Crowd Control & Diminishing Returns

When you’re affected by a crowd control effect in PvP, there’s an 18-second window for diminishing returns on further effects from the same category. Additional CC effects used on you while diminishing returns are active are reduced in duration: first by 50%, and then by 75%. Each CC effect resets the 18-second window to its full duration, and if you are affected by three CC’s of the same category inside that 18-second window, you will be immune to further effects from that category until the 18-second window has passed.

The lists below have been separated out into their specific diminishing returns categories. Each ability shares diminishing returns with the other abilities it has been listed with, and no others, except where noted.

Diminishing Returns Categories

Disorient

Incapacitate

Root

Silence

Stun

Knockback

Disarm

If anything is missing or incorrectly listed in a different DR category than what it should be please feel free to point it out. I put this together to the best of my knowledge for 9.0 to update the previous post. w

Disorient

Death Knight

• Blinding Sleet

Demon Hunter

• Sigil of Misery

Hunter

• Scare Beast

Druid

• Cyclone

Mage

• Dragon’s Breath

Monk

• Song of Chi-Ji

• Breath of Fire (Incendiary Breath)

Paladin

• Blinding Light

• Turn Evil

Priest

• Psychic Scream

• Mind Control

• Mind Bomb

Rogue

• Blind

Warlock

• Fear

• Seduction (Succubus)

• Howl of Terror

Warrior

• Intimidating Shout

Venthyr

• Door of Shadows ( Agent of Chaos )

Incapacitate

Demon Hunter

• Imprison

Druid

• Incapacitating Roar

• Hibernate

Hunter

• Freezing Trap

• Scatter Shot (Honor Talent)

Mage

• Polymorph

• Ring of Frost

Monk

• Paralysis

Paladin

• Repentance

Priest

• Shackle Undead

• Holy Word: Chastise

Rogue

• Gouge

• Sap

Shaman

• Hex
  • Sundering

Warlock

• Banish

• Mortal Coil

Pandaren (Racial)

• Quaking Palm

Root

Death Knight

• Remorseless Winter (Frozen Center)

• Chains of Ice (Death Chill)

• Shambling Rush (Dark Transformation)

Druid

• Entangling Roots

• Mass Entanglement

• Nature’s Grasp (PvP Talent)

• Wild Charge (Bear Form)

Demon Hunter

• The Hunt

Hunter

• Steel Trap

• Trackers Net (Honor Talent)

• Binding Shot

• Harpoon

Mage

• Frost Nova

• Freeze (Water Elemental)

• Frostbite (PvP Talent)

• Glacial Spike

• Ice Nova

Monk

• Disable
  • Clash

Shaman

• Earthgrab Totem
  • Frost Shock (Surge of Power)

Warlock

• Conflagrate (Entrenched in Flame)

Warrior

• Thunderstruck (PvP Talent)

Silence

Death Knight

• Strangulate (PvP Talent)

Demon Hunter

• Sigil of Silence

Hunter

• Spider Sting (PvP Talent)

Druid

• Solar Beam

Paladin

• Avenger’s Shield

• Shield of Virtue (Honor Talent)

Priest

• Silence

Rogue

• Garrote

Stun

Death Knight

• Gnaw (Ghoul)

• Monstrous Blow (Dark Transformation)

• Asphyxiate

• Remorseless Winter

• Absolute Zero (Frostwyrm’s Fury)

• Reanimation (PvP Talent)

Demon Hunter

• Fel Eruption

• Chaos Nova

• Illidans Grasp (Honor Talent)

Druid

• Maim

• Rake

• Mighty Bash

• Overrun (Honor Talent)

Hunter

• Intimidation

Monk

• Leg Sweep

• Keg Smash (Double Barrel)

Paladin

• Hammer of Justice
  • Wake of Ashes (Undead)

Priest

• Holy Word: Chastise (Censure)

• Psychic Horror

Rogue

• Cheap Shot

• Kidney Shot

• Between the Eyes

Shaman

• Capacitor Totem

• Pulverize (Primal Earth Elemental)

• Lightning Lasso

Warlock

• Axe Toss (Felguard/Wrathguard)

• Shadowfury

Warrior

• Shockwave

• Storm Bolt

• War Path (Honor Talent)

High Mountain Tauren (Racial)

• Bull Rush

Tauren (Racial)

• War Stomp

Kul Tiran Human (Racial)

• Haymaker

Night Fae

• Wild Hunt’s Charge (Soulshape)

Knockback

Note: Diminishing returns on effects in the Knockback category operate differently than other diminishing returns. When affected by a multi-target Knockback effect, you will be immune to further multi-target Knockbacks for 10 seconds. This only applies to the abilities listed below; there are similar abilities, such as Death Grip, that intentionally do not trigger or suffer from Knockback diminishing returns.

