Getting False Reported (I can't close or delete this thread, can a GM please do so? Thank you.)

So your so called youtube is basicly worthless if its asmongold. He did that deliberately and blizzard came down on him for it.

3 Likes

Its not just him. It was staysafe as well. And of course he did it deliberately. Thats how testing works.

You don’t know that. You have absolutely no idea how many reported you.

You don’t know that either.

A Youtube video says what the poster wants it to say. It doesn’t mean it has all the information or facts involved.

You only get actioned for language if you actually say something against the EULA and Code of Conduct. You assume a lot if you think that there is a different threshold for both when it comes to squelches.

GMs don’t investigate that.

Some players may only look that you had two WTS posts, not that they were different.

You don’t know how many are reporting you. 10 players reporting you in a one-minute time-frame means more than 250 customers over days/weeks/months. 250 players is a small number compared to the population of a realm.

Those Youtubes are posted by people with an agenda. They want you to believe what they are posting. It doesn’t make what they post the whole story.

The squelch was put in when right-click report was first added to the game. It was there to silence gold-selling accounts until someone could address it. There were two threads about it in the years between that and when Blizzard started with Silences. Then someone told a streamer about it. He tested it. It worked. He got actioned for abusing the report system. Players believed what he said about the squelch, even though he got it wrong. If that streamer hadn’t have done it most players still wouldn’t know it was in the game.

In terms of your account, Blizzard doesn’t treat like they do silences and suspensions. Getting a squelch doesn’t affect your account standing. Only if it leads to a silence or suspension does it put a black mark on your account.

Is that squelch or AFK? Two totally different systems.

It discouraged players from reporting inappropriate activities. They wouldn’t report spam, language or cheating because it required going through the whole ticketing process and could prevent them from filing a ticket for other issues. The right-click report method is faster for players, plus it gathers all the needed log files. The old method required the person working on it to manually gather the log files. A real waste of time that could be better spent working on reports.

GMs don’t investigate this.

The same could be said of someone posting their WTS post.

They are permitted to feel like that just as you are permitted to feel that you aren’t spamming. Just because they don’t have the same opinion as you about it doesn’t make them wrong. It also doesn’t make you wrong. That is why Blizzard says to report what you feel needs to be reported. It doesn’t have to meet any set criteria for someone to report.

Except that they are “testing” without having all the information, so their conclusions are flawed. And they have reasons for getting players to believe what they post.

5 Likes

I don’t need an exact number. 250 is well beyond the squelch requirement. Its just common sense.

See above.

It doesn’t need every little detail. Blizzard said punishments are not automated. They, and me, consider a squelch a punishment, they tested to see how many people it would take to get squelched, and in their video this was roughly somewhere between 10 and 30 people. An automated squelch happened. They were punished automatically, in their eyes and mine, making Blizzard liars. Again, this is our interpretation, similar to how spam is determined by individuals and not defined.

Then I should be fine.

Yes, this is my assumption. It makes sense to me that squelches would have a lower threshold for language than spam.

GMs don’t investigate perceived harassment?

So I could be punished by a players inability to read? Oh boy.

I know its under 250.

And now your assuming time frames.

So is 10, even smaller in-fact.

Again, its how testing works. You don’t need a whole story to test roughly how many reports trigger a squelch. Their “agenda” was to prove you are indeed punished automatically by being mass reported. Because they, and I, and plenty others believe a squelch is a punishment. I just don’t think you like YouTubers/Streamers.

Getting squelched causes a disconnect. They’d report flag carriers to disconnect them and make them easier kill targets/prevent flag caps.

Then they weren’t inappropriate enough to warrant the report. If people truly felt so strongly that they needed to be reported then they’d have done so. I did.

I’ve explained this above. You don’t need all the info. A squelch is a punishment. A squelch is triggered by a threshold of people, 10-30. Thats all we need to know.

Anyway as I said. Gonna move on because this post has devolved into something that should be back in GD. Was kinda hoping to hear that a GM would investigate if I personally felt I was being harassed by the report system, but I suppose not. Oh well. All I can do is hope I’m not punished because “spam” isn’t defined clearly.

They only investigate if you open a ongoing harrassment ticket but the catch is theres no harrassment in this case millions of players could report you and nothing would happen if your innocent. This still doesnt count as harrassment.

