Getting False Reported (I can't close or delete this thread, can a GM please do so? Thank you.)

Over the last 2 days I have received warnings for “language” twice now. I don’t even talk to anyone or send chat messages outside of advertising profession services in Trade Chat (except people messaging me questions about the crafting system, my prices, my friends/guild, etc.), which according to Blizzard, is the designated channel for doing such things.

Should I open a ticket in-game and see if a GM would be willing to investigate these reports and possibly take action against whoever is false reporting me, as I can only guess at this point its someone getting their friends/guild to report me because I’m trying to sell the same the same items as them and they want to try and prevent me from typing in Trade. Surely this falls under some kind of harassment. I’ve asked some of my friends what to do and thats what they suggest, but others have told me that as long as I haven’t actually done anything wrong nothing will happen. I mostly just don’t want to be squelched as they get more and more people to report me and have to wait until a GM can get around to overturning it or it expires on its own and I lose a day or two of being able to type in chat, pug instanced content, all of the things that being squelched prevents or makes difficult etc.

Ticket would be useless a warning is just that a warning unless ur actualy suspended or silenced u should just be careful.

Also u mite be reported for spam if ur posting in trade too many times in a short period or if your the only one in chat posting and people are getting annoyed.

3 Likes

My problem is that if someone is trying to use the report system to harass me that they could get me squelched since its automated. I’m just wondering if a GM could look into it and see if its just the same people over and over, check my logs to see I’m not swearing, and then possibly take action against people reporting me because to me its harassment.

The only real time a GM is gona look at the chat logs is if u get squelched.

Not any more than an SFA can if it hasn’t led to an actual account action, no. If it’s just a warning, it’s only on the player’s side.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes people just report quickly and don’t always look at the things they’re clicking on as long as it loosely fits the issue. Not always best, but depending on how often you’re posting in that channel, they could be reporting you for spamming and thinking language reports just get looked at faster.

Your friends are also correct-- if Blizzard comes to the decision that nothing is breaking policy, nothing will happen to you.

3 Likes

Alright. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. Just gonna be annoying if this continues and I have to see this warning on a daily basis.

1 Like

Yeah and the whole “spamming” thing is so poorly defined its a little worrying that action could be taken even if I’m only posting every 5 to 10 minutes. I certainly see plenty of crafters posting in trade way more often than me.

Want to give us a example of what ur posting.

This is not the only thing to look out for, either. This time of night it could also depend on how many people are posting between your pitches.

2 Likes

Late at night, even on Proudmoore its usually pretty busy, but I don’t repost until chat has completely faded when its going super slow, which if memory serves takes 3 to 5 minutes at least with no new chat being registered in the window.

Sure.

“Item name” crafting/recrafting available. Guaranteed rank 5. 7.5k your mats (need at least 4 rank 3 alloys). 15k with a Primal Infusion, 30k with Concentrated Infusion (message me for details on this). Send work orders or whisper me :slight_smile:

Then usually another post for a different item a few seconds after. I know that message is a bit long, but I like to give people as much info as possible up front so they have as few questions as possible.

That doesn’t matter in cases of spam if you are still visible when you click the down arrow on your chat pane. Rule of thumb is that if it’s slow, wait until your last post is gone from the chat window completely, or no more than once every 15 - 30 minutes.

This mite be ur problem no one likes a wall of text keep it short keep it simple selling X ur mats or place a work or PM.

I can’t think of any point specifically where my post was still visible in the window without having to scroll up a fair bit. Also 15 to 30 minutes is quite excessive, so many people could have entered and left trade chat in such a time window. I usually wait around 10 minutes during my down time because I tend to tab out and watch YouTube between posts, and videos are usually around 10 mins long. Any longer and I just tab in every 15 minutes or so to repost.

Its not my fault Blizzard made the new crafting system so complicated. Also sometimes I have 5+ people asking me questions at the same time as it is. I want as much info as I can fit into the message to try and avoid confusion answering questions from 5 different people.

