Experiences: Guradian MT scaling broken (Updated)

It’s a public forum and I’ll pretty much say whatever I want, but thanks for your concern! :slight_smile:

It’s not just the tank challenge that’s s wonky. Ive made a ton of progress on Sigryn, but I can’t burn her down before I’m overwhelmed by overlapping boss abilities. I’ve read that people are getting to phase 2 of Kruul, but they die there, I assume to dmg they can’t heal through.

All good! Thanks for sharing!

Hey np… I’m working on getting some pots of unbridled fury too (bleh nazjatar). I’ve heard from quite a few people that the potion when you get the lust point can just eat away at the boss so gonna test it later. =)

I’ll add my two cents.

Speaking from having experienced the Guardian MT back in legion. 7.3 release. I completed it on a couple of Bears. One at ilvl 920 with luffa’s, one at 908 with luffa’s and shoulders, and one at 901 with the GG build using cloak and shoulders.

At the time I found them challenging. Heck I’ll admit I must’ve run 100+ times on my first attempt. It was infuriating to not finish, and a thrill when I did the first time.

Difference is between now and then - I was learning Bear for the skin. I know the class now.

In comparison to now, I’d have to say I’m 80ish runs in. 25 of them to Krull and my best % attempt is 11%.

I’m dying to annihilate. The way I think I’m going to make it through is if all the stars align. If I can:

• Keep 3 orbs to start Krull and lock out the annihilate.
  • Make sure the 4-5 infernals aren’t phased out during the orb, otherwise they’re immune to the stunlock, they can phase in and knock you while you’re trying to thrash down the netherhorrors.
  • Have the kiting at a distance where you’re not punted, and close enough yet far enough from Krull to not be borked with the green puddles of death while timing your interrupts on the insta heal.
  • Time all the CD’s to match up to - Soak/ IF / Survival/ Survival + Barkskin, and not get hit with the 5th. (This is the easiest and one that’s spot on everytime - that’s just playing the game)

I’ve tried with my Bear 224 SL gear, Bear partial TW gear from build guides, and with a bear I left stagnant at BFA (level 50) at ilvl 88. Walking into the MT is little to no difference. If anything the bear I left in BFA did better than the ones in Partial TW or SL gear.

Gear is relatively unimportant. The trinkets made the biggest difference.

• Warped fates is unreliable. Sometimes you despawn the enemies, sometimes you don’t. It’s hit or miss to use that.
  • Cheat death trinket from NH seems to be the best bet.
  • Scale is pretty good, I use it for a clear of the netherhorrors every 3rd set. Works pretty well to save an orb.

In my opinion the scaling is a tad overtuned. Given this is supposed to be challenging but completable. Every run guide I’ve found - is using stun locks strategy - and it seems like they’re getting lucky with the timing of everything (i.e. infernal phasing and orb dropping). I’m all for challenging content, I’d just like it to be tough but fair. If it’s on me great, if it’s just trying to luck out on a run, I don’t find that particularly enjoyable.

• If we had about 15% less HP on the bosses, not even the mobs, Bears would be clearing it in greater numbers.

• If we had an 2-3% flat dmg increase, we’d be able to stack enough DoT’s to make it happen.

• If I could convoke or use a leggo…well let’s not get into the whole borrowed power thing. I’ll keep it to baseline and what we got.

On a survey of about 14 Bear’s (Varied Experience in SL now from recently back to CE raiding to +20 key’s) I know who’ve done the MT in Legion, they’re all feeling the same way about the tuning. 1 Has completed it, and his advice was that he got lucky with the placement of the Infernals and the stun locks.

I hope to complete it, and I’ll keep at it, just want to share my observations so far from the MT.

Regards,

1 Like

Hey, thanks for sharing! I’ve had roughly the same experience.

This is exactly what I’m on about.

I can agree with the points listed. Small buff to our dmg and or a % drop on the boss.

I too will give it another go this morning. Everyone I talked to that completed it says they got lucky too.

2 Likes

Getting lucky as a reason they did it shows it’s horribly out of whack

I got lucky in the original mage tower for prot warrior, I got killed on like the 4th annihilate or something at 1% and the npcs took kruul down :o

Completed mage tower in Legion, can easily/reliably get to P2 with Kruul, but I cannot down Kruul at all. It is way, way overtuned.

