Battle.net App Update Loop

Since this morning the Battle.net App won’t stop looping updates for my games. If I wait for it to finish, close the App, then restart it, the update loop begins again. If I play a game for awhile then exit the update loop begins again.

I’ve checked the game’s versions and the Battle.net App continues to try and ‘update’ my games with the same version. I know this is not on my end and is on yours, Blizzard, I just thought I would let you know this needs to be fixed.

84 Likes

Having the same issue at the moment. As soon as the update finishes, I can load up the game and as soon as I exit out, it reupdates.

12 Likes

I’ve been reporting this for months and I keep getting the same response, it’s something on my end. Strange that it happens for both Classic and Retail WoW.

The launcher will always start an update, it will do the whole thing and only download MAYBE a whole Meg and continue to do it all day long.

6 Likes

Experiencing the same issue here. My Battle.net App keeps re-downloading updates for all of the versions of World of Warcraft I currently have installed.

This issue occurs when I restart the App itself or if I exit World of Warcraft. This issue is only affecting my World of Warcraft installations and no other games I have installed.

16 Likes

Same here as of today.

2 Likes

Started today for me.

The only ‘good’ thing about it is that the repeated updates have made about 150MB of disk space become available even though the “updates” are not actually updating the game.

4 Likes

This is happening to me too, tried everything suggested in the other thread about this.

1 Like

I was having this problem, but after I updated OW, DIII, and WoW TBCC, it stopped trying to update constantly. Haven’t had a notification of an update since.

Try closing it down then opening it up again.

It’s been doing this all morning for me, since like 9am, and i’ve never once had an issue with anything of this sort before so im at a total loss, ive changed settings around, ive repaired, ive reinstalled Bnet and WoW, and it’s still going strong, every time i enter and leave the game. Would be nice if it stopped doing this. Not that it takes a long time. just annoying to have it go on all day and probably into tomorrow and longer. :neutral_face:

Edit: So i was just sitting here, watching Youtube and my launcher just randomly started updating WoW again… for what reason? Who knows, but as soon as it finished i was like ok, cool what ever, and then not even a few moments later it starts updating again. Like what the actual heck is going on here? Why does it need to update this much, when it’s already just updated?

8 Likes

been happening since about 9 am PST for me as well

Same. I thought my PC was having issues. It started to update and then after 30 mins or so. It would repeat.

I managed to get Heroes of the Storm to update and its fine. But the WoW games keeps repeating now.

1 Like

Except when I did close the app and opened it. The updating beings again.

2 Likes

Been running for almost 24 hours here. Update… scanning… update repeat…
Uninstalled the game. Did not help
Deleted the entire folder and associated folder (TBC ect)… same issue.

From past experience with this and other games, it might be useful for the posters here to indicate what malware/anti-virus software they’re using.

Some of them buffer up changes to files and then don’t commit them if they’re unsure that the files in question are okay to change. I know MalwareBytes had an issue with this for a bit as well as a few others.

This has all the earmarks of the same issue - software detects and out of date condition and downloads and “writes” a patch and then doesn’t see the patch applied so it does it again.

It might be interesting to see if there is a commonality on what system protection software is in use because I’m not seeing this problem at all but some of my guildies are.

I turned all mine off before hand… but yeah good point usually.
Okay I solved it… Delete all the WOW folders AND Battlenet… Dont uninstall them actually go to explorer and physically delete them… then install… now I can get in.

That may only point to the problem I suspect is at fault.

Creating NEW files is generally okay with most protection software.

It’s updating existing ones that gets dodgy.

And if you take this approach back up your WTF folder so you don’t lose your addon and addon configuration information.

Windows only AV and firewall, no update to either recently as I have turned windows update off until the end of November over a week ago.

Addons are stored in the Interface folder and I have a batch file that saves the interface and WTF folders to a second drive when I run it for all the versions of the game.

The addons themselves are easily replaceable. It’s the settings that are a PITA to replace. I should have been more clear about that.

As an experiment, try downloading BitDefender (it’s free and it’s the best in the world discounting a close rival that’s Russian in origin - BD is Romanian and they have a burning hatred for all things Russian so it’s generally a safer choice if you’re worried about the Kleptocracy-based Russians corrupting someone at Kaspersky and getting themselves a back door).

Once in, activate it and let it replace the default stuff and see if it gets rid of the issue.

The “free” BitDefender is exactly the same as the paid version except you don’t get the “dashboard” (which I don’t find that useful anyway).

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Full Disclosure: I use BitDefender, but I have no fiduciary relationship with them. I do not work for them, get paid to shiil for or represent them in any way. I’m just a (former) IT pro who found these folks a few years back. I’ve been impressed with every aspect of their product and company.

This post was initially made 12 days ago (as of this edit). I’d been experiencing the endless loop for a good 24/48 hours at this point; I’d open Bnet, it’d update and it would continue to do this while I played or when I closed the game and tried to open it again. Since then I have:

Uninstalled / reinstalled Bnet.
Uninstalled / reinstalled WoW (that was fun on a connection that’s almost dial up levels and is limited).
Removed all addons / replaced all addons with their most up to date versions.
Tried the Beta Client and then back to the Live version.
Tried several suggestions around the forum but that went nowhere either.

Nothing has worked and since it is relevant I’m on the latest version of Win10 (think it just had a feature update actually).

Don’t seem to have errors / permission things, it just loops endlessly and if I dare leave it open it will keep doing these little updates every couple of minutes before reclaiming the space and being quiet until another couple minutes pass.

Update01: I did notice one thing though. For years I’ve had the WoW folder on an external SSD (to free up the main drive) and it’s caused / received no issues. Curious, I actually moved the entire WoW folder to the main drive and tried launching it from there. It succeeded; the loop ceased! I opened and closed it a couple times to make sure and it didn’t attempt to update again. I checked what had changed; the folder permissions (since the main drive has the Security Tab while the external SSD does not). In the end I moved the entire thing back to the external SSD and sure enough the loop has returned. So, by that observation it might have something to do with permissions, but I have no clue why it would start now (well, twelve days ago) since it’s been perfectly fine for years. Just wanted to add that to the report.

5 Likes