Easing Transmog Restrictions - 9.1.5 Wishlist

Hi everyone!

I understand that this post may seem daunting or too long, so I’ll open with a TL;DR right off the bat.

TL;DR
Class Silhouette - the identification of one’s in-game class based on their visual armor or weapons - is cited as a reason for out of date transmog limitations that I feel would be huge ‘simple win’ for the community without breaking many RPG aspects within WoW.

Using Class Silhouette, what class is this Lady Tauren?

Things like Warglaives being locked to Demon Hunters (despite how many non-demon hunters in lore/in game wield them) and other weapon types shouldn’t be limited in their class-use when we play in an age of World of Warcraft with Cosmetic sets and heritage armor. In this age, the set on the left is seen as ‘appropriate’ silhouette wise but the set on the right is ‘confusing and misleading’’.

Paladin on the left fits ‘class silhouette’ but the hunter on right with a glaive doesn’t?

I’ve broken down the argument with pictures and examples and hope the right folks see it.

Class Silhouette

Class silhouette is an important visual-feature for any character-based game; being able to identify the role or job of the character in question simply by identifying their attire is a staple in any RPG. Whether it’s the plate-clad crusader or the leather-tunic wearing assassin or the flowing robes of the exiled arcanist, the initial first-glance look is key to role identity.

The solid plate, big sword. It’s clearly a….Paladin? DK? Warrior??

I had the privilege of interviewing Steve Danuser and Morgan Day for Blizzconline and during the interview, I brought up Warglaives and how they, as a weapon type, are one of the most restricted weapons in game despite 15 years of lore indicating that they are a multicultural weapon. The response given revolved around the concept of ‘Class silhouette’ and staying true to it : “a character approaching you with glaives should instantly be recognized as a Demon Hunter”. But it’s not the weapon type that signals my brain to think ‘Oh that’s a Demon Hunter’. It’s the Fel Dash, the beam of Fel Energy, the green-fire attacks and the dark purple class name that reads ‘Demon Hunter’.

In-game scenarios that demanded quick reaction, such as Battlegrounds and Arenas, relied on immediate class identification. But was the Demon Hunter identified because of their iconic weapons in hand or because of the visual spell kits associated with their abilities and class?

Each class has a distinct identifiable visual kit that is unique enough to indicate what they are from first glance.

Why Class Silhouette shouldn’t matter in modern World of Warcraft:

Allow me to first say that Class Silhouette is important when it comes to tier class sets. Pre-BFA, Antorus the Burning Throne and all the raids before it introduced armor sets that expanded on the class identity it represented. It was important that each of these new sets thematically fit both the class they represented and (oftentimes) the location of the raid they dropped within.

But since the Burning Crusade, many class sets have been given the ‘look alike’ treatment in which off-colors for class tier sets are made available to other classes within that armor type. The iconic tier 1 Warrior set was introduced with an off color variant in BC, in which both Paladins and Warrior could wield the set, despite it being an immediately recognizable ‘Warrior tier’. Since then, in nearly every raid that has introduced tier sets, ‘look alike’ sets have been made available. The entire point of these ‘lookalike sets’ is to allow for greater representation between classes and offer some variety and flair to those within the same armor class type.

He’s a Warrior - you can tell by his lack of blue scary eyes. I mean silhouette.

Transmogrification and Cosmetic

Transmog changed the concept of Class Silhouette since the day it was introduced. Over the years, as Transmog restrictions have been loosened, players have been able to customize their character beyond the typical ‘Class Silhouette’ and expand their characters representation through a variety of means.

One such method is the introduction to cosmetic gear and heritage armor. From the iconic Stormwind guard set looking like solid, heavy plate to the most recent Venthyr cosmetic sets that look like finely tailored suits, cosmetic gear has not only allowed but encouraged the disruption of ‘Class silhouette’.

Which one is the mage and which one is the Monk? Neither, they’re both hunters!

Whether it’s heritage armor or Covenant cosmetic gear, class silhouettes based off Transmog alone have pretty much been thrown out of the window. Lightforged Draenei Heritage armor allows any class to adorn themselves in solid plate, while Tauren of any class can wear the wooden and leather pieces of their heritage set. With the option to look like one class while playing another, it begs the question why some restrictions are still in play.

The Lady is a Hunter and the Dude is a monk with hidden fist weapon mogs. But silhouette wise??

What can we gain from easing restrictions on ‘Class Silhouette’

This whole conversation on class silhouette stemmed from the interview and I hope some changes are loosened up, starting first with Warglaives.

