[CS Lounge] Summer time sunny days

I know, what is wrong with those people?

Anyway, here’s what counts for a recipe at my house. I call it not-fried rice. Leftovers are great for any of the ingredients except scrambled egg.

1. Get cooked meat. I usually buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and pull all the meat off as soon as I get home, while it’s still warm and easy to do by hand.

2. Get cooked rice.

3. Get cooked veggies. I microwave steam any combination of frozen veggies including peas, carrots, green beans, corn, mukimame (soybeans) and broccoli.

4. Egg (optional). Scramble an egg or two. You could probably also cut up a hard boiled egg.

Cook or reheat things separately, especially if you’re microwaving. If you do it on the stove, you could probably reheat all precooked ingredients together and you probably need a little oil.

Mix up, reheat all slightly if needed. Season as you like - I add a little toasted sesame oil and either dumpling sauce or Thai peanut sauce. Straight soy sauce or just salt & pepper would probably also work but may leave it a bit bland. Cook egg last and add it.

5 Likes

And that is where the fried rice part comes in! Heh

The rest though, sounds like a simple oil free version of a stir fry. Sounds very healthy and tasty. Great for times you really don’t want to cook.

I just made more rotini pasta so I can make more pasta salad. Fresh raw tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, green peppers, black olives, salt, pepper, oregano, Italian dressing (or make my own). Top with whatever you want when serving. Cold shredded chicken/grilled chicken, feta, etc. A whole meal but crispy and cold instead of me heating up the kitchen in 90+ degree weather.

I also have a bunch of cut up strawberries, washed grapes, bagels, etc. I can have simple snacks or lunch without cooking.

2 Likes

I remind him all the time that unlike him, both my parents were raised on a farm, so that was kind of a thing since their parents did not have a lot of money to have the finer foods

There were a lot of concoctions my parents made for me and my brother a lot of things people would find disgusting now. lol

@Darth i see what you did there. That was a good one. lol

1 Like

I disapprove of the threat title.

It is winter here, and it is cold.

Like, too cold

Someone send their summer to Sydney. Want that warmth again.

5 Likes

I would be happy to trade! I especially want your rain! To be fair 17C is pretty nice weather right? Also nice and cool for sleeping at night.

We are not crazy hot here as far as summer goes, but it is early for the 90s highs / 70’s lows. We normally get that later in the summer.

5 Likes

Sorry, thought to bring the reply here since it was locked, and didn’t want to keep editing.

Pretty sure it is Friday Early Morning here

Oh you can have the rain. We had way too much rain here.

1 Like

I see it is VERY early “morning” there!

11:14am Thursday the 20th still here.

1 Like

Well, the ac died Tuesday night. Rough night sleeping. We were lucky to get a repair guy to come out yesterday morning. Good news is he fixed it for $495. Bad news is it’s 25 years old and on its last legs. So, now we are getting quotes for a new furnace/air. If we choose to go with the company that did the repair, they write that cost off. Have 2 more companies coming next week for quotes.

It sure would help with the cost if my brother-in-law would pay us for the car he bought from us in early December. He’s still “working” on getting a loan. :unamused: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

6 Likes

(If you know… you know. If not… that’s okay. Vrak knows.)

2 Likes

Can CS do something about the unbearable heat here in New England?

5 Likes

If only. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the humidity in Texas. They say I will, but I think they are lying to me.

12 Likes

Oh man, this one really hurts. RIP Donald Sutherland.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/20/entertainment/donald-sutherland-death/index.html

17 Likes

Just how bad does it get, even?

EDIT: Oh no… who’s next?

1 Like

By “eventually” they mean “you’re mortal like everyone else, so after a while nothing will matter.”

TBH, if I had to live in Texas, I’d already be dead on the inside, which would be a good head start.

Aw, sadness. RIP

4 Likes

They are. I lived there for a brief period. We never went back. LOL Of course… where I’m at isn’t much better right now.

This is what my cat looks like right now in front of the box fan, because we don’t have central air here:

7 Likes

They are.

That’s the one bit I miss about living in Missouri (and that one summer in New Mexico) - it may get ridiculously hot, but it’s dry heat. You can almost stand to …ahem… sit in the shade as long as there’s a decent breeze.

3 Likes

I think so too.

According to training I just had at work, you can acclimatize somewhat - they say that heat illness is most common in the first 10 days of a new job when people aren’t used to it yet.

However, I lived in Houston for 20 years and I never truly got used to it. It was one of the reasons I moved away.

2 Likes

Apparently the humidity isn’t as bad as it can get in other southern states, so I guess I’m lucky.

I’m used to California, dry heat, so while it could be 106 out, if you stand in the shade it’s much cooler. Where here it’s like 90, but with the humidity feels way hotter and shade doesn’t offer much of anything.

I stay inside during summer as best as I can. :smiley:

10 Likes