Does anyone want Alterac Valley more like 1.6?

The Alterac Valley in 1.12 was quite a bit toned down compared to it’s original version, i feel like AV got more boring with future patches because it’s challenge was mostly removed & it was overall less dangerous.

Adding back Korak & buffing the NPC’s to have more HP at least would be a nice compromise.

35 Likes

Nearly everyone wants early AV because it is better and more “Vanilla”.

The only people who don’t are well… those people.

31 Likes

1.7. 1.7 fixed that stupid thing where you would get interrupted while drinking every time someone did a turn in. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but I sure as hell noticed it.

5 Likes

You mean “those people” who actually played during 1.6 and complained that AV was “too much PvE in my PvP” ?

1 Like

Got any data to back this up?

1 Like

That was kind of the point though, AV was a PVE/PVP hybrid. if you wanted pure PVP, go to AB/WSG.

17 Likes

The best thing about Vanilla AV was that it was a good blend of PvE and PvP. Even if you weren’t a hardcore PvP player, or even interested in PvP, you could still join the battle and do stuff to help your side PvE-wise. You could kill gnolls, catch and return wolves, clear out the mines, all of that kind of stuff. You could even assault the bunkers and help take out the officers and other NPCs guarding them.

1.12 got rid of all of that and made it just another “GO GO GO!” battleground. Just look at the drop item, Peeling the Onion, and ask yourself if the current version of AV even remotely comports with what is in that book.

18 Likes

Keywords: “too much”

Almost the whole battleground was PvE and fighting NPCs, in 1.6 AV.

here’s what would happen. Barely any one would play it until it is AV weekend, and then it would revolve around alliance purposefully losing because getting a loss and 1 mark quickly is better honor than fighting a turtle. The private servers tried the old way and this is the meta that developed. It will be similar because people want to rank up and will do whatever is the best honor per hour.

The problem is not the BG, the problem is today’s players don’t want to spend 6+ hours in a single BG, and I don’t blame them.

2 Likes

And when players will understand that you can just rush boss to get fast result, they will.
It’ll be : the faster to kill the boss,a 3 to 6min battleground.

1 Like

AV was never meant to be a pure PVP or PVE experience, it’s both and has something for every kind of player.

PVP players who’re totally hell bent on PVP can do battle and keep that part of the game flowing.

PVE World players can do the side quests and keep that part of the OLD AV going.

PVE dungeon players can do those slightly harder side group quests while keeping the OLD AV going.

PVE Raiders can deal with the raid bosses that require that skill set.

AV Before it’s nerfs was the essence of Vanilla WoW because it was essentially Vanilla WoW in a single experience that anyone could participate in.

AV could bring a non-raider in on a raid experience and that may be the impetus that got some players interested in raiding.

AV could bring a PVE guy into a PVP situation and get him excited for PVP and more involved in something like AB or WSG.

AV could be the thing that got a Dungeoneer into Raiding or World content or even PVP.

This was the singular shared experience that could show anyone the basics of the entire game, and nerfing that to the ground so that it’s only for PVP guys is DUMB.

20 Likes

Actually a Majority of people on here do, look at the upvotes of the AV thread by the blizzard CM and the post by one of the people here wanting an under version.

Edit : Here’s some proof if you’d like take it with a grain of salt

115 hearts. Vs

Having 464 hearts.

I would like to note that One was pinned, the one posted by the CM while the other was not. I think the majority understand that Older AV was and always has been a PVE mans BG, if you wanted more generic PVP zerg stomps etc, you’d do WSG and on the weekend AB W pvp etc. you let the dragonslayers have fun in the snow mountains, and the world had balance.

7 Likes

Everyone keeps saying 1.12 was toned down compared to its “original version” except, and correct me if I’m wrong, 1.12 came out like 5 weeks after launch before the holidays of '04. The version people remember is the one, as OP stated, that came later with the increased NPCs. Incidentally, as I remember it, the version OP is talking about was the one that literally lasted for days on end.

1 Like

This sounds an awful lot like “you think you do, but you don’t”

2 Likes

1.12 came out nearly two years after Launch, about 21 months.

You’re thinking of 1.1.2

2 Likes

I am always skeptical about those comments. I suspect people that say that tried AV once or twice, got killed by some NPC’s and ranted on the forums.

The stronger and more numerous NPC’s are what forced pvp. It was only once they were toned down/removed that the “zerg the boss” strat became viable. You know, the version where both factions do their absolute very best to avoid the enemy faction completely? Yah, that version.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Darn, if only they had two other BGs, a couple of Arenas, and world PvP to do instead of one battleground designed to simulate a real battleground.

3 Likes

If AV would be played the way it was during 1.6, I would be all for that version of it. But everyone would just zerg past all of the “PvE” in under 2 hours. 1.12 did not create the zerg, players did. Pservers use a version of AV that is very close to 1.6, and they zerg.

I kind of wish they would release 1.6 just so ya’ll could see that. But more than likely you would all just return here and complain that they’ve changed something about it and it isn’t really 1.6.