[CS Lounge] New Lounge, Same Loungers

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/324577147_1300122774165525_4030736822749269987_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=QaOWq1QwBQsAX8Y8Gv4&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=00_AfD9tz9pS1vd0UwLUgT4stEU0btEKJCGM-3QeLKywBAe6Q&oe=63C824BA

5 Likes

It’s cold, we’re sick - so chicken tortilla soup for dinner. Nothing like warm bowl of comfort food when you’re feeling ill.

2 Likes

When I had my teeth cut out due to cancer in my jaw, the first solid food I ate when the doctors allowed me to go on solids again was a chicken tortilla soup. It was my comfort food of choice.

3 Likes

Welp, Lost Ark just debunked the “no other game developer does this!” narrative when it comes to false bans.

3 Likes

I thot orlyia was on vacation.

1 Like

Either it’s over and she’s back tomorrow, or she just slipped on briefly.

4 Likes

ooof…

Started to feel a bit ill Saturday afternoon at my LFGS, when I got home got a bit worse, it’s 4:15am and still feeling bad. Gonna stay home today. My cats know something is up as they are curled up around me when I am laying down.

3 Likes

The furry attendants are usually the best indicator to just stay in and take care of yourself. Hope you just bum out tonight and rest. Hopefully you’ll get feeling better.

5 Likes

I have a serious question here. Browsing through the forums, I see a ton of people (figuratively) complaining about “motion sickness” when using dragonriding. For a good 10 years of my life, I was an EMT and regularly spoke with nurses and doctors. I’ve probably seen it all, but this?

I have never heard of motion sickness being brought on by sitting still. By its very name, motion sickness is caused by motion, specifically a disorder of the inner ear that does not interpret motion correctly, thus resulting in the feelings of dizziness and nausea.

I can see headaches being triggered by dragonriding, or any other activity where there’s loads of colors and flashy animations.

With that said, I have heard of a similar condition with similar symptoms, but with an entirely different cause. It is called Simulator Sickness. While having the same effects as motion sickness, it is mainly caused by visual stimuli rather than motion. I do think this is what causes the headaches in some individuals.

I’m not downplaying this, as I know there are people out there with legitimate medical conditions. However, it seems the vast majority use “motion sickness” in an attempt to get a company to change something. I might be overly cynical, not sure. I’ve played a lot of games, some with animations and “speed” that rival most racing games. It wasn’t until WoW where I first heard of people getting motion sickness from sitting still.

Anyway, rant/brainstorming over!

I think most everyone is familiar with motion sickness, less so with simulator sickness (this is the first time I’ve heard the term). I think probably people are experiencing simulator sickness and attributing the similar symptoms to motion sickness.

3 Likes

I actually had to look up motion sickness to see if it was even possible to get motion sickness without actually moving. While some sites said you could, others have said no. I first heard of simulator sickness from one of those sites, which then made me think about it a bit more.

I do suffer from migraines, but it is mainly triggered by something that happens on a regular basis (trying to keep it as PC as possible!). My personal opinion (and it’s only an opinion) is that people are getting headaches (which can cause dizziness and such) but it isn’t motion sickness. It’s just that motion sickness seems to be used most often because it sounds more dramatic than “it gives me headaches”.

As I said before, I do know people have legitimate medical conditions (epilepsy and the like). It’s more of an annoyance that people are probably using a medical excuse as a reason why they don’t like something when they don’t have the condition themselves. That seems to be a trend that’s only gotten worse over the years.

Oh well! :woman_shrugging:

I could see where the visual effects associated with dragonriding could cause issues related to motion/simulator sickness, especially when maneuvering at speed, and especially on large HD monitors and at high graphics settings.

1 Like

Yes it is a thing. And likely until people get a lot more comfortable using it or they bring regular flying to Dragon Isles.

Vertigo can cause motion sickness while sitting depending on how severe it is.

I had a TBI when I was six. Visual stimulation produces motion sickness in me, not headaches. Anything that simulates motion. I didn’t give feedback about dragonriding because I knew it was a matter of me learning how to do it in a way to minimize the sensation. I did give feedback about the flight on the dragons in the Legion Invasion scenario in Stormheim. The angle you are stuck at for the bombing run definitely makes me ill.

