Convert Forum to BattleTag

Zandrae stated that they dealt with “in game harassment” during wrath. They didn’t say it was in relation to a btag.

That’s the point. I understood it perfectly fine.

This came up when we switched to this new forum format a few years ago. WoW forums did not switch to battlenet tag like the other games because a lot of players tend to have a connection with one or more of their characters or they post on different ones for different reasons (ex. posting on a specific class in the class forums).

I like that we’re different on these forums, personally :woman_shrugging:

The bigger problem with these forums is the inconsistent moderation. Poorly implemented systems that can be abused/misused also doesn’t help.

And if our battletag is our character name?

I’d much prefer a display name choice.

Yes, that leaked into the forums but was able to avoid by changing alts, which this “solution” would prevent me from doing.

You realize multiple people have the same BattleTag “Name”. The unique part is the #1234

Yes, and with the conversion to BattleTag would not be possible to do anymore. They would not be able to harass you because they would not be able to “find” your characters.

This the new hot topic🤔. And when will addon spam threads be a thing again🤓

You realize some people have a battletag that matches their main.

I don’t see numbers in your name. You think your character name is that unique?

1 Like

Except they would.

Other Blizzard sites that use battletag allegedly display the number in places.

I mean, a lot of people really don’t want to deal with the possibility of in-game harrassment (especially from those people with enough time on their hands to post conversations with themselves via different accounts).

1 Like

Also if folks want their character hidden, luckily the technology is there and can just hide the character name/guild.

1 Like

Umm… then don’t post with the char you want to “hide”. Same as it is now. If you post here, people can message you in game without your permission.

Most people keep their spare WoW licenses on the same Bnet account so they have access to mounts, pets, achievements, heirlooms. etc.

Starting over on a new Bnet account can be done, but is less rewarding so most people don’t.

Switching to Btag stops a huge percent of the sock puppeting, false reporting, etc. It also lets people transfer chars, change names of chars, etc without losing post count, history, or trust level.

Just because a few people will still find away around it is not a reason not to do it. Esp when it offers increased security for our in-game chars.

6 Likes

You have one. Your Btag is a name you select. You get one free name change per Bnet account, after that it is paid.

Major changes like this normally Blizz will ensure anyone who already used a Btag change get a new free one.

If you don’t like yours, change it.

Your entire argument is that you want to be able to switch chars and appear as someone else for free. Others don’t like that. ONLY this forum allows it and it has allowed insane abuse of the system.

1 Like

The whole thing went over your head.

Like. Way over your head. That or you’re intentionally refusing to understand.

Also, wouldn’t the new Battle Net just immediately get blocked by anyone who feels harassed, insulted, offended, etc? How much are they willing to spend, just to have a bunch of blocked accounts?

1 Like

This does not happen in other Blizz forums, and there is no reason to believe it’ll have a significant effect here either.
WoW forums lets us role play as our chars and I’d like to keep that. The little ways people can troll - with alts or whatever is not a significant source of problems

2 Likes

You are missing the point. People will see Zandrea#1234, but they would not be able to contact you in-game. It’s not like they can send direct messages in the forums either.

You must be new here.

4 Likes

Probably. That is the point though. People are sick and tired of blocking someone they don’t want to read, only to have them pop up again on another char.

If someone ignores me, they should not have to see posts by me on any of my chars. Their decision to not see my posts should apply to my whole Bnet - and any chars under it.

You would be amazed… We have to use a paid license to post on the Blizz forums (or enough in-game progress on free games). Some people have many paid licenses and multibox other games like D3.

So, switching to Btag does not stop it, but it certainly limits them to their Bnet accounts instead of having up to 400+ chars per Bnet account. One identity beats 400 for forum mod purposes.

7 Likes

but not an argument tho.
been here since 2007 :pensive:, back when CMs were still active.
I don’t really see what issues you have that are SO pressing that we should make a switch. the like brigading? the alt flagging? doesnt require battle net name to fix. dont like that lvl 20 is making an argument? well, dumb takes or troll threads wont go away - just visit the overwatch forums to see how useless itll be. I like that we are our characters on here, and I dont really see what major issues we have that necessitate these changes.

2 Likes

Even if we take out the perceived reduction of trolling, I listed quite a few other benefits of switching over that would not be subjective.

1 Like