High Elf Customizations for Void Elves

Other way around.

They changed the story to fit their current narrative with events that never took place and were never indicated in the Blood Elf starting story as it should have been. So it’s a retcon.

Thank you, Dr.Phil, but me pointing out the stupidity of a troll’s responses doesn’t mean I’m angered by them.

You’ve cited sources that only show a few members of the Blood Elves doing any of that.

According to the devs the Blood elves as a people did not consume Fel. Their eye changed only as a result of Fel Radiation.

You are simply. Wrong.

2 Likes

I mean you’re all over the place from claiming business understanding, to showing an inability of understanding why Blood Elves have Quel’thalas. But sure I guess from your POV it may be the other way around lol.

(Commentary): Nothing was changed though. They covered events we knew nothing about. A retcon is Sargeras corrupting the Eredar, when originally the Eredar corrupted Sargeras. Explaining that Kael’thas returned to Quel’Thalas and then sought the Alliance’s help does nothing to contradict our experiences during WC3: TFT’s Blood Elf campaign in the slightest, and only gives background to the Blood Elf player experience introduced in Burning Crusade.

(Suggestion): If you’re not agitated I might suggest using less aggressive words in your responses. It’ll only make people more hostile towards you and close them off from anything you might have to say.

3 Likes

It’s possible. Another reason hair may not have happened at the same time is because of the accessories (headbands, hair ties, etc.).

I think Blizzard forgot that jewelry textures were part of the skin textures when they first announced the sharing of skin tones. That had no impact on the males, but the the female Void Elf earrings were screwy for a time when the skin tones were first implemented. Blizzard had to make some minor adjustments to the female texture to account for that.

I believe that after they realized that little snafu, and felt the time crunch of release looming, they just decided all that other stuff could wait. It’s probably the same reason we’re not going to see the underwear fixed until the allied race customization pass.

4 Likes

According to Liadrins story that was published way after that Dev comment, some really suspicious mana crystals are coming from murder row.

According to the Isle of Thunder Questlines, magisters used a ton of fel magic and used fel crystals.

According to the behind the scenes footage for the Blood Elves they are propping up their city with fel crystals and they refer to the Blood Elves as losing their way.

According to the Allerian Hold questline, they stay uncorrupted by draining mana from Draenic vessels.

And in the starting zone, A Magister sends you out to drain mana from creatures who are fel corrupted, the Arcane Elementals are turning green from the massive burning green crystals with demons faces on them and when you go into town you see Magisters draining fel energy from those same burning crystals and they will go on to say they miss using fel magic in the isle of thunder.

So despite the developer comment telling you why Farstriders have green eyes, they’ve come out afterwards showing that Blood Elves are exposed to fel energy and drain fel energy, knowingly or not, a lot.

The Liadrin story is published about a decade after that comment and the isle of thunder stuff is several years after that comment. So you don’t really have a leg to stand on here.

I’m not suggesting that the majority of the Blood Elf population knowingly used fel magic, I’m pointing out all the ways they’ve shown you that a Blood Elf is going to consume fel magic anyways.

That being said, that involves underselling just how many Blood Elf mages there are.

That comment is old and there has been plenty of development since then.

1 Like

I didn’t…You brought up the business side. Can’t you even keep track of your own statements?

If you’re going to post here then at least pay attention. No one questioned why Blood Elves live in Quel’thalas. Where are you getting this nonsense from? I brought up the idea of a civil war that would cause their kind to divide, with some joining the Alliance and taking over. That’s not a failure to understand anything, it’s an idea. Please think before posting.

I mean this was your response to me questioning and doubting the opinions you were stating as fact about people being unhappy with Blood Elves.

And then you failed to provide any citation but keep speaking as if so many people agree with this take?

1 Like

Ugh and this benefits who? Blood Elves are seen to be very Pro Horde why would they break with the lore and suddenly skip to this weird WC2 fantasy you have for retaking Quel’thalas?

1 Like

I’m not.

Thats not what the lore currently supports.

The devs have said that it only changed their eye color. So no.

