Blizzard declined my right to a refund

I’m a returning player and made a free account and purchased the dark portal pass aswell as 1 month gametime…I was excited to play TBC again.

However, I have played classic content back in the day so I decided to use my boost to skip it.

I have had 200-300ms latency every time I play…it’s horrendous and unplayable. I’m guessing this is due to my remote location and bad internet.

I requested a refund due to my country’s consumer laws on services as I wouldn’t of purchased the game had I known. The GM replied and said they politely decline to refund me…due to it being outside the timeframe…which is a few days. Do they have the right to do so??

Yes,

Had you requested a refund immediately, or soon after (ie, an hour or two), they might have granted a refund.

6 Likes

But my country’s consumer law states if a service has defects which render it unusable, they must refund. I can’t play the game due to high lag…I tried…I thought it might of been just a short term thing…servers issues etc.

It’s not the game that’s defective for you though.

8 Likes

Yes it is…I can’t play it due to high lag…no other games do it only wow.

Have you tried other realms? Perhaps you can find one with better latency.

Don’t forget the servers do sit in various physical locations. Different ones may provide you with a better experience.

8 Likes

Have you tried connecting via the different server regions for TBCC?

5 Likes

Yes I’m in oceanic…all servers I try are 200-300ms…even rang my service provider who said it isn’t my end.

It’s way worse when I enter bgs etc

Edit: I was just in a bg and my ping went from 245ms to 455ms….that isn’t me…

All digital sales are final. You agree to that when you make your purchase and by accepting all of the terms of account creation.

When they are able to issue refunds, you have a very narrow window that you may try and request one - meaning minutes to maybe an hour or so. Past that, you’ve played the game, you’ve used your purchase. It’s unfortunate that your connectivity isn’t the greatest, but ideally it’s something you might have noticed with the free trial time before investing in the game.

Sooo blizzards terms over rule my county’s consumer law? Ha don’t think so

You’ve yet to say which country’s laws you’re trying to lay claim to, so I’m rolling with what I do know.

It still doesn’t negate the part where you have used your purchase.

2 Likes

Australian and New Zealand’s consumer law on services and digital items

Go talk to a lawyer then.

A defective game would be unable to log in and play at all - for an extended time.

Blizzard is not responsible for latency on the internet.

If you are having high latency in an oceanic area, on an oceanic realm (hosted in Sydney), that certainly indicates an issue anywhere between the server location, and your computer.

Of course they’d say that.

11 Likes

Why does the issue get 10x worse when I enter BGs??

Blizzard actually seems to mention our Consumer Law in the EULA:

If you are a resident of Australia, the benefits provided to you by this Limited Warranty are in addition to other rights or remedies you may have under local laws related to the goods to which the warranty applies. Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. The provisions of this clause containing the Limited Warranty and the clause containing the Limitation of Liability and Indemnity below apply only to the extent permitted by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).The entitlement to a replacement or a refund for a major failure is not subject to Blizzard’s option. To submit a warranty claim to Blizzard, please call 1800 041 378 or send to PO Box 544, Pyrmont NSW 2009 Australia. The user is responsible for the costs of returning media to Blizzard.

So maybe try contacting them via that route?

5 Likes

It’s kind of wild how much can change in three days.

Anyway. I believe that if you do a chargeback on your payment method, either through requesting a refund for a defective product according to the process that Vannesyra outlined above or through your credit card company, Blizzard suspends your account (because you have told either your government or your bank that the product that you received is irrevocably defective) and prevents you from using that payment method in the future.

So then you have to ask yourself, do you really never want to play WoW again? If you don’t that’s fine, but it’s something to keep in mind for chargebacks and disputes.

3 Likes

The irony here is looking at other threads you’ve been poking at, is you pointing out someone whining because they didn’t quite enjoy what they signed up for. (Edit: Jalanili actually linked said post right before I sent this.)

And you pointing out the Trial function before committing to purchasing the time and using the boost. That kind of defeats some of your argument since you seem to have known better about the trial and making sure you knew how things worked and all of that before making any purchases.

A bit of warning that posting the exact same thread in multiple forums is never a good idea, since you posted the exact same thing in the TBCC forum.

8 Likes

That’s not quite what would happen if he went via the ACCC route. Given Blizzard eventually did refunds due to complaints to them over Reforged when they were originally claiming their policy > Consumer Law.

Edit: Admittedly as stated it may not be considered a defect under the Consumer Law. But he might as well try the route stated.

1 Like

That is not a defect of the game, the Dark Portal Pass, or the game time you purchased. I suppose you could make the claim that it’s a defect of the internet (not necessarily your ISP, mind you).

7 Likes

Yeah, but what I’m saying is, did the people who got refunds for Reforged still have the ability to play the game? If you go through a formal process to say that you cannot play a game because it’s broken/defective, I’m pretty sure they’d close your account as part of that process. Why would you still need it if the game was defective?

1 Like