Getting False Reported (I can't close or delete this thread, can a GM please do so? Thank you.)

That might be the problem. You have two messages close together. Even being for different items some might feel it’s spam. Personally I check to see if multiple posts from the same player are for different items before I consider reporting for spam. Not everyone feels that way though.

5 Likes

No, as I explained in your first thread the GMs can not see who reported you or what it was for when it is just an automated warning.

You also use an addon that announces interrupts in groups, which could be what you got reported for.

This is completely automated and cannot be seen or modified by Customer Support.

That would also get you reported.

3 Likes

Reporting has turned more into a way for ppl to harass others. A lot can be done simply by using the ignore button

Unless your violating the rules then those reports do nothing. You will not get a silence or suspension if what you said does not violate the rules!

3 Likes

Or, people can just avoid using profanity, masked profanity, slurs, etc. Getting reported does not do anything (unless squelched) unless a GM agrees with the report. Nobody gets Suspended without a GM verifying it.

Ignore, or the mature language filters are not there to excuse others breaking rules.

Now, if you mean someone is tired of seeing a particular crafter in chat? Sure, ignore works for that as long as they are not spamming.

7 Likes

Simply saying I can immediately place someone on ignore and never see It again instead of waiting on someone else to determine for me,problem solved. But instead ppl maliciously report
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/urgent-banned-offensive-language-auto-ban-unwarranted/1359223

That person seems to have a lot of false assumptions about the report system.

1. Posting on the forums is not how to get a suspension overturned. Only a ticket will do that.
  2. Blizzard only deals with the account holder, not other people.
  3. Assumptions about what got the person suspended are just that, assumptions. Only Blizzard has the logs showing what was reported and verified to earn a Suspension.
  4. A suspension means it was not a first offense.
  5. Any advertising of gambling is against the rules and if reported gets people silenced or suspended.
7 Likes

Dont know the full details either but I believe ignoring would’ve been a simple solution. In the past if you got ignored enough that person would prob resort to name change or playing alt cause no one wanted to associate with them.Kinda self regulating system like this Community council thing

1 Like

Also to add on, the system is NOT automated. Period. If you get an account action such as a suspension or silence it is a MANUAL process done by a GM.

4 Likes

This example is not “malicious reporting”. He was advertising his services in the wrong channel. The new trade chat channel was started in August, and this was in October.

That’s the problem with reading threads on Reddit or Facebook, or even on non-support forums. Also the problem with watching streamers who have an ax to grind, and will do anything to create controversy thus increasing their revenue. The problem is that they, knowingly or unknowingly, are spreading falsehoods.

There is nothing malicious about reporting someone, regardless of intentions. Because the fail-safe is that nothing will happen to the reported player…if they have not broken the rules. That’s the key here. Someone breaks the rules, they are going to get a silence or suspension. It doesn’t matter if the reporter means well, means to get revenge, is angry for losing a BG, or any other reason you can dream up. If no rules are broken, nothing happens.

Now, the squelch is automated, and it’s conceivable that a large group of people could plan their reports to cause a squelch to happen. It’s exceedingly rare (as there are internal fail-safes designed to prevent this), but it’s possible. In those situations, the squelch is removed without penalty, and if Blizzard finds anything devious, those parties will find themselves warned or actioned.

Players are supposed to report anything they think is breaking the rules, and let Blizzard sort it out. There is no need to prove a case, provide evidence, have a rock solid case, etc.

Then why are you linking it here to try and support your argument? From the first post in that thread, the player is not innocent. (That’s another tactic of players: “This thing someone else did was so much worse”. It doesn’t matter. A violation is a violation.)

People like to throw out these “social consequences”, failing to realize that…we tried that. And it led to where we are today: a toxic community, a company that put it on the back burner for far too long, and now a bunch of “shocked” players who thought they were invincible. Many don’t even know the rules, because they rarely got enforced, and they are convinced that they are in the right because they got away with it for so long.

Social consequences mean nothing. It’s the same in WoW Classic today. Bring back those “social consequences”, and players are doing the same crap that they did back when Wrath was retail.

9 Likes

Simply saying ppl over look the ignore option. I personally seen ppl out of frustration report someone for not fort buffing in a BG under game sabatoge

Ignoring someone does not change the behavior. The spam problem got out of control during Legion and BfA, because the solution was simply “download BadBoy”. That doesn’t solve the overall problem; it just means you don’t see it anymore. It’s actually a bit selfish.