Where’s my Survival hunter dual wielding?

Warglaives:

Warglaives as a weapon type have no business being locked to a single class playable by only two races. Ranged weapons used by Hunters isn’t an appropriate comparison because every race in game can play as a Hunter, while only two races can be Demon Hunters.

No player can look look like this in game because that is the Mail Darkshore set with Glaives

Since Warcraft 3, the concept of a Glaive has been represented as a cultural weapon for the Kaldorei race and usable by not just demon hunters but by sentinels, huntresses, wardens and more. Over the years, the tri-blade has come to represent the Night Elves as both a weapon of choice and as literally part of their racial crest, yet the only tri-blades in game are classified as a weapon type that is usable by the Fel-ridden Kaldorei outcasts.

Night Elves aside, two other Elves have symbolically used glaives over the years: Blood Elves and Nightborne. Now, while Demon Hunters are largely made up of Sindorei, the vast array of NPC’s within Silvermoon who are armed with glaives are 100% not Demon Hunters. The many guards and soldiers that patrol the streets of Suramar are armed with the iconic double-edged blade, and yet none of them are actually Demon Hunters.

Beautiful weapons that are sadly NPC only

Before the Elves, we can look to Trolls (who were likely the ones to use glaives first historically). Darkspear Shadowhunters, including Vol’jin, have used glaives in-game for years with the Darkspear chieftain even dying on the Broken Shore with a glaive in hand.

These races aside, my main argument for warglaive restriction being loosened is largely based on the original glaive in game: the Twinblades of Azzinoth. Originally, these iconic weapons were used by Warriors and Rogues and later, Death Knights and Monks. Despite the fact that they are very clearly glaives, they were branded as one-handed swords which begs the question: if these were easily branded as swords, why can’t modern glaives be given the same treatment?

Let’s bring back this iconic look!

The glaives in-game today represent a variety of races and themed kits - Horde/Alliance Warfronts, Forsaken, Kul Tiras, Zandalar- and none of them are ‘thematically’ appropriate to the Demon Hunter class. If these weapons are used by NPC’s and none of them are actually Demon Hunters, then why can not let Non-Demon Hunter players wield them?

A human….using a glaive?!

Even most recently, we’ve seen Tyrande Whisperwind, the Night Warrior clashing with Sylvanas using glaives.

So, again I ask: Why are glaives crucial to a Demon Hunters class silhouette when they can just as easily transmog their glaives to swords or axes, equip and ‘hide’ their identity.

Rogue, Monk or Demon Hunter?

Warglaive Animation Problem:

Unlike most classes which share most of the same special animations for their class, while defaulting to basic weapon attack animations, Blood Elf and Night Elves have unique demon-hunter only animations that are used when Glaives are equipped; no other race has these animations.

Demon Hunters deserve the unique animation for glaives, while other classes could merely default to 1-handed swords. The Twinblades of Azzinoth and several glaive-lookalike weapons use default 1-handed sword combat animations, so why not allow warglaives as a weapon type simply default like all swords, axes and maces?

Clipping may occur but considering how many weapons in game already clip from their basic animations, or even while ‘sheathed’, I don’t think this should be the argument that warglaives should stay Demon Hunter only!

Monks, Warriors, Rogues, Death Knights should all be allowed to use glaives. In addition, go one step further and let Enhancement shamans, Paladins and even casters use a single glaive in their main hand - they’re just swords right?

Other changes:

In addition to warglaives, several other weapon restrictions could be loosened to expand freedom of choice!

Any class capable of using staves should be able to transmog polearms and vice versa.

Mages and Warlocks and Priests should all be able to use one-handed maces and one-handed swords. If a Mage can wield a sword, why can’t a Priest?

Assassination Rogues should be able to expand their weapon capability by transmogging their daggers to any other one-handed weapon.

Give Enhancement Shaman some more freedom and an iconic throw-back to Vanilla wow by making 2-handed Enhancement viable (visually, through transmog)

Survival Hunters should be able to use one handed weapons again (including glaives) and allow for some more freedom with an otherwise underplayed spec.

In conclusion (because this is already long enough):

Class silhouettes are important for the game, yes, but when it comes to identifying a class based on armor alone, those days are long gone. Spell animations, visual effects and class-specific sets should fit within the appropriate class silhouette - the rest should be up to the players.

Player agency for visual customization is a crucial part of the RPG element for WoW and while the restrictions that have been removed over the years have been fantastic, I believe more can be done to give players more freedom, while still staying within certain boundaries that make sense within the RPG gameplay.

