Posted about this in the PTR Forum but opening the conversation here.
Blizzard recently updated the reporting system, where if you report a player in-game, you will be told if action was taken. This is good, particularly because “in real life”, most institutions do not tell you if your reports resulted in an action taken.
However, this does not do anything for the forums. As it stands:
- For every other Blizzard forum, the forums operate via BattleNet ID without the numbers at the end. This prevents players from jumping from forum-targeting to in-game targeting or harassing via the BattleNet chat interface.
- The Forum Ignore system is limited to only a certain “tier” of trust. Any player should have the right to ignore any other player
- The Forum Ignore system is per character. In-game, if you put a player on ignore, their whole account is ignored but only for the character that you were on when ignoring. If you jump to an alt, the person is not ignored. If the person ignored deletes that character in-game, they ignore is removed and thus the account is un-ignored.
- People alt-jump to give the illusion of support.
- People alt-jump to bury posts they don’t like via false reporting.
- People alt-jump to bypass ignores and continue harassment, or continue trolling.
- Reporting is used to bury posts people don’t like.
- The Code of Conduct is unclear in many aspects, due to ambiguity of language and the fact moderators have evidently different standards between each individual in my personal experience.
- The fact when you report a post there is no mandatory box explaining why you are reporting leads to a lack of communication between players, moderators, and the supposed standards.
- Make the WoW Forums in line with every other Blizzard game forum and either make it BattleNet without the final numbers (thus preventing any player from being targeted in-game or in the interface) or a ForumID system of some sort. This would destroy all Alt-Jumping.
The ForumID system is probably better since a lot of people used personal-identifying information in their BNet names when choosing them unfortunately.
- Add examples to the Code of Conduct of what is not and what is permissible.
- Force players to type out what part of the Code of Conduct (or why otherwise) they are reporting a post. This extra effort would dissuade players from simply using the report feature as a dislike button, and would allow moderators to engage with the reasons why players are reporting a post.
- Allow players to continue sending in reports even after a post is “buried” with this explained report function, to give more evidence and provide greater nuance or arguments against the post so moderators can deliberate with greater care.
- Implement on the Forums the same “report confirmation” that is being done in game. If a post we report results in an action taken (or not), tell the players who sent in the reports.
- Revamp the Forum MVP system to help with this end, perhaps to help deliberate internal standards.
- Make ignores on account both in-game and in-forums, rather than per-character.
It’s been changed today that Ignore ignores all characters in-game of the person ignored for your whole account! And that ignore will be given to any user of the forums independent of Trust Level.
Would appreciate if account-based system was brought into the forums in some capacity.