4 Likes

Blizz wont punish people for reporting.

A squelch is automated, it takes much more than one report to give you a squelch and they need to be unique reports so if your getting a sqelch it means a large number of people think your being spammy/need to be reported.

The warnings are just that, theres no saved record, all it is, is the system letting you know someone, somewhere has submitted a report. Beyond that it means nothing. Its just a prompt to let people know hey, people dont like what your communicating, review and if needed change the behaviour.

You could be reported 100 times and never even know about it. Or you could be reported by one person and if what your doing warrants it, get a sanction. A squelch is inconvenient, yes, you have gold spammers and the bad minority to thank for that, but on review if youve done nothing wrong, it gets removed.

Blizz will never hard code the definitions of anything, because then people try to dance around and work the system. For posting, the general rule of thumb is one message every 5 minutes (if you double/triple messages even if technically its for different items, it may be considered spam).

4 Likes

Except Blizzard isn’t lying and they have explained quite thoroughly how a squelch is automated and why it was in the game. In fact it was in the game for years before anyone even knew about it and no one complained. The only one that has lied was the YouTuber that posted the video (I refuse to use his name), he was punished for it and quite frankly should never be allowed back on WoW for all the headache his lying has caused.
A squelch is NOT a punishment full stop. It doesn’t matter what you or anyone else thinks about it. Blizzard says it is not a punishment and does not leave a mark on your record BECAUSE it isn’t a punishment. Blizzard is the one who determines what is and isn’t a punishment in their games. Not me and not you.

5 Likes

If I was correct and someone was getting their friends/guild to report me because I’m selling the same thing as them in trade, then I’d consider that harassment. :person_shrugging:

Also if millions of players reported me something would indeed happen. A squelch, which is what I’m trying to avoid. Maybe I haven’t made that clear enough. I’m not all that worried about being actioned, I do not wish to be squelched, as this massively affects my gameplay and is really annoying. I even consider it a form of bullying if I’m found to have done nothing wrong.

They don’t consider it a punishment. Many players do since it functions nearly identical to a silence.

Because it wasn’t an issue back when reporting people took effort. Now trolls take advantage of how simple it is to do to someone.

Its more than Asmongold. Also you bias against content creators is showing. I’m sorry you hate them so much.

Many people believe this. And they use the report system any time he types to try and make it a reality.

It is a punishment to me. No matter what you or Blizzard says. Just because it doesn’t leave a mark doesn’t mean you aren’t subjected to it temporarily. Thats like saying your parents ground you for a day but its not a punishment because a few years from now they won’t even remember it happened.

But apparently not what “spam” is.

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said in this thread until it finally gets through:

What you, or I, or any of the regulars, or your realmmates, or your guildmates, or YouTube videos, or Reddit, or anything else on planet Earth “considers” is IRRELEVANT.

The only thing that matters is what Blizzard thinks. It’s their game, their rules, their penalty volcano. They could action you for having a six-letter character name, if they wish.

It’s. Their. Game.
It’s. Their. Rules.

You don’t have a choice. Period.

Nothing can protect you from being squelched. Blizzard is not going to give a blanket agreement that you can’t be squelched. Blizzard is not going to clearly define the rule, so you can wag your finger at all the “Karens”.

Your realmmates have given you multiple warnings. At least two, possibly three. If you choose to not alter your messages, then you are only increasing the chances it will happen.

3 Likes

Again, it does not matter how many customers you may or may not have. What matters is what you put into chat and how often you repeat said messages. Posting so frequently that you continually push others’ advertisements out of the chat window gets peoples’ attention and they then report you. Enough reports and you’re squelched.

Spam falls under Language insofar as the Terms of Use. In-game it does indeed have its own reporting option. Usually players will use the Spam option when reporting actual spam. If that doesn’t remedy the problem in a reasonable amount of time, some players might choose the Language option as that flags at a higher priority for GMs to look at than just the Spam option. However, players using the incorrect reporting option may be warned (the first time) to be more careful selecting the proper menu item when reporting.

It takes a few dozen unique accounts reporting you in order for for you to either get a warning and/or a squelch. If you’re angering that many players, you need to alter either what you’re posting in chat, and/or how often you post that same message/advertisement.

