bad. So as im setting here watching the screen waiting for the lag, I noticed my second display changed backgrounds, and within a couple seconds I lagged in game… waited another minute. Same thing… go into display options, turn off slideshow. Loaded up all my addons… No lag since. Such a weird interaction. it turned out to not even be my connection. I did replace my old cat5 with a cat6 and got to clean up my installs so at least there is that.

You’re at least the 2nd report we’ve seen of windows desktop sideshow causing lag/freezes. Definitely not the first thing we check.

I myself ever since the raid hit have issues like this. high world ms and home ms spikes. i never had this issue till then. My internet company said its on ur side of things ive had 7 tech visits over the past year. so idk what to do anymore its very unplayable at times with delayed casting. an i also see people skipping around the openworld area’s

this^^^ is the same thing im talking about