GDKP in a nutshell

it’s so clear this MVP has an anti-GDKP bias :expressionless: now’s a good time to remind the forums that green text does not speak for blizzard in any way.

What if that bias exists for a legitimate reason? What if it is because GDKPs are making the game worse and increasing RMT?

1 Like

Umm… it is not speculative at all. Spend some time on the CS forums. People HAVE been banned in Classic for participating in GDKP runs that were used for laundering gold/transferring gold.

There has been thread after thread of these in the past few months. That is why the warnings are out there. Because the warnings come from Blizzard, not me. There have been whole threads debating the “can I get banned if I don’t know the gold was stolen” thing as well. People seem to think intent, or lack of knowledge, saves them when they repeatedly are recipients of stolen/illicit gold. It does not save them.

If you are caught participating in exchange of illicit gold through ANY means, your account is subject to penalties.

No, I don’t speak for Blizzard. I also don’t have some anti GDKP bias as you seem to supposed. I don’t care what loot system people use. I do care that people can avoid getting account penalties.

My goal is to make sure folks understand exactly what Blizzard’s stance is so that they make educated decisions on the risks they take with their accounts.

You not liking Blizzard’s policies does not mean I am biased in some way. I really don’t care if you do GDKP. I just care you don’t advertise in the wrong channel or get caught up in illicit gold trading.

3 Likes

Those penalties need to be much more severe. Perma bans on first offense.

GDKPs should be banned. they’re circumventing game mechanics by selling items that aren’t meant to be sold/traded.

i’ll happily report every GDKP i see

2 Likes

Truly this simple.

It’s a hard truth they can’t swallow. Gotta force it down with some solid report work.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the automated nature of suspensions and think it is beyond the pale bad on Blizz’s part for not caring enough.

That being said, as a community we have to be honest about the subject and recognize the bad activity that is GDKPs.

If reporting for improper channel use is the only tool we have, then by god that’s what we will do. And I’ll not shake my fist at anyone who goes even beyond that.

Hey, maybe this will effect some action on Blizz’s end, either addressing issues with mass reporting, or with gold buying. At the end of the day, the controversy is good to get attention on the subject.

2 Likes

Amen, brother. The Earth Mother smiles upon you

I don’t agree with that at all. It might feel good to people who really hate seeing adverts, but it is not fair to the players. A perma ban for advertising in the wrong channel is not proportional to the nature of the offense.

Things that break real life laws, threaten people, involve actual botting/hacking? Those on the other hand can result in perma bans. Also the tend to perma accounts that are obviously only created to advertise. Usually those use stolen credit cards or funding from their “customers”. sigh

A silence for common minor chat violations, followed by Suspensions for further infractions seems more reasonable than losing a whole account and years of gameplay time.

The Perma ban point was in reference to being involved directly or indirectly with RMT.

If you buy gold, there should be a zero-tolerance, perma ban that follows.

2 Likes

A side effect of perma ban first offense gold buying (or “gold buying”) is someone buying gold and having the recipient being someone you want to get banned, since sales dont go through the game itself, only point of interaction being reception of the product, so you could have people trolling and getting other people perma banned for like a buck. And if anyone says that wouldnt happen, just remember that swatting is a thing and that carries serious IRL consequences.

This is such an easy problem to avoid. No need to even do this cartwheel of logic.

Then elaborate, how would you solve this issue?

The same way corporate america deals with phishing. This is a solved problem.

One thought is that sequestering the GDKP communications away from the bona fide global channels will probably result in fewer GDKPs and push the activity back into the sewers or GDKP discord servers. This will also lead to many fearing that GDKPs are against the spirit and potentially TOS of the game and carry risk, further reducing their impact.
This wont stop gold buying, but it will at least hamper the GDKP gold buying axis.

Again, if gold buying were not possible, then GDKPs would be less an issue. But as I said before, they are symbiotic and must be dealt with.

GDKPs wouldnt be an issue at all if gold buying was actually penalized.

1 Like

Not a description, thats a generalization, how blizz be able to determine if someone was mailed gold from a known RMT seller actually bought the gold?

True, they would be oddities. Everyone knows this deep down.

“oh but I don’t buy gold!”
ya, but the bot gold literally underpins your raiding experience, including your cuts. You don’t need the actual purchased gold in your purse to benefit. You are a gold launderer. You drink at the Cartel’s bar. You frequent their establishments. The roads through the town. etc… etc…

1 Like

The receiving of mail in your mailbox isn’t the “crime”. The accepting is.

So if you receive 100g in your mailbox, randomly, from someone you do not know, it is on you to report that individual.

If you accept that gold, you deserve the ban. Just like real life.

So i click the open button because i sold stuff on the ah and im not paying attention, boom ban, not an unrealistic scenario, counter argument?