Convert Forum to BattleTag

There would definitely be less trolling going on.

No. It is far easier to spam someone in game with a toon name and server than a btag.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. Posters who speak to themselves on different characters usually use different accounts that are completely separate (thus these posters would not have the same btag anyways when having a conversation with themselves). :slight_smile:

Yes… Exactly.

After poking around in the web inspector for a bit, maybe something like this?

5 Likes

Need source.

Nailed it.

1 Like

There was a prolific troll who was doing it recently on the same account, but they appear to be serving their 3rd forum silence in the past 2 weeks

1 Like

As I said, not going to share that with you as it would allow you to cover your tracks better. Have a lovely day :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are a legit troll. Bye.

Thanks for the complement :slight_smile:

As I said to your previous inquiries, you are free to believe whatever you want

1 Like

We already know several ways to see if a multiple toons are on the same account, including 1 or 2 that you can’t do anything about.

He thinks I am one of those people who sock puppet. I don’t feel any need to hide behind an alt, even with my sometimes controversial opinions.

Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. With the ability to switch the posting char so the picture and char name would change, but the Btag, post count, etc stay the same at the top.

4 Likes

There’s probably even browser extensions or Greasemonkey scripts that automate the process and expose characters that share accounts within a given thread, though I haven’t looked for such a thing.

Jeez, did you read the initial post as to why and how it would help?

For this alone it would be worth it.

Tell me you’ve never dealt with ongoing harassment without telling me you’ve never dealt with ongoing harassment.

So in the past, back in Wrath-ish I dealt with ongoing harassment to the extent that I had to abandon my character outside of logging in to raid for about six months. What did I do? I stopped chatting with someone that left the guild I was running after they left a big headache in their wake.

I wound up using a different room on the forums as well because they’d pester me there too.

If your proposal occured, if they saw my tag under my name, they’d make a note of it and then come at me on any character I might be posting on, giving me no respite.

Requiring people to spend several hours to get to the level cap of the previous expansion and blocking out classic toons from the general forums should be sufficient without opening the flood gates for harassment.

The moderation cracking down on the bad faith LGBT+ thread posters, for example, would also help.

Except for my proposal does the same thing without opening the flood gates for harassment.

I didn’t know that worked across server.

You’re assuming people are posting on alts asking for help because of bad reputation. They might be asking for advice on what to do about gross behavior they’ve experienced in guild and want advice on what to do without their guild leader thinking they’re a drama monger which might happen if the GL sees that battletag.

Last I checked, abusing the reporting system is using multiple characters to report a single post. Swapping when you run out is permitted and in some cases necessary.

For example, let’s say a group of homophobic and transphobic people flood the LGBT+ megathread and are being gross and trolling. They make hundreds of posts. The mods only respond to reports. So I report the first five posts. But the especially egregious behavior continues. People telling others to end their lives. Without switching, that post may sit up for days before someone has the flags to flag it.

In this way, the forums would become even worse.

People would just post on different accounts to converse with themselves, as many already do. Having a btag on their posts wouldn’t help here because separate accounts have separate btags.

That’s fixable by being able to have no character associated with your forum account, so it’s just a bare battletag. Maybe offer various NPC/mob icons for avatars in such a situation.

1 Like

Look at this point if they want to throw more sub at the game to keep trolling be my guest.
But don’t make it free.

4 Likes

Your entire example is moot. Wrath pre-dates BattleTag I’m pretty sure. Currently, people can’t harass you even if they know your BattleTag unless you consent to adding them on your friends list. They literally cannot harass you because they won’t even know what your character name is.

It wouldn’t because you don’t understand the limitations of BattleTag, it isn’t RealID. It would be more secure than the current name-server.

5 Likes