Except with dragonflying your character isn’t sitting still. Motion sickness comes from the disconnect between what your body is doing and what your eyes can see. You are sitting on a chair, sure, but visually you are moving. It’s why I still use flightpaths to get places whenever possible. It’s so I can look away from the screen while flying.

The first link I found on Google states specifically that it is a form of Motion Sickness.
https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/simulator-sickness

Simulator sickness is a form of motion sickness linked to interaction with a simulated environment. It can be caused, for example, by discrepancies between the simulated motion in a simulator and the user’s perception or expectation of motion. The phenomenon is often observed in users training with flight simulators and is also associated with video gaming.

Don’t discount what inner ear issues can cause. I used to get motion sickness from walking, before arthritis locked my knees. Even though all the books say that you can’t get motion sickness from walking.

Edit:
When you are in a car or train or plane, you are sitting down as well. You aren’t actually moving. It’s the dichotomy between you visually moving while not moving that produces motion sickness. The difference between the game and real life is that in the game the visuals are simulated.

5 Likes

I still get odd sensations at the base of the back of my neck when falling from high distances in game. Sometimes I will just have to close my eyes until the fall is over.

I have passed out a ferris wheel and get the same sensations when going over certain hills while driving.

It took years before I could open my eyes for most of the Spiderman ride at Universal because of the drop in it. The Back to the Future ride would also make me feel odd.
So I would usually close my eyes or sit up front so I could lean forward enough to see the other cars (guess it gave me enough of a disconnect from the visual stimuli).

I can feel it in my ears. I get the same sensation on a swing.

2 Likes

To anyone who many stumble across this: None of this was meant to discredit anyone with a legitimate medical condition. It is aimed at those who falsely claim they have a medical condition when in fact they just don’t like something.

Oh definitely! I’m not usually one to rant and complain, but a few events happening back to back can cause one to doubt.

I manage a store, and over this past week, I have had several employees suddenly decide they don’t like doing a certain task, stating a medical reason behind the refusal (not pandemic related). When one refused to do the task, I didn’t think anything of it. As a manager, I’m required to give them some form of accommodation so they can continue doing their job without aggravating an illness or condition. That situation was resolved.

Employee A’s closest friend then told me she had the condition and couldn’t work in certain areas, mainly food service. A few hours later her best friend told me she had the condition as well. Before too long, 7 of my 16 employees now suddenly had the same medical condition. So, naturally I’m a bit skeptical at this point.

I follow company policy and tell them they must get evaluated by a company doctor by a certain date. Only the initial employee ever returned paperwork related to the medical concern. The other 5 employees? They had to be let go for violating company policy. They lied about having a condition to get out of doing something.

That’s why I’m bitter about all this, and skeptical about what anyone says. I’ve been lied to more times than I can count about medical issues because it’s the “hip” thing to do. It’s mainly the early 20s crowd that do it too.

With all of that said! To Rufflebottom and Kyzera: I highly respect both of you and this wasn’t intended to bash anyone with legitimate medical conditions. I have acrophobia that slowly developed over the years for whatever reason. I totally understand what you’re going through! I just hope you can see where I’m coming from as well with being skeptical after being burned too many times.

For context, heights do give me mild headaches and sometimes it feels as though I’m already falling when I’m just standing there. Dragonriding is no different in this regard. My husband and I go to login, he’s ready to go, but I’m still sat in the inn. Why? I’m looking at other websites, cute cat pictures, etc. He gets so annoyed, similar to what I’m doing here. It takes me a little while to get over that initial fear, but when I do, I’m fine.

I realize everyone is different, and I’m not generalizing based on my own experience.

If anyone was offended, I do apologize. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and with that; I’m dropping the subject!

3 Likes

As some have said, I think that’s what people think to call it that explains their symptoms. Being in a guild of older gamers, many are feeling stress over dragonriding. They report that practice and stubborning through it helps a ton, but not everyone feels it’s worth it and simply try to avoid it.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I saw that and I’m glad those options are being added for those who need it! My gripe was with the individuals who lie about having a condition in regards to something they don’t like, instead of offering feedback as to why they don’t like it.

1 Like

No offense taken. Experience always clouds our perceptions. Just like my experiences with motion sickness while playing video games. I had to take medication for motion sickness playing Mario 3-D the first time. It’s probably why I didn’t really take to Diablo III.

The new feature for motion sickness looks interesting. It would be something interesting for everyone to try.

5 Likes