[CS Lounge] Summer time sunny days

Just give the centaur some hugs. It is the best we can offer.

4 Likes

Hayden Christensen

Just to help out.

Just to help out as well.

1 Like

Pizza tonight! Me and Dad are gonna watch the last episode of the Acolyte. Been enjoying it.

3 Likes

That was an amzing show. Down with the haters.

1 Like

The wife and I were just trying to decide what to have and we landed on McD’s!!! YAY!!!

I might have nuggets some subliminal messaging and fries to help BigMac her decision.

2 Likes

I had Maccas last week, and couldn’t even eat the food. Like, there was something about the food that didn’t even taste right, let alone, didn’t even feel properly cooked.

The only thing I will eat at Micky D’s is their chicken nuggets.

Long ago, I got a burger from there, and it was disgusting. It was dripping with grease, almost like they took the patties, dipped them in a tub of grease, put them on a bun, and served them.

Harlyfly!!

2 Likes

So are you guys affected by the microsoft issues.

Microsoft is an issue lmao

3 Likes

Build a handheld version of those floor zambonis you see in hospitals and wax your head in style!

And it’s only begun with them. Copilot+ that they’re going to try and foist on everyone, and on any system that has Windows 11 as the bare minimum allowed OS, they’re also the gatekeeper for literally every other OS on the planet as they alone get to decide whether or not to digitally sign an OS’ bootloader since Windows 11 requires secure boot to be enabled (yes you can get around it, no you shouldn’t, especially if you aren’t a sysadmin that knows what you’re doing).

The Crowdstrike issue reminds me of a massive blunder from Google when they issued a Chrome update a few years ago that actually deleted one of the required macOS system directories. We’re talking one of the hidden ones required for the system to even boot. Since then Chrome lives on no devices I own. Ever. Not even on my Samsung S22 Ultra.

1 Like

Don’t break my Mac’s, that’s the only OS I know.

1 Like

Of fart theres no windows.

When I worked as a GM for [Redacted] the key thing our lead would say is “help those that want to be helped, those that are here to vent can go vent in a corner”

4 Likes

Mac was unaffected by this, but mac also has some extra security features that windows doesn’t (at least for OS integrity).

Core system files are on a cryptographically signed separate volume, which is verified before the default security settings allow the OS to boot. No non-apple code ends up on this volume, as it’s mounted as read only while the OS is running. The only thing that ever changes it is software updates.

This is true for all modern macOS. There are still a loooooooot of macs out there running OSes that don’t use this partitioning scheme because of how Apple fractures its support on a yearly basis (one of the reasons I’m unable to play WoW currently as I haven’t been able to either get a usable mouse curve under any software in Windows for use with WoW or get a working configuration with the controller because WoW’s built in controller support does not support a hybrid control scheme where one uses a controller + mouse combo (using one disables the other during use and even with Joy2Key I can’t click while using the controller, whereas I could in macOS w/ USB Overdrive).

Aaaaaaaaaanywho, yeah, this latest bruehaha shows just how vulnerable the tech sector truly is even to the most mundane of processes (e.g. a software update).

3 Likes

IIRC, it came into play with Big Sur in 2020, which has pretty broad back to 2013/2014 models.

But also, if you’re unable to run wow on a mac for OS reasons, the computer is at least 12 years old, and is probably unsupported for other reasons (most probable is GPU Vram requirements, or CPU support).

I heard that it was a simple mistake. Instructed it to look at NULL.

It’s the GPU actually. Priot to getting my current GPU (ASUS Strix 4090) I had an EVGA 1080 Ti. It was supported via nVidia’s web drivers, but 10.13.6 (High Sierra) was the last OS Apple signed nVidia’s web drivers for. Basically the two had a pissing contest and Apple said screw you to nVidia and no more OS updates for me. If I had the knowhow I’d port linux drivers over to macOS. That would let me have that OS back to play on. Sadly I don’t, so I’m kinda SOL there.

WoW’s controller support is decent, but for controllers only. Hybrid setups aren’t feasible because the controller being used cancels out mouse movement in WoW, meaning I can’t move with the controller and click my abilities with the mouse like I could under macOS. Using Joy2Key doesn’t solve that problem either because I lose the ability to click while using the controller to move (I had Joy2Key set to use the arrow keys for controller movement, identical to how I had it set up in USB Overdrive under macOS). Whatever interaction Joy2Key has with WoW it prevents clicking while using input that it controls. This was probably avoided with USB OD due to the fact that USB OD was controlling both the mouse and controller simultaneously as Logitech’s software never supported my G9x mouse on macOS and I needed something far faster than the built in mouse speed, which is dog slow for non-Apple mice.

The only two things holding me back from WoW are the lack of true hybrid controller/mouse support and those awful round bags. I need the square ones due to lesser fine motor control on my mouse arm (deformed right arm). And I can’t use an addon to get the originals back because when taint happens, you lose the ability to click anything while in combat, and I’m a clicker by necessity, plus I need the square bag icons back because there is no gap between them, meaning clicking position is much more forgiving for disabled folks like myself than it is where there are gaps.