Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

What #do# you have then? Little point in posting your complaint with no data.

Seems like my problem has been fixed! Played several hours last night, no crashing or freezing

1 Like

It’s been better since yesterday, not a single crash! (I even pulled a whole group of mobs in an island to test it out). But I have to admit, it’s a little annoying to have my particles disabled since I sometimes take heavy damage without realising I’m standing in something. But I’d take that over hard booting my Macbook any day.

My only issue at the moment however, is that my game plays as if I have tons of things running in the background (which I don’t). It’s very laggy and static even though I have my graphics at 2, and almost everything is either low/disabled.

I have two weeks left on my sub. Despite the improvement, it’s not something that should have happened to begin with. Therefore, I won’t be renewing my subscription until I know for certain the issue has been fixed.

6 Likes

It would be nice if a blizzard rep posted about the fix rather than tiapriestess having to make very-educated guesses about everything.

This is presumably a temporary solution while Blizzard talks with Intel (and Apple) about their drivers, but hearing next steps and at least an overview of what took so long are important to get, too. I’d like to be assured that if this sort of thing happens again, whatever made this process take so long won’t cause issues.

Even if it’s just “we have a very limited QA staff,” we can blame Bobby Kotick and co. for not hiring them. Better than this nebulous fault that makes everyone at blizzard — from QA, to community reps, to the organizational structure — look incompetent and callous.

6 Likes

Admitting that it’s fixed means admitting they screwed out hundreds (or thousands) of Mac users of 3-4 weeks of game time.

3 Likes

Have a few days left of my sub so I figured I would try out the “fix” that was rolled out. So stability wise, yes, no more crashes, or at least hasn’t crashed on my in about 30min and that included a world boss kill which ALWAYS would cause a lockup. Still seeing some hangups that last a second or two every now and then. So playable in that regard.

On the other side, there is a definite loss of graphical effects and the stuff we are missing is not just eye candy, its stuff I would consider a must have. Like some have mentioned, not being able to see crap on the floor you shouldn’t be standing in, mage frozen orb being completely invisible when it goes out, stuff like that. That’s kinda game breaking in my opinion. I appreciate the effort to make the game more stable but will I be renewing my sub in 3 days? No. This isnt good enough of an effort for me to continue to be a paying customer and all trust is gone that Blizzard will treat us Mac users as they should if any future issues like this happen again.

7 Likes

Hey everyone! So with the recent little slight fix, blizz kinda made it so that it doesnt crash our computer, atleast in my view. Now, fixing that idk wtf happened but it has cause some mysterious lag that causes my latency to hike up to 500+.

I’m still testing this out but for me i’ve found a way that stops the lag from happening, essentially playing WoW with poop graphics still and no particles, but hey its a start. All you have to do is close the Battle.net launcher after you launch WoW and make sure its closed and nothing else is open while playing… (havent tested this with discord) but so far this has helped, and i still have all my settings set to poop and nothing enabled in the graphics section basically but hopefully this makes the game more bearable for you guys as it did for me !

3 Likes

Update* As of right now with blizzards crash fix, I’m able to play the game right now as if nothing ever happened… the only thing is I cant see portals and my DH’s immolation aura, and some effects like that. Not too sure why. Turned back on all my addons, turned the graphics back what they used to be and i’m able to talk in discord while playing. Ran a couple M+ for the first time in the new season and not one freeze up or sign of lag or anything.

Again, what I did was just close the Battle.net launcher and have everything else closed besides discord. Before I did that my game was super laggy and latency was through the roof.

2 Likes

So the game no longer crashes, but it is annoying without particle effects. Can’t see half the mechanics in nyalotha. IE: try finding vexiona’s fire breath during her fight, it doesn’t exist lol. A bit problematic.

And as far as someone mentioning that it’s still an issue with intel or the drivers, I would like to reiterate that that makes no logical sense. It definitely is an issue with how blizzards 8.3 code interacts with the drivers, but NOTHING, i repeat, NOTHING, has changed with our graphics cards or drivers other than the patch. So if blizzards code made it so that particles and graphics were 100% compatible with intel iris prior to 8.3, then they added some changes to how the graphics are rendered or handled internally that causes the crash. It is not a driver bug, but a change in how the game interacts with the drivers. Waiting for intel to look into this is a crap response lol and a 100% illogical cop out.