This may have been the case back in WCIII but theres been several changes to the story since. This is no longer correct.

No… its just changing their eye color. That is all. Per the devs…

Yes lets never accept the people who make the games lore for what they say and do and the fact that lore actually supports it.

Thats again a single elf experimenting… Not consuming.

And yeah they used the crystals to keep the city from failing… not to feed themselves.

I’ve also thought this.

Vulpera fit surprisingly well… They’re survivors and vicious despite the gentle and cute look they put up.

So an underground criminal sect?

I can’t find evidence of this. Only that they used the crystals to keep the city running not to feed.

Nothing to do with consuming fel. Using it to keep the city work… sure but not consuming.

Thats cool. Doesn’t say anything about Blood Elves… o-O especially since the Blood Elves that are generally found across Outland are not the Horde ones and did consume Fel.

You get sent to drain magic from mana wyrms who are not affected by the fel in any way.

The elementals are suggested to have been affected by the Wretched using fel crystals on them.

You see magisters doing something to crystals but they’re likely just maintaining them, since the devs say they did not consume fel.

They miss using fel as batteries… cause it was easier.

Except they did not consume fel. They were affected by ambient Fel radiation. Per Blizzard and the lore.

You are pushing the erroneous concept that the Blood Elven people are somehow corrupted by Fel when they’re not.

All of their development since then has gone away from Fel anyways… So… Even if you were right, which you’re not, it would no longer apply.

3 Likes

The beginning questline is about all of the creatures going crazy. That’s why you have to kill the lynxes and forest tenders.

The massive fel Crystal’s on the same platform. See above.

The Devs never said that.

They said fel “radiation” is the cause for how widespread the green eyes are. They don’t say that Blood Elves aren’t consuming fel.

It’s unlikely they are performing crystal maintenance. I’ve never seen anyone maintaining a Mana Crystal. That’s a huge stretch.

My favorite part of this whole mess is the way some people act like the people who are citing devs are just weaving headcanon and that the stories they’ve made up about minor set dressing that is purely visual with no hard information about what is going on is the REAL lore.

3 Likes

They changed a lot. When we met him in WC3, Kael was still in Dalaran where he was during the invasion of Quel’thalas. At no point did he return. He went to Outland and went insane. He was completely engrossed in his pursuit of power and ceased to care about anything else. If there were Elves in Quel’thalas, then communication with them was cutoff.

I suppose. Though it is a pet peeve of mine when people comment without thinking and making me repeat myself. I’m just going to ignore his comments because he has no points to make anyway.

You are

Yes it does, and it most certainly could. Gotta use that imagination and connect the dots. It certainly wouldn’t be any more unlikely than half the crap that’s happened, aka Void Elves. As for them fitting into Horde lore, do they? Blood Elves have been little more than lackeys, playing no significant role. Gee I wonder why.

That’s almost as lazy as the Void Elves themselves, and I’ve never seen them say that. It makes absolutely zero sense for them to channel Fel energy without consequence when every other example of Elves has.

Changing lore to match a new narrative does equate to adding to the lore, it’s a retcon, and unprofessional. Nothing has permanence or meaning when sloppy inconsistent writers vandalize what another writer did before them. This is like JJ and Rian Johnson all over again.

It doesn’t though. Their lore is a mess.

I mean if you gave someone a million dollars you didn’t work for and someone else ten thousand dollars you did work for, I guess the 10k was your hard earned money? But like that other person would have a million dollars now, and you’re arguing the 10k you gave someone is more meaningful because? Or that steps back need to be taken to see why the person who just got a million are still hurting because? The disparity is so unreal to me Idk what your point is, less work was done for VEs? Okay and? You have a second visual theme lol.

(Commentary): It is a matter of Equity and Equality. Equality would be giving everyone the same new thing and being done. Equity is giving everyone what they individually need to accomplish something. So, if the developers decided to take an approach of equality for High Elf customizations to Void Elves and Blood Elves, they’d have added blue eyes and called it a day. Not very equal though, as Blood Elves then can be very convincing High Elves, while Void Elves… aren’t.

