[CS LOUNGE] Country roads, take me home

I’m going away for almost a month, no WoW for a while. Going to try something I’ve never done and am not sure I’ll like, a “tour”, a vacation where someone else makes the schedule.
Sort of stuck with the lack of flexibility because it’s on a boat.

In 2000 I was sent to set up systems for our booth at a trade show in Düsseldorf (Drupa, printing/pre-press industry show). I got rail passes and my wife and youngest daughter flew over and met me in Frankfurt after the show and we spent some time vacationing in Germany, I was raised an Army brat and lived in Nürnberg (technically I lived in Fürth) when I was 12 to 15 years old, later I was stationed in Berlin when I was in the Army.

While we were there, I found out that a canal has been built connecting the Rhine to the Danube.
This means you could take a boat trip from the North Sea to the Black sea. I immediately told my wife we should see if anyone actually offered such a trip, she immediately informed me we couldn’t afford such a trip, couldn’t really afford the one we were on.

Upon arriving home and checking our held mail we had a brochure from Cornell (my wife’s alma mater) advertising that very trip. As this was obviously a sign from the fates, I said we should go. Upon reading the prices my wife said we could not unless we won the lottery that week. Then we won the lottery that week. All of a sudden “win the lottery” was “win the jackpot in the lottery” and in spite of her previous promise she refused to recognize our $15.00 prize as fulfilling the condition.

To break the impasse, I decided to consult a lottery expert for a third opinion. I explained the whole situation to the Haitian woman who sold the lottery tickets at the Seven Eleven and she said we should go. My wife still said we couldn’t afford it (and we really couldn’t back then).

Nineteen years later now and we have reservations on a Viking Tours boat from Budapest to Amsterdam, still doesn’t really fit in a conservative budget but doable now, so we’re going.

11 Likes

That was a great story. Grats on winning the lottery man. Can I borrow say $10. I’m good for it. We go back how long? I want to invest in emu milk. It will be the next big thing. You can get in on the ground floor of this opportunity.

I laughed at the winning and your wife not agreeing. Something my wife and I would do lol.

In other news got called in today. Boss is on vacation at Rocklahoma, so jelly. Cook takes care of her mom and her mom is sick.

She picked an easy day for me though. Burgers and fries. Check. Put a little groceries away and bounce. Will do the rest this weekend.

2 Likes

As odd as it may seem, I have managed to spend the entire $15 over the last 19 years. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Man the curse of the lottery fall is strong.

At least you stay grounded with your winnings man.

I really need some more sleep haha.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! My parents were on that cruise a couple years back. They had a blast (and both were fairly limited on what they were physically capable of). I hope you enjoy it just as much!

2 Likes

I’m hoping you guys can help me. I boosted a hordie to 110 to see how the other half lives in BFA. I found the temple to be horrendous. My problem is she just hit 120 and I would really like a flight whistle. Problem is she didn’t do legion. Wowhead said to talk to Khadgar in Dal and you can get one. No go for me. I do not want to do all of legion just to get a whistle.:musical_note:

Well, it was confirmed this week that the medication I am taking to keep from getting cancer has caused my bones to weaken. My choices were to chance further bone loss, stop medication and chance cancer or have surgery and be done with it all. Surgery it is.

The flight whistle from legion won’t work in BfA until you reach friendly with all faction-specific reputations, Zandalari Empire, Talanji’s Expedition, and Voldunai; and also unlock all basic outposts in each of the enemy zones anyhow.

I haven’t done it myself but supposedly players that don’t have the whistle, either deleted it or didn’t play in Legion, receive a new whistle that works for BFA and Legion zones when the above requirements are met. The unlock is account wide.

1 Like

I am friendly, I just don’t have the old whistle to upgrade.:frowning_face:

Best of luck with everything, Aryalanthu.

Well, today did not go as planned. We got up at 05:30 this morning to get ready to head to Florida for hubby’s appointment at Mayo (really starting to think we need to move to Jax with how often we are there).

We only made it about half-an-hour into Florida before the highway traffic went to a standstill. Turns out there are some bad fires along the coast (we were slightly inland) and they had shut down Interstate 95 in both directions. So all of the traffic from there was being rerouted inland. We heard people on the radio describing it taking 5 hours to only move a few miles.

Thankfully, hubby’s nurse managed to get his appointments rescheduled and we were able to turn around and head home. They now have the Interstate reopened, so hopefully the holiday traffic can get moving properly again.

I also hope they are able to contain more of the fires soon. The fires increased from 200 acres to 600 acres in 24 hours. We haven’t had a noticeable amount of rain as of late in this area. =(

Try talking to Halford Wyrmbane. If you completed Uniting Kul Tiras they should be able to provide one for you. For the Horde it would be Nathanos Blightcaller.

2 Likes

I cannot wait til the Classic Beta is over and Live.

3 Likes

I think I got caught up on everything over the last two days now. eyes still glazed from 2 days’ worth of beta testing threads

If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would it be?

1 Like

Japan…so I can visit Akihabara, my friend went there, said it was pretty wild.

2 Likes

I would love to take a cruise up the Pacific Coast. I have this vision of British Columbia in my mind that is probably not realistic, but I want to see it anyway. I would love to keep going north up to Alaska. I have always wanted to take a cruise up there, but unfortunately my wife detests the cold. So if I ever do go, it will be without her, and what is the fun in that.

Agreed

He is on the ship in port on the middle level, above the mission board, and below where you go to Tirisgarde Sound, etc.

Hope all is well. Sending all the good juju in your direction.

Edit: I long trip through Alaska to Japan. Great call TT. I have wanted to go to Alaska since I was a kid, but I have wanted to go to Japan ever since I learned about cultures around the world, etc. And I want authentic, delicious, off the hook Japanese food. Not Americanized Japanese food.

3 Likes

So, I got older today. Best part of my day, my daughter convincing her kindergarten classroom to sing happy birthday together for me!

So awesome!

12 Likes

And on that note, Lasagna, Parmasian Cheddar baked zucchini, garlic knots for dinner.

And to end the night, some Strawberry Shortcake.

Positively stuffed.

Glad you had a great birthday Perl. Here is to many more :beers:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday to you!!

/throws confetti

3 Likes

4 Likes

Happy Birthday, Perl!

4 Likes