GDKP are they bannable?

This might be or might not be the spot to post this. there is a lot of talk about banning gdkps and people that participate.

they have been around for as long as I can remember with the first form of it being item recovery’s to people that payed for it

are gdkps or any form of boosting a bannable offense in any of the warcraft universes?

1 Like

Allowed - but not supported, for gold only.

The hard part is - where did that gold come from? That can come back to bite you.

Best to know everyone you are involved with.

21 Likes

Like Orlyia said if you do not know everyone. If someone is using stolen gold. Well that could possibly lead to an account action for you getting the stolen gold. Gold sellers use these runs to launder gold. Because of that blizzard is taking a more aggressive look at to who is getting said gold.

2 Likes

“acceptable behavior is determined by player reports, and blizzard decision.” that is from the in-game code of conduct, so if enough people report gdkps then blizzard might decide to start banning them

That’s not how it works.

Players aren’t banned just for being in GDKP runs. They’re banned for other reasons, mainly having been identified by Blizzard logs and investigation to have purchased gold from gold sellers, or by receiving gold from such either knowingly or not.

7 Likes

No one is actioned because of player reports! Player reports can lead to actions if the logs justify such action based on someones actions.

People are seeing side effects from these runs because people who buy gold join these runs. Guess what happens when you get some of that gold though one of these runs? Yes you can be actioned. You do not have to buy the gold but just receive it. This is happened as it turns out gold sellers have been using these runs to launder gold. Figuring they could move gold around and make it seem more legit.

7 Likes

That is more to do with chat violations like spam, offensive language; or character/guild/pet names. If players don’t report them, then nothing generally happens. It’s not specifically adding to policy, but more action taken using current rules based on player reports.

7 Likes

it’s under the behavior highlight, not the communication one, it’s support article 42673 for blizzards in-game code of conduct if you wish to google

Here’s the thing:

Blizzard isn’t going to blanket ban X because someone thing it’d fall under such. If it was like that, folks would report anything they think, even the most remotely wrong in someone’s eyes, as report able. Like if a tank going a different way in a dungeon, or a DPS rolling against someone for a piece of gear.

1 Like

So about that. Yes, players reporting something matters. For two reasons:
-Many player created infractions like names or chat are not actively monitored by Blizzard. They need players to report it. So it an important part of the code of conduct system. It also helps to report cheating, throwing, etc.

• For some things, the player opinions matter. Specifically spam. If enough players feel an advertiser in chat is being spammy, it can result in the GM agreeing that it was causing a server disruption and issuing a penalty. Kind of depends on how busy the server is and how sick of seeing the advert people get.

It does NOT mean players can just mass report something and the GMs will agree to action an account for it. You can report me all day long and nothing will happen as long as I did not break any game rules.

People were unhappy with Multiboxing for many many years as well - despite how vocal they were, Blizzard has not “outlawed” it. However they did change their policy on the related software and hardware used to do it because it was being used to cheat.

GDKP as a concept is unlikely to be banished, but methods and tools may be acted on by Blizz and policies can change.

I mean, they COULD just make all gold non-tradeable so there is no trade currency. Bam. No GDKP, no gold theft from accounts, no gold selling, etc. Sometimes the “fix” can be a bit extreme as far as game impact though…

Reporting something that is allowed (GDKP) does not result in anything but wasting your time and theirs. The feedback mechanism you want is the feedback feature in game or the Community section of the forums. The Devs would need to decide the player feedback is enough to make a major game change and/or policy change.

11 Likes

In regards to what the OP is asking - there have been many people who’ve come through here recently. What has been dinging people in regards to GDKPs has been related to tainted gold that people have received. It has nothing to do with the part of the CoC you’re linking.

People are absolutely allowed to make any and all suggestions to what they’d like or wouldn’t like in the game. That doesn’t mean they’ll implement everything that is player-driven.

5 Likes

So I can be banned just by accepting a gold trade or getting mailed gold by someone I don’t know, thinking he was just very charitable and it was just my lucky day?

If it’s something that happens on the regular? Perhaps. Blizzard can trace where the gold is coming from and if you’ve repeatedly been on the receiving end of “random” gold, it may prove to be an issue.

Just a one time random thing where perhaps someone is leaving the server/game and they’re choosing folks to hand their gold to so it doesn’t go to waste? Not so much a red flag. Regularly running GDKPs and regularly receiving illegal gold from an unsupported practice? Big red flag.

Just to stem off this argument - gold going through the AH for legitimate transactions - if you list something and some random person pays for it with illegal gold? There is no way you’d know who is buying your auctions. (But of course if you’re helping to launder gold by constantly working with certain folks to list and buy auctions, that will likely catch up to you. Normal day-to-day transactions aren’t going to open you up to the same thing).

The pairing of unsupported practices and regularly receiving gold from those practices - they’re going to ding you.

11 Likes

If it is once I would doubt that they would do anything. They look for patterns, You doing GDKP runs on a regular basis and getting stolen gold in them on a regular basis kind of thing.

Been playing wow since 2006 and never had anyone randomly trading me gold or sending me gold out of the blue.

If it seems too good to be true…

7 Likes

So can we get a definitive answer from you, why are players who advertise “GDKP GROUP” being muted/banned for promoting something that is “Allowed” and not against ToS?
I think it’s very clear that you guys are not penalizing players for false reporting and abusing the report system in place. So why are you auto-muting/banning players who advertise it? There should be punishment to those who false report, whether you like GDKP or not, you shouldn’t break ToS.
Example: xi. Disruption / Harassment (In ToS)
I just find it weird how if any GM were to do a quick scan of these forums they would easily find 20+ players openly bragging about reporting other players for advertising Gdkps. I can only imagine what a quick siff of the active reports on a daily basis look like.

1 Like

Yes you 100% can be, happened to me. Don’t accept gold and don’t open all on mailbox anymore. Don’t even trade gold cross-server or from Retail to wrath to SoD. It is what it is and we are responsible for everything and anything coming in or out of our account license. If any gold is bought or stolen and is in your possession via trade or mail (even traded through a GDKP) , or a friend trades you bought/stolen gold you are now responsible

Quite often they have used a low level character to advertise but not participating in the run. This is very much against the rules.

5 Likes

A few of my guildies were muted and one was suspended for 3 days for advertising on their lvl 25 SoD character. Whether someone supports Gdkp or not, they’re not breaking any rules in doing so. But multiple players are abusing mass/spam reporting those who advertise it just because they don’t like it. In which, that’s a clear violation of ToS xi. Disruption / Harassment - “griefing,” “abusive behavior or chat, conduct intended to unreasonably undermine or disrupt the Game experiences of others, deliberate inactivity or disconnecting, and/or any other activity which violates Blizzard’s Codes of Conduct or In-Game Policies.”

Ok…

Thing is, is that Blizzard isn’t going to take action just because of multiple reports.

They investigate first.

Blizzard are not going to tell you why anyone else was actioned. It’s between them and Blizzard.

5 Likes