(Commentary): What we’ve seen is closer to the approached of Equity. Blood Elves got blue eyes, which is all they really needed. Void Elves, however, needed more than that, and technically they did not receive everything they needed either. What we see is more of an approach of the biggest visual impact for the least significant development time and cost.

(Speculation): Granted, if over the last two years players arguing against High Elves hadn’t gone on and on about how High Elves are a Horde race, how Blood Elves should get blue eyes, etc… and instead spoke about, say, how much they’ve love Dark Ranger/San’layn options attached to their race, perhaps the Devs would have been working on that second more distinct visual identity for them.

(Commentary): I’m hoping Blood Elves got more work done when Void Elves are being worked on. They haven’t yet corrected Void Elf underwear with the new skin tones, so maybe they’ll skin underwear on the Dark Ranger skins and make them available for Blood Elves at the same time.

7 Likes

What we are seeing is a disparity.

Void elves have received more than other ARs, and have received more variety of theme than the race they are based on. Your wording is a bit deceptive as you brush past the whole debate over whether the void elves ‘need’ to have a high elf theme as if it were uncontroversial or equal. That additional theme rises them past equality or equity into their own privileged level that few if any other races have.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying but it disregards the fact VE’s already had a VE theme, the non void elf traditional appearance HE/BE look was already BE’s theme. So it only imo stands if you completely disregard the fact VE’s also have their original theme. Which ties into what Tarrok brings up

This feels way more accurate an observation or as a description of what we’re seeing anyways.

1 Like

(Commentary): Because there is no point to such a debate as the Developers decided for themselves that there is indeed a need for Blood Elves and Void Elves both to have the visual identity of High Elves.

(Commentary): You seem to misunderstand the difference between equality and equity. Some teachers in elementary schools use a very simple exercise with their students to teach them the difference. Each student is asked to invent an imaginary injury or hurt, and the teacher states they will treat it. Typically the first student goes and says they cut their finger, so the teacher applies a bandage to their finger. The next student may have a scraped knee. The teacher applied a bandage to their finger. They do this for each child after the first, regardless of what the claimed injury is. At the end of the exercise the teacher asks how everyone feels, and typically students are confused that they got their finger bandaged when they might’ve had a scraped elbow or knee. The teacher explains they treated everyone equally, so that’s fair, right? Students usually point out that it’s not really helpful or fair because of the obvious reason that everyone needed something different to achieve the end goal of being healthy.

(Commentary): So again, this is a matter of equity. The High Elf aesthetic was deliberately stated to be opened to both Void Elves and Blood Elves. For Blood Elves this was largely a new eye color option. For Void Elves, it’s much more involved. I do feel for those who want a second more distinct visual theme for Blood Elves, and I hope they get it, but what we’re seeing with Void Elves is a good thing.

(Commentary): That doesn’t have anything to do with the developers’ decision to provide the High Elf visual theme to both Void Elves and Blood Elves though. You could argue for the Void Elf theme to be made available to Blood Elves, and see skin tones and hairs copied I imagine.

4 Likes

No, Blizzard should have held to their guns and forced Alliance players to understand that the lore has developed beyond WC2 and that the High Elves are the Blood Elves, and that the Blood Elves are a part of the Horde. A few exiles stayed in the Alliance ranks and that is where this entire problem started.

The kingdom of Quel’thalas is the High Elf homeland. It is Horde territory. Because they joined the Horde.

The High Elves were part of the Alliance for one and a half games. That is it. WC2, and the Human WC3 campaign. In the Frozen Throne expansion, they were run out by Garithos. They were neutral / missing until BC and then reintroduced as part of the Horde. Yet Alliance players will scream endlessly that they are an “iconic” Alliance race. Because of every other Tolkienesque fantasy where Humans, Dwarves, and pretty elves have to fight the Orcs and Trolls and other ugly bad guys. Sorry that Warcraft breaks the mold. You guys got werewolves.

But Alliance wants everything.

1 Like

We’re fine as we are. If you want to play a blood elf play a blood elf.