[CS LOUNGE] Country roads, take me home

Samurai is a historical term since they haven’t existed since the late 1860s. The closest English/Anglo approximation would be Knight since they were nobility serving lords. They were later removed of their titles and called Shinzoku and did not hold any special privileges. Shinzoku were removed from official recognition at the end of WW2 in 1947. For the record, my sons can trace their matriarchal lineage back to Samurai nobility.

Can we stop now? Infighting is so fun to watch. Almost as fun as passive aggression. And self aggrandizement.

4 Likes

I can’t verify this with the wife right now as she’s sound asleep but I can guarantee you that she will deny their country ever borrowing anything from the Japanese as they are hated especially in her part of the country due to what the Japanese did to their villages during WWII, The horror stories they told made my skin crawl.
However borrowed or not the Chinese use the character in their vocabulary for this word or in the case you describe was a Japanese Character for the word samurai which is the point I was trying to make.

Off subject but you probably also have heard in the news about the Spratly Islands that China is claiming is theirs and Japan theirs, Philippines theirs and may lead to a war, Anyway my wife was taught in school that those islands were theirs back 5000 years ago, So you can imagine what she will say if they used a character from Japan, I myself think I better keep my mouth shut…LOL

I wish you and Alvie a good night and please, No hard feelings.

Would have stopped had I read this but was in the middle of typing; Hope everyone has a pleasant night.

but i made a fresh batch of popcorn.

2 Likes

Skip the salt, there’s been plenty of that already.

4 Likes

Just the blood of my enemies and the tears of there families cursing me mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

1 Like

I apologize, I believe there might be a misunderstanding. I’d said, quote, “the characters… were borrowed a couple thousand years ago from the Chinese.”
Not the other way around.

In either case, I believe it’s a little disingenuous, and perhaps a little Western-centric, to apply a singular native term (“samurai”) to all forms of East Asian warriors when, quite frankly, that is not the case. The same with applying foreign terms to those specific warriors. Samurai were samurai. They weren’t knights, nor hwarang, nor shi, nor anything else. All samurai were warriors, but not all warriors were samurai. I believe that’s what Alvie was taking exception to.

But I will drop it now. Good night, everyone.

2 Likes

Haha, I just saw this post Mastadôn,
BTW I hope everything I watching now with the weather has bypassed you, Not sure exactly were you live but I’m watching live coverage of where Jefferson City, Mo took a direct hit, Hope you are safe and others in the path of these dangerous storms as well.

As for me and the beard, Yeah at one time I did support a Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top kind of beard about 25 years ago however now I’m clean shaven and for 59 only a few grey body hairs but nothing up top yet (I strike that up to being married to a young wife who keeps me young…LOL) Body wise I’m a big guy at 280 but that’s due to being athletic almost all my life up until I broke my leg in 2013 and since then I’ve gained 50 lbs, Took a long time plus 2 surgeries to get my leg somewhat back to normal but it will never be the same but I’m not giving up.

You being a Chef and all the good dishes I read that you cook if I were I your shoes I’d be a rather large guy but that would be me because I love good dishes.

Anyway I sure hope that you are doing well during these terrible storms and stay safe.

thank you for englishing for me

Did someone take my Saltar!? I need that for work.

3 Likes

:heart:

5 Likes

My apologies for misreading but as Banewulf said it’s time to put this to bed.

And to think this all started over one of my characters name my wife had given it, Not worth all the energy put into this debate to be honest imo.

No hard feelings here.

1 Like

This is about my missing Saltar now.

Who took it

2 Likes

Evidently not. It shouldn’t have been an issue to begin with. Is ignoring a comment so hard without a forum functionality?

3 Likes

Not sure what a saltar is but i blame the night elves never did trust them to begin with there ears are way to pointy. moma always said never trust a pointy eared hobgoblin even if his name is spock.

2 Likes

salt + altar = saltar

1 Like

Nope.

Good night, Thunderwulf.

sometimes i like to eat margarita salt

1 Like

Moo has decided she no longer wants to wear nappies.

We’ve done well. She’s only had one accident. However… she decided playing in the toilet was a great idea. Ugh.

5 Likes

are moo and my dog twinsies

3 Likes

Well, it has definitely been interesting playing on the Stress Test tonight.

Thankfully, I had done some questing in Coldridge Valley before so kinda knew where some stuff should be located. Having started in Cataclysm, guess I’ve become spoiled with how the game directs you.

It was nice seeing how friendly and helpful players were to each other.

It was cool to see how some of the areas differ between Classic and current. Maybe I should take this little gal around to a few more places to see the major differences.

1 Like