1 Like

I really wish this whole trend of “false” reporting mess never came into existence. People may be overzealous at times, especially if they honestly believe you’re spamming. But just based on what we see come through here and what has been stated over and over again by the SFAs? It is not as widespread as people want to believe it is.

People are reporting you. It may be because of the length of your advertisement. It could be because they don’t care for how often you post it. It could be something else entirely that doesn’t have anything to do with the advertising of your services. That doesn’t make it false. They believe you’re breaking the rules, it is their right to report you. If it does get to the point of you being squelched, then it becomes a GM’s call as to whether you were meeting the metric of how they make their determinations.

Yes. I’m sure there are some random cases out there, probably far more prevalent (if that is even such a thing) in the boosting services where it may be competitors reporting one another, but it is not that widespread of an issue. Even then, if you were being continuously squelched by a competitor and their network of accounts and buddies, there would still be a pattern to that behavior for the staff to track. Reporting cuts both ways, especially if the reports are being weaponized.

As has been stated above me, a warning is just that. It’s a warning to check your posting. Maybe slow it down for a bit, maybe your ad is too long, especially when you’re linking multiple pieces. But until it actually gets to the point of you earning a squelch, there isn’t much anyone can do.

6 Likes

I still think its too long and if i kept seeing it over and over id probably report it wall of txt is hard on the eyes.

4 Likes

I mean I’ve had people tell me they’re reporting me for advertising in Trade Chat, and when I tell them that Blizzard has said this is where to do such a thing, they respond with how they don’t care. If thats not a blatantly false report I’m not sure what is to be honest.

Also maybe rather than a false report trend its more like a frivolous report trend. People will just about report you for anything and everything these days.

I certainly hope if this is whats happening that Blizzard can take action against them. To me if this is whats happening its a form of harassment.

I think we need to go back to reports needing areas filled out with text. I imagine we’d see a lot less reports if it took actual effort or time rather than like 3 clicks and done. If your unwilling to fill out the report then to me it seems like whoever your reporting must not have actually done something that bad in the first place. I know if I was gonna report someone seriously a report form and 2 or 3 minutes of having to fill it out wouldn’t stop me from doing the report.

I mean I’m sorry, but I’m not going to just lose potential gold because people get confused because my message is too vague and they don’t want to wait for me to have to explain it to several other people and then get around to explaining it to them. I also don’t want to have to keep track of multiple conversations at once and end up telling someone something that was meant for someone else.

I guess I’ll just let a gm sort it out. Hopefully if they’re going to keep reporting me they just keep reporting me for language since I know I’m not swearing. Though I’d honestly just rather it stop all together.

Also I’m on one of the most populated Alliance realms. Trade chat is always a wall of text. At peak hours both my posts are gone in about 5 seconds.

Heres a screenshot at 12:32 am. I’ve blocked names for privacy but color coded them. The ones that are the same color are from the same person. This is just 1 example, taken way beyond peak hours, of what selling on my servers trade chat is like on a daily basis.

Edit: Just noticed a naughty word, going to edit this post further.

Getting squelched is also not really as big a deal as people make it sound. It’s not a true penalty, just a stopgap, and because more reports pushes an incident higher in the queue, and because a large number of reports is also needed for a squelch to happen, squelch cases would get seen to very quickly. I don’t have data, obviously, but I’d be surprised if false squelches lasted long enough for the victim to even notice most of the time. If they do they might attribute it to a bug and forget about it once everything starts working again.

The overwhelming majority of people who complain they were squelched by people bullying them with reports were actually silenced and spinning a tale of woe to make themselves the victim. Silences can be pretty quick, because Blizzard’s policies are designed such that it doesn’t take much deliberation to decide if something is in violation or not. It’s a pretty quick and easy yes or no. Plus previous cases exist, and training, and so on, so there’s little reason why the decision to silence an account would be slow if the matter is urgent (like if it triggered a squelch).

1 Like