Healing Updates in The War Within

Hello, healers of Azeroth.

In today’s new Beta build, we’re making some significant changes to healing that we’ve outlined in the development notes. Health pools are increasing (relative to their Dragonflight values), which has changed how it feels to heal other players in a variety of content.

Most notably, we’re reducing the strength of percentage-based healing spells to keep them in-line with their intended power, and we’re increasing the effectiveness of hybrid healing and single target heals to ensure they remain an effective means of defensive power.

We hope with these adjustments that healing doesn’t become any easier or harder. We intend to shift some of the challenging moments from overwhelming bursty damage to a more sustained healing profile.

10 Likes

I do believe healers spells will have to be scaled up to compensate, most heals individually felt like throwing a drop of water on people’s face, so to feel healing impacts they will have to do more to the bigger HP pools

8 Likes

Too good to be true? Or it’s again another lie like all of your previous “healing changes”?

Also I don’t see any changes to healers you are talking about in todays developement notes, only massive nerfs to self sustain abilities of the classes that are not even healers to begin with… What is going on?

3 Likes

lol.

With the exception of druids getting a few 15% increases, the only healing changes in the development notes are nerfs.

I really hope to actually see some of this

Cause it doesn’t seem to be happening this build, unless you did it without documenting it.

Quite frankly from a tuning perspective, you took the one healer who actually felt decent because it could move health bars (holy paladin) and just nerfed the crap out of them.

I’ll state here what I was telling my friends last night in discord when they asked if I was excited about the expansion: if healing continues to be a miserable slog fest where I can’t move a players HP faster than damage happens, then I’ll tank to KSH (which is as high as I care to go) and quit for the season. I’d rather not only play for 2-4 weeks of a season, but the way healers currently feel is absolutely frikin terrible.

Mists of Tirna is probably the easiest key in the rotation right now, but the poisons the staghorns do my shaman can barely keep ONE person alive, let alone more than one individual unless I literally pop all my major CDs (NOT ON FORT). My Druid struggled just as much. Monk wasn’t as bad, because their single target funnel can be pretty good if you’re MW not FW, holy priest can’t manage it (disc? LMAO). Holy Paladin was the only one I didn’t panic on. I haven’t taken preservation in there cause after two keys of people standing 60 yards opposite each other I gave up bothering with that class (despite being my favorite to play).

So unless you’re going to seriously dial back some of the unavoidable damage to the point that it doesn’t do 50-70% per tick of our HP each time, the healing needs a dramatic increase. Heck, need personal defensives into the ground for all I care. I want to be able to adequately move health bars.

Or, better yet, just implement an aura in M+ content that buffs healing done, received, I don’t care and increase mana regen. That way it is only applicable to M+ (where mana is asinine, and ST healing is worst).

Do something, please. Cause right now it feels largely like not a single person on the blizzard team plays, or has played, a healer. If I have to go multiple seasons of healing feeling absolutely terrible, I’ll just unsub (which, frankly, you’d probably be doing me a favor at that point).

33 Likes

If we can’t push health bars up fast (players large health pools, and an overall reduction in healing throughput compared to dragonflight), then you need to reduce the amount/frequency of burst damage in M+ and maybe in raid too depending on tuning. Hmmm

9 Likes

You said this with every iteration of the health increases in DF, and not ONCE did you actually follow through on reducing the burstiness. How about this time you turn the damage down at the same time instead of just promising it and hoping we don’t notice when you forget.

57 Likes

Just for clarification, as I’m a mage who initially did not like what I saw - are you saying that the nerfs to mage % heals is a 40% nerf, because for example, Mages will be 40% tankier?

50/80 = .625
3/5 = .6

This implies our self healing options will be nerfed by 37.5-40% (for frost mages / mages overall)

So does this accompany then 40% more tankiness relative to the expansion content? Will I tank 40% more damage against max level mobs in TWW , as opposed to max level mobs in DF?

So hypothetically speaking, lets say before this change, a mage had 1 million HP, and ice block (at 80%) would heal 800K HP. So what you mean is that same mage will now have 1.6 million HP, and ice block (at 50%) would heal 800K HP?

Healing already feels bad enough as it is, I have no way to compensate for my party making mistakes because I just lack any ability to move healthbars as an rdruid. Since the move you made like this at the beginning of DF, healing has felt bad and trending worse, and I don’t see how doubling down on that mistake is going to fix the issue.

The absolute best way to shift from bursty damage to sustained? It’s really simple - don’t have mobs smack players with giant 90% hp damage abilities. No need to adjust health pools etc. If you want less burst damage, make the mobs do less burst damage.

As it is, in M+ it feels like I heal more via rezzing players that got dropped by near 1-shots that I had no chance to get back up to higher hp than I do by actually healing. Please fix it.

28 Likes

They’ve been told this for 3 seasons in a row, and about to start a 4th and they just refuse to listen. They won’t stop until there are no healers left then wonder why.

23 Likes

Please reduce a bit of the base damage and increase the base health of mobs in keys as well so it becomes more about killing the mobs in time than ccing/surviving them.
The buffer room is great but unless you want to force a hybrid off healer in every group the actual damage mobs do compared to kill time is way off.

Other then that great change in the right direction, i prefer war of attrition healing to this constant on edge gcd trading we’ve had.

4 Likes

I remain unconvinced.  It didn’t work out in Cataclysm, so why would a second round be any different from the past thirteen or so years?

5 Likes

The sheer fact that they said this while simultaneously not posting a single dungeon change in today’s beta build tells me that they once again have literally zero intention of following up on this promise.

23 Likes

You have to also reduce the burst damage in dungeons/raids. Make mob health scale at a much faster rate than damage in M+ so that we hit one-shot territory at much higher key levels.

9 Likes

One week before it goes live, they’re going to increase player health and mob damage by 25% each cause their internal data (lol) says healing is OP.

15 Likes

Are you only increasing hp pools and not increasing enemy damage? If so, then hell yeah.

Whats this mean for tanks? Currently wog for protection paladin on beta is lacking the ability to bring our health back up on our own, which is not good at all for our spec and just isn’t fun in general.

4 Likes

Will you be fixing the attack power based self sustain of specs like prot paladin? This includes healing and self absorbs, both of which are very weak in beta, even compared to ret paladin.

5 Likes

Excuse me where are these changes? Half the healers had no changes to any single target spell, total health pools didn’t change on the beta so I’m just confused. This is just a third or fourth round of saying hey we have more hp now healing is saved!

8 Likes

Did the hp increase apply to players or players and enemies? On beta it looks like enemy hp might have increased.

If want healing to be less bursty, DESIGN BOSSES AND MECHANICS WITH LESS BURSTY DAMAGE!!! How do you not realize this is a problem YOU perpetuate with YOUR design.

15 Likes