Boosting is P2W, simple

You could abstract everything to take away meaning.

I think it’s obvious what the problem is in this specific instance. It’s like if you were playing soccer and some dude you were playing against paid money for an extra three goals. It doesn’t feel good. Working hard for something only for someone else to buy it makes people feel like they wasted their time.

That’s exactly what people are doing here when they say WoW is P2W, and I’m pointing it out by saying according to their criteria, that makes basically all online gaming P2W.

Boosting is unique in WoW in that there is no carry without other players mastering the content. That is very different than swiping your credit card and being stronger immediately. There is no P2W day 1 of content.

1 Like

No, the game is P2W when the company endorses the use of constant real money to obtain advantages, if the company does not endorse it and it is clandestine, the game is not P2W, simply all those who participate in the clandestine market are cheating and therefore their actions can lead to a ban.

The perception that being boosted is “winning” is what I would disagree with.

Pick a game - like, say, World of Tanks, where if you buy the best stuff, you can push a couple of buttons and win. Compare that to World of Warcraft. You buy clears, gear, rating, achievements… but you still can’t go in and do the content yourself. You haven’t won anything, you’re still just bad at the game.

2 Likes

Ahh, so we’re now setting the goalposts at a game being P2W if it follows the rules or not?

Why here and not the fact that boosting doesn’t exist until weeks into content?

That it’s so easy to get you guys to breakdown and start adding arbitrary limitations is why the discussion is meaningless. Everyone has a different opinion on what P2W is.

boosting is not the only form of P2W in the game, buying Legendaries and BOEs in the current system is too. basically buying anything from the auction with gold obtained through real money can be considered P2W or at best P2F

That’s how I see the definitions as well. If players are offering services for gold, and players are willing to pay gold for them, then who cares?

People need to stop hanging on everything streamers and youtubers tell them and just enjoy the darn game.

1 Like

There is no debate. There’s people who see the negative effects this has had on the game for a while, and there’s people who benefit from the system. Brace yourself though, because just like banning gold sales, blizzard will be selling boosts/carries that they just banned last month.

the game isnt pay to win becuase the economy is entirely player driven, it WOULD be pay to win IF and ONLY IF blizzard put in real pay to win services in the cash shop

youre mad that there are other people that are playing the game in ways you dont approve of, when in reality it doesnt effect you in the slightest

you say people will buy gear with token gold but they cant buy skill, theres a reason why players with the highest end gear in the game cant complete mythic kills, theres a reason why 15s still fall apart when dps checks cant be made even with people in mythic raid gear, theres a reason why players with lower ilvls can still compete against players with higher ilvls, sure its harder but still possible

kicking and stomping your feet doesnt make a statement true, and as it stands, the game being “p2w” isnt true

So in a nutshell, you want them to control everything because you have a problem with things people do. Instead of you know ignoring it. And this is about boosting, not being undercut at AH. Honest to Bob, why even try to bring them together?

Yes let’s disable everything because a very vocal minority of the exact same people post the exact same complaints, almost bi weekly if not more now.

this sounds like what multiboxers were saying before blizzard made it insanely hard to multibox

i like it seems like blizzard wants to curb and control boosting by banning community organized boosting

Yeah, I’m kinda disappointed by this myself but the reason behind the WoW Token is to help prevent people from supporting gold selling websites. If the WoW Token were removed these sites would see a significant uptick in activity which would then increase botting and other ways in which these sites violate the ToS to generate gold.

I don’t like it either but it’s the less of two evils.

A solution could be to limit how many tokens you can buy. Another would be to make it so if you receive a ton of gold from a random player a flag goes off on the back-end administrative side of the server and highlights the log of that occurring for GM review. I’m sure it’s something that there’s been long dialog about in meetings between the folks at Blizzard and as things stand in this current state there is room for improvement.

except multiboxers actually had a direct impact on not only the auction house market but also the ecosystem

not only could they manipulate prices with their influx, the game’s mechanic of having a resource node dissipate when X amount of players interact with it affected players in game

services are player driven and are not mechanically finite or have any impact on the game because there are no resources, there is nothing that player services are impacting, you can say BoEs are a “resource” but thats RNG and are not realistically exploitable, unlike farming and mining nodes

comparing multiboxers to boosters are quite literally comparing apples to oranges

i don’t understand why the RWF guilds don’t know that the game is p2w. they should just spend money to get a carry so they’ll win the race. it’s really simple.

3 Likes

this sentence explains the rest of your post

don’t you realize that paying $20 for gold does not have a impact on the ecosystem? one player is rich enough to pay for boosts and get everything without playing the game including things which would require work and time

boosting and multiboxers have their own negative impacts

Classic WoW is a good example of how the WoW token isn’t to blame for the P2W attitude, it’s the players. Classic WoW didn’t have the WoW token but most people bought gold there anyway, just off a shady website instead. MMOs are pay to win, the WoW token does nothing to increase or decrease that.

1 Like

good so they got banned when blizzard discovered so it works out in the end, blizzard is making it hard for boosters to do whatever they want which is the best way

that’s why they banned communities, it made it too easy for rmt to slip under the radar

it doesnt have an impact on the ecosystem because theres no ecosystem to effect when it comes to player services

your argument would only have a leg to stand on if X amount of players can be in a raid or dungeon at any given time, but as it stands, it does not.

to restate, multiboxers effected the in game ecosystem because X amount of players can interact with a resource node before it dissipates, therefore directly affecting other players to not be able to interact with that node

boosters are under no such ecosystem mechanics

This would not surprise me.

??

injecting the power of unlimited gold into the hands of a player from real life money absolutely impacts the ecosystem

bro you’re not making sense