Characters deleveled - Khadgar

Yep. I remember being told years ago that items could not be restored after a particular point in time, but here is the 2012-2014 version of my character, fully backed up including the same amount of gold I had back then, and all inventory items. It’s absolutely freaky.

16 Likes

Right? All of the evidence being posted about levels, zones, etc. points to me thinking that they somehow merged the wrong version (a previous backup or something) of the character database for Khadgar.

But who knows, could be farm more complicated than that.

If it’s weeks, i hope you’ll consider giving everyone affected a free month. I don’t even play on khadgar but this is a very scary thing to have happen, to have years and years of progress just erased. Not to mention prepatch is soon, and these players might not be able to play it.

9 Likes

Also interesting is that all my broken characters are missing from the forums character select window.

Oh wow mine too! I didn’t even notice that.

Ok I have a question, may not have an answer but I’m going to try anyways.

I resubbed to prep a couple of horde characters that I wanted to main in SL. I’m currently working on a warlock and she’s level 95 but now I have lost all motivation to continue because of this. (don’t bash me, i’m not complaining here just providing info/context, I know unexpected things can happen)

It seems as if things are still happening, even to people that put in tickets about one thing have seen that other things have happened over night. For those of you it happened to or have behind the scenes knowledge, does it seem like whatever has happened is still randomly happening?

Thank you for all the help you all are giving. I think people who don’t work in or have familiarity with the type of software/application development and testing required for WoW just don’t or can’t really fathom the magnitude of what happens (and has to happen) on the back end to make it work.

And it’s always difficult to be the one who is client-facing trying to relay as much information as you can based on your understanding of the situation and by what has been given to you by the devs.

TL;DR - I feel you, bro.

11 Likes

Izabela - I’d hold off on doing any heavy lifting until this is resolved. It sucks, but fixing a problem with data is so much easier if the state of that data does not change while the cause is being investigated. It would suck to lose progress in case of worst case scenario.

1 Like

It happened to random characters on one realm (Khadgar) out of over 200 on the NA license alone. It didn’t happen to any EU realms AFAIK.

I submitted a ticket for the issue with my de-leveled druid and was told that they are looking into it but no answers yet. Suggested I submit a bug for each toon that was affected.

Why have you lost all motivation to continue? I think the only reason it seems like it’s continuing to happen is because more and more people are checking after not logging in since it started, and coming to the forums to report the problems. If anything, we are very fortunate this is only happening on one server. Albeit that it sucks tremendously for those affected. But I do have faith that a multi-dollar company like Blizzard is doing everything they can behind the scenes to fix it.

I’ll bet they have a call going on internally with all of the top engineers, qa, development, etc. working on the solution right now.

1 Like

The standard for these issues is to investigate the forums, live ops, and the like. I get that my experience doesn’t always mesh, but “well actually” about a GM response is pretty whack.

Characters deleveling or becoming unavailable IS a pretty unusual situation, and should, at the very least, have come with a, “I’ll continue to investigate” response.

What he actually said was this:

From what I can see here, both [Character Names] on Khadgar have been level 90 for some time. Priest, for instance, hasn’t been accessed since 2014.

I must say, you have an impressive number of level 120 characters! Please make sure you are checking the right ones, however. I know I get confused sometimes and I only have a few ^^

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

I don’t expect GMs to know everything, but I do expect a modicum of attention paid to my report; too many parameters would suggest that that was a unique situation, and suggesting that I was merely confused is…well, silly.

Sounds like an old database was restored. I’m thinking this will affect a decent chunk of people on Khadgar.

4 Likes

Well I only play on Khadgar so it seems to me that if the problem is ongoing and still possibly happening it’s the unknown that it giving me pause. I know Blizz is working hard to figure this out and hopefully everyone will be put back to their original state.

I do not want to put time into it if there’s a chance she will be sucked up into whatever the issue may be.

It’s interesting because I actually work in game development, so I have more than enough familiarity to know this is not our standard, lol. It has nothing to do with “tech understanding” and more to do with how you, as a player facing entity, react to major issues.

I think I understand what you mean. I would definitely not play any characters that are affected right now. They’ll resolve this in the best way possible, hopefully completely restore all characters to the point of when the issue began, at the very least.

Hang in there man!

1 Like

Right, so the gm checked your characters by name, and the records in front of them say 2014.
That’s what makes it weird. But the gm checked, and followed up with their best information.

That’s good customer service.

The bug impacting what gm’s can see is part of what makes it challenging.

10 Likes

Wow, this sounds beyond frustrating. Blizz definitely owes you and your guild an apology.

1 Like

Nah, that’s not really the issue.

He gave me what information he had, but the unique issue, coupled with those being some of the only non 120s on my account (especially on that realm) should have, at the least, warranted looking into it further.

Suggesting I was merely confused is some really poor customer service.

I think you need to consider that this is a unique issue to you, in this GM’s eyes, before they knew of the widespread problem. How many times do you think someone has submitted a ticket for a character they didn’t have on their list and was actually on a different realm?

I’ll bet they see this at least a few times a month as a GM.

9 Likes