Death Knight

• Gorefiend’s Grasp

• Druid

• Typhoon

• Ursol’s Vortex

• Overrun (Honor Talent)

Mage

• Blast Wave

Monk

• Mighty Ox Kick (Honor Talent)

• Ring of Peace

Hunter

• Hi-Explosive Trap

• Bursting Shot

Shaman

• Thunderstorm

Priest

• Shining Force

Warrior

• Dragon Charge (Honor Talent)

• Ancient Aftershock (May not be correct)

Disarm

Druid

• Faerie Swarm

Monk

• Grapple Weapon

Rogue

• Dismantle

Warrior

• Disarm
46 Likes

PvP would be fixed if CC durations (including silence) were reduced to 3s MAX.

Most should be interrupts of 1-3 seconds.

CC that can be broken by damage like hex/sheep/fear can be a little longer but only because damage breaks it.

52 Likes

Your formatting on knockbacks is incorrect. Also what about war stomp.

5 Likes

I never seen the Diminishing returns, I am smashed into dust i the first stun.

37 Likes

Can you add harpoon to the roots for hunters, I’m pretty sure that’s a root

2 Likes

if that happens, then healers need healing tuned down by 70%.

8 Likes

All cc effects should share diminishing returns. 8,5,2 immune for 15 seconds, reset.

25 Likes

They really need to do something about all the CC’s in PvP it is at the point where you stay CCed till your dead most of the time.

27 Likes

I personally would like pvp more if cc was less of a thing, but that’s just me.

23 Likes

Why are you spreading misinformation? This video is from MoP, and there have been massive changes to DR since then. Fear and MC are on the same DR now, as are scatter shot and freezing trap.

This video is fake news in 2020, and the worst kind of disinformation.

6 Likes

That video is almost 8 years old.

A nelf druid in MoP had literally no way to break CC other than pvp trinket, and none of these CCs were on DR (scatter/trap, and mc/fear are both DR today).

Today, there are dozens of ways to out CC. In higher tier games, extremely heavy CC comps (e.g. rogue/mage) need to use 2-3 separate cooldown cycles to exhaust the enemy team’s defensives to land a kill now, and that’s not including things like cleanse/purge which can completely stop their burst/cc with a single GCD.

I don’t think anyone in serious PvP right now thinks healers are some kind of weak CC punching bag, disc priest and hpal are seen as two of the most threatening classes in arena at every CR in both 2s and 3s.

3 Likes

There are too many CCs in this game. We shouldn’t have to spend half the match just countering CCs so we can actually play the game.

Every CC should share the same diminishing return and the window should be upped to a minute. Either that or reduce every CC’s duration by at least 50%. We shouldn’t be able to get a glass of water in the time it takes for DR to actually matter.

13 Likes

Either everything needs to share a DR, or CC needs to overall be lowered in duration. There are certain comps that just suck because their CC shares DR, meanwhile rogues have 3 different DR CC’s (blind, sap, stuns) by themselves. No single class should be getting off 2+ full DR CCs in a row.

12 Likes

Preach brother! Preach it out loud that Blizzard may hear our prayers and smote these CCs upon the altar of Diminishing Returns!

6 Likes

Even DR doesn’t seem to work right half the time. Got yeeted with 2 7sec sheeps back to back somehow. Feels bad going up against comps like RPM and being cc’d for 20 seconds straight.

8 Likes

Couldn’t find any other good videos on long CC chains. I am glad they fixed putting those CCs on DR but CC is still too much for my liking.

1 Like

it’s actually 19-20s because of gcd and lag

1 Like

whats the point of adding this all hard cc and soft cc should be on the same DR. at the moment either do that or make the medallion have a immune affect added to it or do it to human’s rascal. getting cced in battlegrounds at the moment really sucks as soon as u get stun by a rogue and try to break it sucks now obviously we just need to be all other classes but if that never comes then increase the ds from 25 to 75 instanlty. this will make rogues less likely to keep u in a stun lock plus stun cheap shot and blind should be on the same ds. and idk if this happens but a monks stun needs to be tuned and be like intimidating shout except when u stun ur main target it will get the full duration if the target hasnt been stun before and others that were around the monk when he stunned his main target the others should get half of the stun

3 Likes

Yep, at this pace atm without a trinket, i get a HoJ and i’m going to make a coffee.

2 Likes