[CS Lounge] Fall Festivities and Friends!

old 4chan meme… I mean REALLY old

14 Likes

I’m slow, it took me a few reads to get it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

If only we could live that long… Good thing I won’t live to see 5050 :smiley:

2 Likes

7 Likes

I shop at a Kroger division and didn’t know shelf stable turkey bacon was a thing. My store has Simple Truth Organic turkey bacon in addition to Butterball, but it was more expensive.

Maybe your store is too small to have this stuff and you’ve already looked everywhere, but in case it’s helpful next time you are shopping , here is generally where this stuff is in mine:

The Lightlife veggie bacon (which I believe does NOT have egg whites) and the non dairy cheeses are all in the same small section with the other refrigerated meat substitutes like tofu. Should be the dairy area, more or less.

Morningstar Farms meat substitute products are frozen, and there are some other frozen brands (eg Quorn, Gardein) in the same section but I haven’t tried many. As already discussed, MF bacon has egg white, but I don’t know if all their products have egg.

Then there are the extremely meat-like ones like Beyond and Impossible ground “beef” - some of them are frozen and are by the Morningstar Farms, some are with the other frozen meats (which in my store are a different area of frozen), and a few non frozen styles are in the meat section. I don’t know the ingredients on those, though. I don’t think they do a bacon, but they’ve got ground sausage and ground pork substitute.

I hope something there is helpful, and sorry you’re stuck dealing with this.

4 Likes

Back to being horde.

8 Likes

There used to be a thing called kosher bacon, it was thin sliced cured and smoked beef plates; not that that would be any help for someone with Alpha-gal but the reference to beef bacon from the brisket reminded me. (long ago I was a union meat packer in a Kosher house).

1 Like

pluvias consecro

The pre-cooked is also Simply Truth. And, I’m not sure how much weight turkey bacon loses during the cooking process, but this is just 2.14 oz for $4.79 vs about $3.60 per 12oz for the Butterball.

The Lightlife veggie bacon seems like it wouldn’t cause a problem. Though it does have 2x the sodium…and I’m on a 1850 limit though I could make it work: even though I had a lot of bacon frozen—which I gave away, to my cousins protestations, it and the beef/pork/cheese I had to a neighbor and my parents—I generally ate little of it because I don’t eat anything for breakfast beyond plain oatmeal, so I only had it for sandwiches…cousin would cook some a few times a week though). Also, I didn’t see the Lightlife veggie bacon but may have missed it (online it shows at not being stocked here though).

I might get some elsewhere. I need to go this weekend or Monday evening somewhere else to get some cheese alternative too anyways, since I did call and ask the store because I didn’t see any but online it said limited stock for Simple Truth dairy-free cheddar and Follow Your Heart dairy-free american-like slices (which I know they at some point): they no longer stock the dairy-free cheese at this store (it’s small). :melting_face:

As for Morning Star’s pork-like products, some of the sausage alternatives (the links) have egg while others seem to not. Actually, “interestingly” for various brands of turkey sausage, all but one of the link-style or brat-esque of those had beef or pork casings lol. Anyways, I don’t eat breakfast sausage since besides bacon not at breakfast, I don’t like breakfast-type foods, so I’m not too concerned there. I bought some Gardein brand plant-based meatballs that I ate part of yesterday with some pasta. They were okay-ish, but I think I’d just rather make my own turkey ones.

And, I already buy ground turkey frequently and bounced between it and ground beef. So, that’s not a big deal. Impossible’s beef alternative is okay for me (they explicitly state it’s okay for alpha-gal syndrome on their site). It’s been a while since I tried it, but I might buy some more at some point. I’m fine with ground turkey though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Choosing to live in a rural area with only grocery within 30 minutes being small and poorly-stocked presents some unique problems with this new alpha-gal problem. Getting alternatives is possible but requires grocery trips that will add 1.5-2 hours to shopping days.

4 Likes

I tried some of the chicken based Italian sausage before and it was actually really good! Perfect for pasta when cut into chunks, or served with peppers/onions on a roll. Not sure what casings it had though. Now I have to check next time I am out.

Just something else to consider as you work out what fits your food preferences and allergies.

4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

I guess they’re targeting the “less cholesterol” market, not the “avoiding pig and/or cow” market.

I’m guessing the shelf stable costs more in the end, but may be worth it for some purposes. I’ve never tried it, even the regular pork kind. I’m with you, actually - not really into breakfast meats at breakfast. A slice of bacon by itself doesn’t interest me. I like BLTs and crumbled bacon as a topping. Sausage is only for red beans and rice and maybe a couple Italian dishes (not the same kind of sausage anyway). I will eat breakfast sausage in biscuits and gravy but actually prefer it without the sausage.

1 Like

I’m living proof!

2 Likes

ugh, next Monday cannot come soon enough…

2 Likes

Ouch someone sold a etheral soul trader pet for 174k instead of 1.7 mil on the ah acording to pc gamer

3 Likes

This might trigger someone, be warned…

Started my EoL plans. In the works of reserving a plot on the Local VA Cemetery, and putting a will together. Don’t worry, I’m still gonna be around for a long while, just planning ahead. Dad is all taken care of, and definitely not gonna go through what we had to do with my mother.

Sorry if this was a little dark.

On a brighter note. Scheduled a full dental appointment. I need dentures and work on my mouth.

4 Likes

Hope you all having a great night!

Got our first major storm of the Fall headed our way where I live. They call it a “Cyclone Bomb”. Supposed to reach us tomorrow. Winds at 100km/h or higher expected with extreme heavy downpours.

Power outages are expected as well. So trying to get majority of my weekly stuff done tonight.

5 Likes

Better to plan ahead then leave it up to fate mwa ha ha ha death comes for all weather or not were ready.

3 Likes