8 Likes

Mac OS Version: 10.15.3
System Model: 2018 Macbook Pro
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

In BFA spell effects are invisible for warlock characters. In the Northshire Vineyard, quest to put out fires, the fires are invisible, the water from the hose is invisible.

Game runs ok, no issues in Classic version of the game.

Still waiting to see a blue post on the next step Blizzard will take to make this “right”. Like a real fix, not this work around. It’s hard to help the tiny crabs when I cannot see the azerite missiles being shot at me! (much less survive mechanics in a raid) And an extension of my sub time by at least 3 weeks, 3 weeks of M+ caches at the level I had been completing before this, a few vessels(3) for blown ones due to lag/crashes in truly HORRIFIC visions, etc, etc…

I have been able to do more with the particle density disabled. I have been able to run LFR (shudder) without crashing, although I seem to be missing effects that may be harmful (thankful for GTFO) and there is lag on pull. I just follow the crowd and pray… Will know more tonight after a “real” raid. I play to raid and this mess has been a nightmare. I am now way behind on gearing and leveling my cloak, not to mention how it has affected my guild and our raid group as a whole, losing some key players to frustration after the 2nd week…

I would also like to see assurances the this will not happen again in Shadowlands. I have been playing WoW for nearly 10 years and would like to continue, but not like this… I don’t care if the appearance of my main’s starsurge is nerfed. I do care when I cannot raid successfully!

Hoping to continue posting here to reiterate that they do not assume the problem is only with Intel GPUs and test on further Mac builds (AMD graphics for me - posted specs several times up in the thread). Seems like I am also now having brief occasional freezes when I just had lag and choppy movements prior. Fans still running constantly, even in areas with no atmospheric effects. Please don’t assume when it’s fixed for Intel that the problem is solved, since the game ran well with higher settings than I’m currently using prior to 8.3. I confirmed there is now a sparkle on herbs and collected items even with particle density disabled, whereas the night that I had a much smoother graphical experience, there was no highlight whatsoever on these items.

I confirm that the game works good without particles, with them the game continue crashing at the same situations.

I used to play wow daily, now I get to daily check this post. FUN!!! Sounds like maybe its worth adding my sub and giving it a go again…

I haven’t had any issues since I disabled particle density. Really happy about that, though I keep missing loot because corpses don’t sparkle anymore.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what’s worse… disabling particle density, or having the game lock up every once in awhile.

Both make the game pretty unplayable, and I hope this isn’t being looked at any less seriously now after this “fix.”

6 Likes

No blue post? No particle effects? Not even a “sorry?” Given w3 and all this I’m not resubscribing loooooool take my money then expect me to not be pissed? Ha good luck bliz

3 Likes

Hey folks,

The particle density situation is a work around. We’ve confirmed that this appears to be a driver level bug, which means that we cannot fix it and need someone else to do so, as we don’t create drivers for your graphics cards. We’re telling the GPU to do something it’s supposed to be able to do, but due to a bug with the driver’s coding, your machine is getting into a bad state. We added new particle effects with 8.3, but it’s not the core cause, just the trigger for the driver bug.

Being able to disable particle density is a work around that we put in until updated drivers/a new mac OS build are released which fix the problem so that you all can at least play. We’ve already reported the issue to intel. At this time if you are having this problem, you should disable particle density by following the steps that are recommended here. If we hear that a build of mac OS has been resolved which fixes the issue, we’ll let you know.

9 Likes

Really blaming at this point. We were playing fine until 8.3, so I don’t think the problem is Intel. And if this is a sorry for you Blizz im done.

10 Likes

Oh there’s a thread for this. Good thing I looked around huh! I never had any problems at all on an imac that has an Intel GPU. No problems. None. Got my cloak to rank 7 was supposed to raid tonight. But I won’t be there. Why? I CANT SEE ANYTHING IN THE GOD DAMN GAME EVER SINCE YOU SUDDENLY PUSHED THIS FIX I DIDNT EVEN NEED.

2 Likes