Blizzard, if you don't make your next blue post about how sharding is NOT going to be in the game

… okay then.

Sounds like quite the reasonable chap, does he not?

2 Likes

nods Verily.

Why do I have the feeling you’re not actually gonna get an epiphany and be okay with sharding during your suspension?

I mean, we can hope.

After what i experienced on northdale the only sharding i want is up to level 5. On northdale you would have 100 people crowded around 1 mob trying to tag it, every person there would be in a full party just to make sure the party would get credit for the kill. God that sucked. After level 5 things were still busy but it was managable enough that you werent going to have your kills stolen everywhere. Trust me, sharding (at least sharding the level 1 - 5 zones for the first week) is good for the game.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I will say it again:

Sharding is the SINGLE most important and complex topic for this game, and boiling it down to “I DON’T LIKE IT WAAAAH” is either disingenuous, or stupid.

You pick.

1 Like

admittedly, I don’t know much about sharding other than what I’ve read. Keeping that in mind, if the plan is to keep resources small (server resources) than sharding would be beneficial in the beginning until the population stabilizes.

If the population doesn’t decrease and more servers are needed to accommodate a large population, then I can’t see Blizzard removing sharding.

1 Like

If i could post what pictures of northdale day one were like here then i would cause i just found the. But ill be putting something on reddit to show people the chaos of what the first day is like.

OP - what if sharding is only used to handle initial server load and starting areas? It would not effect barrens, it would not effect anything of importance. It would just solve an issue in a reasonable and logical manner.

1 Like

I mean this whole post here is the exact reason why you don’t let that many people on a server at a time, especially at launch.

That said, I’m not against completely against sharding the level 1-10 zones, if they think it’ll help server populations down the line. But it has to stay within the level 1-10 zones and only for the 1st week or 2.

This is patently false. You won’t be sharded into a shard that has 0 other players in it.

Threatening Blizzard isn’t going to make them side with you.

I mean, trial accounts aren’t necessarily everyone. If I buy and sub to a game, I’m going to make it past level 10 for sure.

I mean it really doesn’t. I’m against sharding but even I know it’s not just blizzard that benefits from the use in low level zones.

It won’t get anything across.

They also didn’t have the expected player base Classic is expected to at launch

They don’t really shard RP servers. I mean they do in the cities and when it’s really crowded, but RP servers in the non-city areas are largely unsharded and they don’t use CRZ.

This is untrue. I present to you BFA.

2 Likes

so much reee

1 Like

reeeeeeeeeeeee :laughing:

It’s going to be a limited feature in the game that is also limited to certain levels. Just sit back another month and you won’t notice a thing.

Personally I don’t care about sharding. I’m going to be in instances most of the time anyways (dungeons and BGs).

Funny story- they didn’t handle it, which is why the game was a poop show when anyone was funneled into the same area. Or, it was handled by opening more servers, which caused the monstrosity of dead servers you see today. Bad plan.

I don’t want sharding any more than you do, but this ultimatum stuff is comically misguided. Nobody here wants their game quality reduced to garbage to “have it the way it used to be” but that’s exactly what you’re asking for.

I would say 1-20 is a more realistic estimate. Even in Vanilla WoW, you could get to level 10 fairly quickly. Not nearly as fast as you can today – but it was still possible.

Breaking the shards out to level 20 means that the gap in player population should be large enough to break sharding without having overcrowded zones. By then a lot of the ‘flash in the pan’ players will have left classic for their mains.

Without the lvl 1 heirloom mount, and the slow respawn rate of quest mobs, I don’t think you’ll need it past level 1-10.

Honestly I don’t think it’s that complicated. If blizzard actually deems it necessary for launch and they say it will only be specifically there for launch and nothing else, then we should either just deal with it, or not play until it’s gone and then all is okay.

After all the news we have gotten regarding classic WoW we should get the hint by now that blizzard is not messing around with making this thing authentic and if this is what they think is best then I will take their word for it.

You have to REALLY be tinfoil hat to be on the side of “BUT WHAT IF THEY LEAVE IT ON”, especially after the update we just got.

1 Like

I think it boils down to this. If Blizzard overuses sharding at launch… or is tempted to use is more than they stated. People will stop playing.

I would rather not see sharding used at all, but am willing to accept that it may help with the launch stability. For me though if 11,000-12,000 players can be online in a single server on some hosted solution. Then I can’t really understand why Blizzard cannot do it on what must be state of the art servers optimized for MMO activity.

The last Blue post especially reinforces my confidence that they WANT to provide an authentic server based experience:

I don’t think they will use sharding at all unless it is absolutely necessary. And if they do need to… I feel fairly confident that it will only be as much and for as little time as possible.

I do side with the OP in that if this isn’t a fairly accurate reproduction of Classic… i too will bail fairly early on. I cannot stand what WoW has become… and want the WoW I know and love to play. This is as close as I’ll ever come.

2 Likes

It’s not a matter of giving up, it’s a matter of understanding and being respectful.

It’s possible to argue for something without threats, acting like you are the only verdict of the matter, and belittling others.

I know this will likely be a hard concept for you to understand given your previous replies though.

5 Likes