The individual-shoulder options in 9.1 were a fantastic addition to the game - I hope that in 9.1.5 or 9.2, more changes can be made and more freedom given. All it takes is opening a few weapon types and a little flexibility with who can use what.

Thank you for reading this thread!

Are there any transmog changes (within reason) that you would like to see?

“Getting rid of all armor types” or “let me dua-lwield guns” will never happen in a minor patch, so let’s hear some plausible small-changes that would be a huge win for us!

This isn’t an invitation to insult Devs, degrade their work or bring typical internet negativity into the conversation but rather to open up the floor for honest, heartfelt feedback

:rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat:
Posting on behalf of the Lost Codex
More info and pictures/references found here:

120 Likes

As the original OP from the Twitter links, I wanted to bring this conversation to the Forums for discussion and more dialogue.

I was tempted to bring up class armor types since I know that is a hot topic in the community, but I think WoW’s armor classes make sense with cosmetic and heritage being the perfect ‘in-between’.

I do think weapons are where the ‘freedom’ should be loosened a bit!

12 Likes

Actually I do have something else to add here of a bit of a personal wishlist, there’s a vendor in Org / SW that has the Exile’s Reach weapons that you can just buy and get the appearances for, but there were also originally more “new player” weapons that are in the game files but not sold. They could be added as items to this vendor. As just one example, some glaives.

A thread where I initially datamined these appearances as well:

Additionally, I hope that one day my blood elf warrior can be like the actual spellbreakers / guards

21 Likes

The entire warglaive class needs to be both useable and transmoggable by more classes. I say rogue, warrior, dk, and monk should all be able to use them - including Azzinoth. They also need to remove the timewalking requirement for the Warglaives of Azzinoth. Getting the pair is still rather time consuming (unless you’re really really lucky.)

9 Likes

I have the health bars on. I can see class colours over people’s heads.

I don’t even PvP and I can tell who everyone is before I even look at the character itself.

I pretty much believe almost all mog restrictions should be removed.

16 Likes

Not just the glaives and shield, but the outfit the guards are wearing too!

They’re pretty much just a simplified version of the heritage armor, so why not add that in game for Blood Elves only?

2 Likes

I agree - most people use health bars showing or addons to identify who they’re fighting. It makes zero sense to use a silhouette of ones transmog as the means to identify.

I, personally, am fine with the armor restriction being kept in so long as cosmetic armor keeps coming out and variance is introduced - cloth sets that don’t look 100% like robes, leather sets that look a bit lighter/cloth like, etc

1 Like

I hate the fact you’re putting a lot effort into this very passionately and I respect that. It’s just this company sees little in this sort of feedback and gets thrown into the Dumpster Of No Hope Of Returning To Surface. However with my blind faith I will support it because of some random hope that someone in this tainted forsaken company will actually listen. Heck I wish we could remove pants and the restriction of holiday events transmog to be on FF14 plus other mmorpgs level.

It’s just this company is so egotistically stubborn to make pros for this game and forever stay in the cons. I don’t know when their stubborn downward spiral con cycle will end, but I hope it’s in the near future…for their sake.

4 Likes

One of the major reason i like wow system is that i can tell if the player is in fact using plate, cloth, leather or mail by just looking at them, Then with some extra infos such as their weapon, HP and race i figure out their class, their damage output and their surviability easily.

On elder scrolls online for example you have no restrictions but when doing pvp and pve i never know what to expect because of what their character shows is completely irrelevant. And it lacks all other infos aswell, but the armor is a large issue imo.

I much prefer the current system, i don’t like things overly silly which always happens when armor restrictions go away.

And ironically i believe those restrictions end up giving more variety because more types of armors are around… instead of warriors deep diving in skimpy robes alognside daggers when he is clearly using a two hand weapon.

1 Like

It feels bad looking at the work and passion in this post, and just knowing OP put more work, and thought into this idea than Blizzard ever will.

10 Likes

I’d argue that you can maintain class identity via armor class - keep plate, leather, cloth and mail - while also expanding beyond the norm.

Glaives on a class aren’t gonna determine what class they are for ya - when they unleash their fire elemental you know they’re a Shaman. When they roll towards you’ll know they’re a monk and when they suddenly vanish from sight, prepare for a rogue.

Heritage armor and cosmetic armor already allows for that. Warriors don’t NEED to look like a Warhammer character in full solid plate. Dwarves can use their heritage armor pieces to go full Barbarian-in-leather look like Diablo Barbarians, while a DK can use the Maldraxxus Cosmetic gear and create a WC3 Style Necromancer with a Runeblade!

