Classic TBC Servers down with no notice, again!

The banner for today’s maintenance did not show up until 9 am central time, 2
hours after server were shut down

2 Likes

And, as stated earlier in this thread multiple times, it was posted, just in the wrong section. It was accidentally originally placed in the TBC PTR launcher and then moved to the correct launcher when they realized their mistake.

5 Likes

Feels like a large portion of this disappointment and justified community outrage was avoidable.

The notification not making it to its normal communication channels is unfortunate. Some people lost a lot of raid time, others just had their schedules disrupted. Thats a bad start.

But i feel like blizz constantly makes this same mistake, of saying, “Oh, we’ll have it done in an hour dw guys” and repeatedly missing that mark. Like rule number one of customer service and interfacing, is to set a realistic expectation, and then hope you can do better. Whomever has made this call, is running at a 100% rate of error 5 times in a row. Thats hard to justify and in my eyes points to either a lack of care when making and communicating the estimate, or the person making it being out of their depth / untrained.

If this was business with face to face interaction, or a review system akin to Yelp or google reviews, youd be getting burnt alive. How many times will it take before the people making that call learn the lesson.

Outraged. Know im not alone. Feels justified, and yet i know to expect no change. Good thing you have a unique product.

3 Likes

What are they actually doing?

Ive seen long maintence time end alot sooner then the 8hr if you read the TOS blizzard cant gaurentee the game will be up 24/7 that includes maintence.

I’m afraid I don’t have any of the particulars.

I just got word that maintenance has been extended again, they are pushing it until 2 PM PDT. So not just a one hour push, but hopefully that means they have a higher confidence that the work can be completed in that time.

I’ll keep an eye out for additional updates.

7 Likes

Can you ask for details?

1 Like

Can you at least provide the “Patch Notes”?

These guys are working really hard today, we love to see it :slight_smile:

I propose maintenance days always take 8 solid hours of server downtime. Then those of us who schedule WoW time into our day won’t feel strung along. If it’s known this will be SOP from now on, uncertainty & frustration like today never occur. “Ah, Wednesday maintenance is scheduled so I know not to even log on till 5pm EST.”

Then you give your tech people time to fix what didn’t go as planned vs publicly asserting the servers will be up at “3pm EST” when no one really can say for sure that will be the case. Peace!

1 Like

As far as I know this isn’t exactly a patch, so I don’t have those. A lot happens during maintenance that has nothing to do with a patch, it’s updating other elements of the game.

Those usually aren’t specifics I can get. Sorry.

3 Likes

Any particular real reason they took out Dungeon Finder of the WOTLK? People don’t really socialize now, just spam the channels looking for a Dungeon group sometimes for hours

That is a Game Developer decision so I really can’t say outside of what they have already posted.

2 Likes

What if things got a bit unusual? Are ya’ll going to refund a day to everyone’s account timer? I know I am not going to get to play at all today.

1 Like

Is there a forum they actually read?

1 Like

Refunding a day is only really given when something major happens, like the server going down for days at a time. Beyond that, refunding time for maintenance less then 24 hours isn’t one of them.

1 Like

the banner says now says 1pm, so its more murky/dishonest communication from blizzard. we just want to know when we can play. stop calling it schedule maintenance. scheduled maintenance has been on Tuesdays for YEARS, literally double-digit years. Its absurd to me that you can just come in here and tell people not to be upset and actually expect that to work.

Compensation isn’t decided by CS and usually wouldn’t be decided until the full issue has been resolved. Generally speaking, we don’t provide compensation for scheduled maintenance and even some emergency downtime is accounted for as standard.

All Community Forums are reviewed for feedback and suggestion discussions by both Community Management and our Game Developers. They just don’t usually engage.

6 Likes

Yea, they have bad policies, we all know that. But it shouldn’t stop us from asking for better policies.

1 Like

The Breaking News is being updated. I provided the information here first because I saw the messaging that it was being extended.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean that is only takes place on Tuesdays or can’t take place other days.

8 Likes