Personally, you can do whatever you want. Don’t report, ignore instead; that’s you’re personal decision. Trying to convince others to do the same is going to lead to bigger problems down the road. The only way things get better is for players to learn that certain behaviors are unacceptable, and alter that behavior.

And? People can report for anything reason they want. Blizzard does not require any kind of support or reason. If there was no rules violation, the reported person will never know.

Players are allowed to report any behavior to blizzard, and Blizzard will be the ones to sort it out.

7 Likes

Since what I’ve said is getting dissected and confused, I’ll liberate .
Never advised anyone not to use the report option, I’ve reported before.I don’t set out to change anyones behavior but I do try and set an good example. I don’t expect no one to tolerate abusive or illegal behavior. I encourage everyone to enjoy WoW and “play nice”. The ignore option isn’t selfish, it’s me knowing I have the option as others to resolve issues. Examples I stated was showing ways ppl over use the report option.You think ignoring will lead to problems down the road?,possibly.Mass reporting maybe overloading a system with false reports be bad? possibly
Final thoughts - Ignore/Report responsibly Enjoy WoW!

Squelches prevent you from typing into any chat other than instance, guild, and to friends. It also prevents you from using lfg. I’d no longer be able to use trade chat, pug mythic+, or be in a group if they wanted to use the group finder. Its actually pretty annoying if your actively trying to do anything with other people. It works exactly the same as a silence in every way. The only difference is your account remains in “good standing”.

1 Like

Well, yes, you did. Here:

And here:

That is not only encouraging people to ignore instead of report, you placed a taboo on reporting by calling it “malicious”.

Be that as it may, a clarification is appreciated. However…

Nothing you have given shows that people are “overusing” the feature. The first example you provided was not only valid reporting by the realmmates, but a valid suspension, because the act of promoting carry services in the non-Services Trade channel is not allowed.

The other example was an anecdote that you’ve seen in BG’s. While the reports likely didn’t result in actions, people felt it was a legitimate report and acted as such.

Same thing here. You are declaring them to be “false” reports, when in reality, very few (if any) reports are “false”. Reporting something that turns out to not be a violation is not “false reporting”.

5 Likes

And this is why spam needs to be clearly defined and not “whatever x person feels or thinks”. I’m not a mind reader. I don’t know how every person on my server feels about it. I feel like most people are fine with it considering all of my happy customers. I cannot please everyone with my posts. I’m sure people who don’t use anything Blacksmiths make would rather not see my posts at all, but I can’t control that. Some people consider it “spam” to type anything they don’t want to read whatsoever. :person_shrugging:

Just saying what I do personally isnt encouraging no one.Its exactly what it is, its me saying what I do
Me saying ppl reporting for someone not fort buffing is an example of ppl false reporting

If a GM can’t see what I was reported for how does an investigation ever occur to actually see if I did anything wrong? This doesn’t make any sense to me.

Yes, I do. Which in the roughly 27 hours since the last report I have not done instanced content with random people, so that apparently was not the problem. Nor should it have been in the first place.

“Customer support”. Is that not different than a GM?

Yeah, a word in the screenshot by another person. So I edited it out.

Or are you suggesting I could get reported because a different person than myself used a bad word?

Blizzard, for better or worse, does not clearly define anything. The player base would simply be like “ah ah ah, you didn’t say that was against the rules”. Players try to do that nearly every day in this forum.

It’s not whatever others think. It’s what Blizzard thinks.

Yes, you do. You’ve received two warnings in the last two days. It tells you that your realmmates are not appreciating what you are posting. That is EXACTLY the reason for these warnings.

Agreed. That’s where Blizzard comes in, being the final arbiter of what is an account action or not.

A GM cannot see what caused the warning until they investigate the reports. Even then, I don’t think it tells the GM that you were sent a warning.

Yes, you could. In reality, a Blue poster here is not likely to smack you down, especially if you realize what happened and take steps to correct it. But yes, repeating what someone else said, posting screenshots of what the said, etc. can land you in trouble.

4 Likes

The “rules” here are not clearly defined, as everyone views what is and isn’t “spam” differently.

The rule as I understand it so far seems to be “whatever enough people on the server believe the rule to be”.

Which translates to “it doesn’t matter if you post once every 5 minutes, once an hour, or once a day, if enough people on your server don’t want to see you post your profession services in the proper channel as stated by Blizzard, then its against the rules and punishable”.

2 Likes