Some freedom can be a great thing; total freedom is a bit much.

2 Likes

“We want our game to be serious!”

Battle bikinis, cartoony quests running over gnomes for the 8th time because people liked the Uldum quest, a story that basically comes off being told like having someone on acid explain the story of Lord of the Rings to you.

They’re serious, but only when they deem so. Just like how we can ban a player because “This is not a political platform!”. . . only to have Blizzard retweeting political activism, or wedging it into the game’s narratives. “This isn’t a political platform, except it is!”

Yeah Blizzard are the kings of double standards to justify dumb decisions and even funnier, they don’t even realize how much they contradict themselves that makes people raise an eyebrow. (Apparently the word I wanted to use, a word beginning with “c”, something you do to a gun is censored. . . Genius Blizzard. I am sure we needed to censor that word because people would totally just openly use that word here and risk getting insta vacationed.)

4 Likes

I saw a warrior transmog with a staff that looked like a priest.

It’s so hard to tell classes nowdays with just looks alone.

2 Likes

All other mmorpg games just flex and dominate in other areas WoW lacks on. To be honest what does WoW flex on other mmorpgs besides races and expansions though that’s still not a strong feat in the long run.

Raids, I believe WoW is still top for that.

1 Like

Half-Truth but what will be their appeal then?
Thats exactly why we have them.
Know why half truth? because they are race specific and by it you knwo it cant be any class. You wont see a nightborne outfit in a shaman.

I am sorry but i cant phantom to imagine a warrior using one dagger and a stick to deep dive against a monster or a large group.
It looks too silly, and honestly not like a RPG at all imo.

Dont get me wrong but if your whole argument is “they are dumb and this is s****” you might aswell give up on arguing.
I told a reason which matchs rpg and gameplay.
You are no more right than anyone on this matter.

That is true until a game tops that over. FF14 isn’t far behind on that one for sure, but if other competitors gets on that level and considering Riot Games mmorpg is in development. Then it’s only a matter of time.

Bingo!

‘Class Silhouette’ simply does not exist in modern WoW. Cosmetic pieces, heritage pieces and disabling pieces simply allows everyone to look so beyond their intended ‘class look’ - which is NOT, by any means, a bad thing!

Freedom to express how our character looks should be encouraged!

6 Likes

I’m probably the worst person to ask this question to because I’ve been disillusioned with WoW since 3.2 and a lot of the changes they were making that I identified early as probably leading to this.

Though as a former WoW diehard, not really much. It makes a game that is a lot easier for people to get mileage out of little time. Combat feels good from the start, a lot of other games it takes a while to get interesting or understand. FFXIV is a prime example of boring combat until like 60 when you start having to weave or double weave which is a good chunk of hours into the game.

WoW mostly exists now for the same reason EverQuest does. It’s a relic and has an established name. The days of WoW just being the quintessential MMO are long gone. The market shifted from trying to copy WoW outright and put their spin on it to identifying what WoW does poorly and doing it better as a main selling point then growing the game over time.

I’ve said for years if you released WoD, Legion, BFA, or Shadowlands as standalone MMOs WITHOUT the “World of Warcraft” in front of it, most people wouldn’t bother. They’d be dead MMOs on launch and relegated to free-to-play super cash shop games like Black Desert Online in a month.

Every competitor that came to WoW imploded. They got lazy on that, the battles fought themselves because their foes would have internal strife in the community over how unfinished the game was. Now they’re in a battle they actually need to start doing SOMETHING about and they’re just figuring the problem will go away in enough time. Even more amusing, every single one of their main competitors right now are games that fell apart on their release, clung on to a few dedicated fans and changed course. Most of them mostly only grew as WoW began to make its own mistakes. WoW never dealt a finishing blow figuring they’d just bleed out while Blizzard walked forward gradually accumulating injury from each fight. The other games crawled into a cave, tended their wounds, worked even harder, worked on their weakpoints, and came back for round 2.

World of Warcraft right now reminds me of that meme of the white girl on the sofa with 5 big guys behind her.

6 Likes

Having faction/race/class distinctions adds complexity, variety and flavor to the game.

There are literally hundreds of transmog items for each armour type so there is no practical reason to ease transmog restriction. My mage, warlock and priestess alone have one hundred and eighty-nine robes to choose from. That is way more than enough. Even if I had a fourth of the allowed characters, which would be about twelve, it would be way more than enough.

Want to use glaive, just make a demon hunter and stop trying to homogenize the classes to satisfy your self-seeking desires.

1 Like