[CS Lounge] Happy Thoughts

All the talk about spoilers reminds me of the time my youngest daughter and some friends went to see all three of the original Star Wars movies in a special showing back in 1999 just before the first of the prequels was going to be released. One of her friends had never seen any of the movies, and had never had any interest in them. My daughter thought it was great to sit next to someone who was shocked when it was reviled that Vader was Luke’s father and upset when Yoda died, and so on through the whole show.

Personally I’ve never seen GoT, but have read each of the books it’s based on as they came out. If he ever finishes writing the story (George R. R. Martin seems to be trying to beat Robert Jordan’s WoT record) I’ll probably buy the show on blu ray (or whatever format exists by then) and watch it to see how the story differs from the books.

4 Likes

First off, he will NEVER beat Wheel of Time. Probably in my too 5 favorite series. Sword of Truth is in there too.

Home from the zoo. Had to shoot an email off to the assistant principal mid zoo.

A kid that has been bullying Tiny Tim since Kindergarten said something directly in front of mom today. So she busted mom voice out and said something to the bully. The little boys response was to roll his eyes at her and walk off.

Well, about 5 minutes after I sent the email my phone starts to blow up. Email call text. All the above. The assistant principal had texted my son’s teacher, whom I cc on the email, the bullies teacher, and the behavior counselor that was there too. They wanted to know if he was anywhere near us currently. Turns out he walked by right after and I could tell them where he was.

He got taken and sat down for the rest of the trip, about an hour, at the front with the behavior counselor. An apologetic email was sent, and my sons teacher pulled me aside when we signed him back In to her to talk to me.

Usually I give the benefit of the doubt. Any time I report something I fully acknowledge that my son may not be innocent. That he may have some culpability. However this time it was unprovoked and happened directly in front of my wife. There was zero doubt here.

I have been assured it will be handled. I also used the word bully in the email. And that we had to draw a line somewhere. And we were drawing it.

6 Likes

I was referring to the wait fans had to endure waiting for Jordan to release the next part of the story.

Robert Jordan Wheel of Time; 14 novels to tell the story, one week shy of 23 years from start to finish, and he was dead for the last three installments (Brandon Sanderson having completed them from Jordan’s notes and outline).

George R. R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire: 5 novels so far in 15 years, 8 years since the last installment was published as of this coming July (i.e. 23 years so far), at least two more novels left in the series. The man’s going to be 71 years old this September.

3 Likes

Gotcha. So long as we agree Jordan was a better story teller hahahaha.

1 Like

I… uh… never made it through the first book. I got utterly bored halfway through.

At least I made it through the first season and a half of GOT. >_>

1 Like

I think we also have to wonder if he ever is going to finish the series now. Allowing the show to get ahead of the books and allowing it to finish the story kind of makes the rest of the books obsolete. It would be nice to have more of the slow storytelling that the books can do, but it just seems unneeded now.
I think Martin will start doing more books about the history of his mythology and worlds. We already know that HBO is doing a prequel series dealing with the first Long Night and such.

2 Likes

Walking Dead got ahead of the comic books… but it also wandered off in a completely different direction. No idea if GoT did the same. I’m not a fan of the books or TV.

2 Likes

Admittedly I haven’t seen or read either. It’s not generally my cup of tea, I have been advised. And I’m okay with that. I may watch it eventually, but right now I’m fine. =)

2 Likes

I don’t have a dog in this fight, admittedly. My favorite scifi/fantasy authors are Lois McMaster Bujold, Jim Butcher, and Katherine Kerr.

1 Like

Am I weird for not seeing one episode of GoT? Never had the inclination of watching it.

5 Likes

I don’t see why that would be weird. I’ve never watched an episode of Breaking Bad, nor had a desire to do so.

(I don’t like the quote auto-removal; I much prefer removing any possible ambiguity of what I’m responding to. >_>)

2 Likes

I don’t plan on watching it either.

3 Likes

I joined my daughter’s class for a field trip today too. It was a play targeted towards kindergarten aged kids, so it was pretty cute! Lots of singing and dancing and audience participation.

Lots of fun!

So sorry to hear that Thunder :frowning:

Prep’d some chili for dinner tomorrow night. Going to let it slow cook most of the day tomorrow :slight_smile: It’s going to be so good! Secret ingredient…cinnamon sticks…shhhhhh…don’t tell anyone.

4 Likes

Chicken salad sandwiches always taste fresh, for lack of a better word. Does that make sense?

Oh intriguing. I did not know that.

Man we can agree there. Dresden and Codex are ongst my favorite too.

Dresden for a nice light read you cannot put down. The Codex books were just masterfully written though as they spun a story 5? books long?

I just keep cycling through the audiobooks at this point on my commutes and walks. I also run a Dresden Files RPG campaign that I’ve mentioned a few times.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I remember and wish I could play haha.

2 Likes

I love it, but I would never call someone weird for not watching it. It isn’t for everyone.

3 Likes

There’s nothing stopping you from getting like-minded individuals and setting up your own game. ^.^

Just pick up the PDFs from Drive-thru RPG and you’re solid.

1 Like