[CS Lounge] Happy holidays

Good news.

1 Like

Letā€™s also never forget that Vrak is one of two Blues NOT young enough to be my kid.

2 Likes

Good grief. Another character doing DMF fishing who got the Sea Pony on her first cast for the fishing quest.

1 Like

But is he still a pup?

not gonna lieā€¦this bit from Ep IV of Campaign 2 made me laugh, more than it shouldā€™ve.

Awkward moment number 321

Beau: This town blows. >_>

Fjord: Sheā€™s right there! >.>

Beau: I donā€™t care! <_<

Beau smiles at the shopkeeper

Whatā€™s with the green stuff over your gnome??

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what happens when sheā€™s wearing something other than the ears. Iā€™ve had a few head pieces do that.

1 Like

So to catch up and all:

In the year 1990 my youngest (then seven) asked if we would have a party when it was a new century (she had heard something about a new century coming up). When I told her that it would be a new year at the same time, and even a new millennium, but we wouldnā€™t likely have any more money for the celebration than in any other year, she asked, "if we put a dollar away each week will we have enough?".

My wife and I opened an account with five dollars a week direct deposit that week. The plan was to have a party on December 31st 2000, never occurred to us to have it on December 31st 1999 as that wasnā€™t the start of either the new century or the new millennium.

The first year AD was year one (no year zero) therefore the hundredth year AD was year 101. Because I was surprised to see so many people saying that year 2000 would be a new millennium when Y2K came close I did some research at that time and found that the dominant theory was that our current society was raised using odometers and similar digital counters and were attuned to thinking in terms of numbers starting from 0 and turning over when columns were full.

Our local newspaper published a special section about the upcoming new century in 2000 and commented about how they had looked at the 1899 edition and were surprised to see almost no mention of the coming new century. They even published a copy of the A section of that paper. An op-ed in that section actually commented on the surprising fact that a few people were ignorant enough that they didnā€™t realize the next century didnā€™t start until 1901.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

Thereā€™s nothing Nietzsche couldnā€™t teach ya
'bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill

Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
And Hobbes was fond of his dram

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when heā€™s pissed

But younger than my wife.

4 Likes

not sure if u saw it but i said i was referencing robot chicken star wars spoof.

1 Like

I did see that, but the original reference reminded me of the (owl not falcon I admit) from that old movie. :slightly_smiling_face:

At my eldest daughterā€™s fiftieth birthday party I told her not to think of it as fifty years, but as half a century.

3 Likes

So your youngest is ~ my age.

Iā€™m starting to feel young here. :smile: Which isnā€™t the point, but it makes me feel better about the passing of years.

Whippersnapper.

I wrenched my gut taking my jacket off in my car this morning. Granted, thatā€™s probably due to being in shape (roundā€™s a shape, right?) more than anything else, but still.

5 Likes

Definitely one of my favorite Robot Chicken episodes.

ā€œWhoā€™s ā€˜theyā€™?ā€

ā€œJust get back hereā€¦okā€¦uhā€¦I love you too.ā€

3 Likes

ā€œOh, iā€™m sorry! i thought my Dark Lord of the Sith, could protect a small thermal exhaust port, thatā€™s only 2 meters wide!ā€

39 here, gonna be 40 in Apr.

1 Like

Ten years ago I was teaching overseas. It remains the most fulfilling time of my life ever. Thereā€™s nothing quite like seeing a young beingā€™s face light up with understanding, though in every case, Iā€™m sure they wouldā€™ve reached it on their own. I was just part of the adventure.

I also started reading this forum in that timeframe. Orylia is the sole reason why I started paying attention to this place. Maybe one day Iā€™ll spell her name correctly. <.<

I started using a Mac that year. I was really sick of my Dellā€™s inability to display purple, and wanted the most portable laptop with the best display I could find on the market. I figured Iā€™d give OSX a fair shake and see if I still liked it a few months later.

I missed the Olympics, for which I never wouldā€™ve travelled. Instead, it came to me, but I wasnā€™t home.

2 Likes

Lordie, and Iā€™m going to feel like an infant. I just turned 31 two days ago. :frowning:

3 Likes

Well that was a exp vr escape room bassed off asasins creed origins deffinately worth doing again different room they werent kidding when they said u had to work together more the a normal escape room.

Iā€™m 3 years to getting a Senior discount at Lubyā€™s and Golden Corral. I hit 52 last July.

2 Likes