Again, moderate how often you post advertisements. If players report you and you really aren’t spamming, they can be penalized themselves if they knowingly abused the report system. But you continuing in your current ways and literally inviting reports isn’t helping your cause any here. People need time to read the advertisements and sift through the noise vs. what they’re looking for. Push chat too often and that becomes difficult, especially with lots of others doing the same. I can virtually guarantee you aren’t the only one being reported for such, but since we’re dealing with just you here, the advice to you is that you have to alter how you advertise, since you can only control yourself.

People who respond to your advertisements with offers of their own are not considered. This isn’t a “like vs. dislike” counter. The system only deals with actual reports from players. That’s where the “you” part comes into play.

2 Likes

Except when it comes to my entire issue. The possibility of getting squelched.

I wish they’d clearly define these rules. I wouldn’t even be here if they did.

Which is disgusting. I’ll never understand how anyone at Blizzard ever thought that putting the power to punish in the hands of players would be a good idea.

My messages don’t break Blizzards rules (at least not any that are clearly defined and its impossible to obey a rule thats vague), so I won’t be bullied into changing them. I grew up being bullied. It wasn’t fun. Not gonna let randoms on the internet do it now that I’m an adult. I’m not sorry.

It has been in the game for years, no one noticed at all. It has nothing to do with reporting taking effort, it was literally in the game for years and no one complained.

He was the first and the one that everyone talks about. And my bias is not against content creators so don’t put words in my mouth. My bias is against one content creator who abused their privilege and lied in a stream which has caused nothing but headaches because people believed his lies and STILL want to use it as an example of how the reporting system is completely automated, like what you are doing here.

What you think it is doesn’t matter here, not does what I think it is matter… What matters is what Blizzard thinks. Their game, their rules. It’s that easy. It isn’t a punishment according to Blizzard and so it is treated as not being a punishment.

Except that Blizzard does determine what spam is as they are they only ones that can apply a punishment (not a squelch and actual punishment) to an account for spamming.

Because it happens way more often now because reporting people is so easy now. Surely this isn’t that hard to understand.

He was the first and most popular.

Apologies, you hate Asmon, not all creators.

I didn’t see anything he lied about as I believe a squelch is a punishment. You don’t. Blizzard doesn’t. I see this is causing you as much annoyance the the whole “spam” not being defined is to me. We can just agree to disagree.

Their determination of what “spam” is is apparently just whatever the people who report it consider it to be. Their definition of spam is literally just “whatever your server thinks it is”. Thats not Blizzard having a definition, thats them letting others come up with a definition for them.

Alright, I feel this thread has run its course more times than needed. The OP came here for advice, but it’s only turned into a circular argument. It seems a debate is all that was wanted, not actual advice.

Best of luck to you!

All I wanted was to know if I should open a ticket or not. But people kept coming in and offering advice that does nothing to help since most of it I’m already doing.

The answer to my original question is an obvious no. A GM doesn’t care if I personally feel I’m being harassed. But they do care if others personally feel I’m spamming. Makes no sense to me, but whatever :person_shrugging: . Giving this thread another 5 mins or so to give people time to read this post, then deleting.

You can drop-kick that bullying nonsense right off the edge of the Earth. Come on, now. No need to pick a buzz-word and go there.

Look, this is really, really simple to me:

• This seems to be a report about spamming.
  • You and every other player are equals.
  • You have one (1) opinion about your posting habits.
  • Your realm mates have multiple (>1) complaints over your posting habits.
  • All things being equal, you humble yourself and change your posting habits.

If you cannot deal with squelches, then either change your habits, or (sorry) find another game to play.

Gonna head this one off:

“…see I get no help here, people just saying ‘quit’ and ‘find another game.’”

Well, what else would you actually do? The rules are the rules, they’re not going to change them for one person, and now you feel bullied because of it. That seems like a case of “find a different hobby” if there ever was one.

3 Likes

Bullying. Plain and simple.

My relevant advice is not to crusade over rules. It’s unproductive, generates frustration and anger, and in cases like this, shows a lack of willingness to fall in line with what the general community wants.

You can open a ticket, if you like. If you open it and nothing can be done, no skin off anyone’s back. I dunno why you’d need your fellow players’ approval for that. Especially since a ticket would be discussing why you feel bullied by your fellow players. The same ones you’re asking here for advice.