People who think it’s at all similar forgot that you could build up a ton of gear in Legion to eventually make the challenges much easier. This is like defeating the mage tower on week 1 of Legion original release.

I disagree with this, I haven’t beat it but at this point the netherspawn aren’t my biggest issue, I’m mostly dealing with them fine. Save your roar and use it right as they finish their aoe cast but before the first tick, timing is tricky but when you do this it prevents them from recasting and you’re free to kill them mostly at your leisure. I try not to use orbs if possible but the first orb or two will despawn before p2 anyway so sometimes I use them to easily bring my hp up to 100.

Otherwise, contrary to most people I’ve seen the most success using resto affinity. I couldn’t get thrash to reach across his circle with balance when I tried and the interrupts are easy enough without typhoon, plus when i skull bash I can get a free thrash on him for bonus dps. Before and after each wave of spawns I try to pop a regrowth/rejuv combo on myself which immediately steals the threat off Velen and keeps me topped off as well. Resto affinity also means I can take stun over hotw for extra stall on annihilate(in theory) My main issue at this point is, as mentioned, P1 takes so long that by P2 I’m overwhelmed by infernals. That and I’m struggling with these shove bars that are just wildly annoying, but that feels like a learning curve more than a scaling issue. Hopefully if and when they fix the scaling I’ll be able to get to P2 faster and it’ll be more manageable without the infernals. Anyway this is what seems to be working the best for me atm, thought I’d share it since a lot of people are still struggling with the standard recommendations.

Edit: Oh, and also I got the hymnal of the path trinket from the world quest in bastion today. I’d check if it’s still up if you don’t have it, it makes a huge difference. It’s a big dps and survivability increase and sometimes seems to just one-shot the eyes. Also heard decanter is good but I haven’t rng’d into that one yet.

Given that the original tank challenge got nerfed 3 times, 4 times if you are pally, it would seem that it was originally tuned for tight numbers checks. Whether it was intentional or not at first we don’t know.

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your strat!

I was saying this situationally.
However, when Variss gets to lower health, you can start to prioritize saving an orb.

The orbs will spawn every 30 seconds or so. It is helpful to drop a marker on them as they spawn, so you know what one spawns first.

Sure, I wish there was a sort of visual indicator for how much time was left on the orbs too. Would be helpful.

1 Like

I can get myself to Phase 2 now quite steadily. Took quite a bit of practice.
However, RNG Is horrible. I can’t get myself to save more than 1 rune going into Phase 2.

Best attempt was at 16%, while most were at 24-26%. I get 1 shot with punch at 3 stacks though Survival instincts. The only reason I made it to 16% that one time, is because I had both SI+Barkskin for 70% DR. On the 4th punch, however, I had no CD’s left whatsoever.

Phase 2 needs a severe nerf.

1 Like

Update; Some Helpful macros to assist you with your attempts:

Setting Focus:

/target Inquisitor Variss
/focus

Interrupt Macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead][@target] Skull Bash

Tormenting Eye/Moonfire:

#showtooltip
/target Tormenting Eye
/cast Moonfire
/targetlasttarget

Orbs:
The orbs will spawn every 30 seconds or so. It is helpful to drop a marker on the first one that spawns, so you know what one de-spawn first.

/Worldmarker [@cursor] 1
1 Like

Go get the cheat death tank trinket from the second boss in Nighthold. Can run it on LFR/Normal/Heroic/Mythic if RNG isn’t in your favor. Helps a lot to be able to essentially eat one Annihilate without fear of dying. Which if you’ve got him to 5%ish, you totally have it.

You got your blue post last night, nerfs incoming

Yup! guess we will see what exactly they change.

Boo! I wish they would leave it. I got to p3 a bunch of times yesterday and am really enjoying it. They just nerd to make it always available and not nerf it. Let people prog on it

No phase 3 in the guardian tower.

Just because one spec may feel right, or appropriately challenging, doesn’t mean that all are.

Source: multiple runs on almost all classes.