Ban wave appeal times

Imagine suspending gamers for a full month for performing an in-game mechanic you created (capping towers). How it’s the player’s fault for not being attacked by the opposing faction while capping a tower is beyond me. Rightful suspension or not, a full month is waaaaaay overboard unless you’ve literally been soaking xp/honor for weeks on end and doing nothing.

6 Likes

Essentially, that’s what we are being told.

1 Like

I know it’s not your intention, but that format you’re using with the pics comes very close to making it look like you’re a blue. May want to be careful there and just use normal quotes.

It’s a good intention, which I’m sure is appreciated by those affected. It can muddy things here though. Technically speaking discussion of sanctions and all is against the rules, but we’re given some leeway here so long as it remains constructive and informative and noncombative.

Where did anyone at all say that? Damage and healing is factored into things, but it’s not the be-all-end-all. Level and gear are taken into consideration, of course. Walking into a BG in quest greens and expecting to do the same damage as glad geared folks? They’re not going to do that. And it’s how you participate as well. If you’re going with the pack and making an honest effort even if you’re getting mowed down before firing off every other spell, they’ll see that.

1 Like

No it’s about sitting in a tower, and not moving even if no one shows up… That should not be on the player when they are actively capping an objective. If Blizzard doesn’t support this, make the flags work like AB or Eots and let them be flipped back and forth and not burned. It’s a design flaw, not an afk problem.

It’s why I always include the links after I post the shots. I actually flummoxed one of our SFAs before, so I make sure to document things rather than just doing the images by themselves. But I’m realistic in knowing most people won’t bother clicking links, it’s just easier to provide it all right there. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m brand new to game. I placed in top 5% of my team for honor gained in nearly every game. I backcapped with a 4 man squad in a discord of veteran players. I was the only one who got banned. I don’t use in game chat. I don’t AFK. I just played and stunned/blind as many targets as I could. I never had high damage or kills. Just confused how I got banned for 30 days. Furthermore I can’t even view my character in the forums, so I am worried it was deleted by blizzard. I was actively playing each game. So confused as to what I did wrong. I’ve played other blizzard games and same thing happened. I achieve top 10 on leaderboards and get a chat suspension randomly for 7 days. It falls off, 14 days. It falls off 30 days. It’s why I came to WoW, to avoid being targeted for mass reporters for being competitive. I am at a loss for words on this topic.

Chat penalties will get bigger every time it is applied. Did you get 30 days for non participation or for chat? Because if your getting repeated chat penalties you probably will want to watch what you are typing as Blizz are going back to longer penalties as the shorter ones were not working.

No matter the reason for punishment, they have never deleted someone’s character for it. So please don’t worry yourself on that particular account.

As for the rest, that is what the appeals process is for. While in a perfect world, everything would always be done perfectly all of the time - we don’t live in a perfect world. And while so many people are screeching about automated bans and suspensions? If they were automated then there would be no reason to appeal. Fortunately (or unfortunately?), people are rarely perfect. Human error can happen. Every time you appeal, a fresh pair of eyes will look over all of the data. Not just your damage, but your involvement over several games. If there is a pattern of behavior, they’ll see it. We are all your fellow players here on this forum, so we cannot see your data that the GMs can.

It may take some time, but be sure to follow the appeals process from the e-mail you received. I will also note that you can actually appeal more than once. Appeal and appeal again until you are warned that no more appeals will be accepted and any further may get you sanctioned a touch longer.

4 Likes

So people are just mass reporting players for being on top of the leaderboards and Blizzard doesn’t do anything about it? They don’t punish the players who are mass reporting? It just feels shady. I don’t know that I will continue to support this community if that’s the case. I am definitely frustrated that I lost my account for 30 days when I don’t use text chat and I don’t break any rules. I am a pure player. I don’t buy gold or anything. I just do pvp and apparently being top ranking puts a target on your back. My guess is Blizzard bans = more money as most players will just make new accounts which is why the sell the boost. It all is beginning to make sense. I couldn’t understand why players would purchase a boost until now.

1 Like

Alrighty. First off, mass reporting isn’t as much of a thing as people like to believe. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but the sword cuts both ways and those who weaponize reports will get slapped back.

Secondly, people can report anyone at any time for anything. It doesn’t matter if half your server reported you for saying the sky is green - you weren’t breaking the rules by saying it. If you’re not breaking the rules, all of those reports mean nothing at all. If someone just sits there and reports everyone all the time for existing? That person will find themselves on the bad end of a sanction.

Unfortunately the loudest people are most often the ones who don’t really know how things really work. It’s easy for everyone to scream about automation and mass reports and that no real live person doing anything behind the scenes at Blizzard. They’re just repeating what one wrong person says and it balloons out from there. That’s why one should never make assumptions.

I can understand you being frustrated and I am sorry for it. Look at it from this perspective though. If one thousand suspensions went out today (hypothetically, I have no clue the true number), and out of that thousand, maybe five are false positives. It’s terrible that those five were caught up in the furor, but there are now 995 suspended accounts out there that aren’t doing what they shouldn’t. And it’s still not the end of the line for the five false positives. Blizzard regularly admits that they are not perfect, mistakes do happen. That is why the appeals process is in place. Ban waves suck for everyone involved, especially since the ticket system is now absolutely flooded with appeals.

Blizzard bans are not done with the mindset of making money like that. Most players would rather quit than give another penny to the company that just stripped them of their 15-year-old account. Suspensions and bans are not done lightly and it’s done to preserve the well-being of the game itself and the experience of the game for those who follow the rules. There is nothing more beyond that. There is no greater conspiracy, no need to reach for some tin-foil theory to make sense of.

I will tack on too. The appeals process does work. We’ve had people come back and let us know that their appeals had sanctions overturned. It’s not hot air I’m blowing. And for what it’s worth, you absolutely can ask to be recompensed your game time lost if the sanction is overturned. I don’t recall ever seeing someone denied that in my time here on the forums.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call my comment a tin foil theory. It’s a fact. People get banned. Blizzard makes more money if they purchase the game again. I read your reply and noticed a few things.

Alrighty. First off, mass reporting isn’t as much of a thing as people like to believe. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but the sword cuts both ways and those who weaponize reports will get slapped back.

If one thousand suspensions went out today (hypothetically, I have no clue the true number)

You say mass reporting isn’t a big thing, however you are aware that it’s an issue and a large amount of people are dealing with this.

It doesn’t matter if half your server reported you for saying the sky is green - you weren’t breaking the rules by saying it. If you’re not breaking the rules, all of those reports mean nothing at all.

The above is false, if you have 100 people report your comment in world chat at same time you will get chat suspended immediately. That’s a fact, not up for debate.

This isn’t my first encounter with blizzard suspensions. They only occur when I get to top 10% of the leaderboards. EVERYTIME I hit top 10 or similar on a blizzard game I randomly get mass reported and have an account action taken. Sometimes they reverse it, sometimes they tell me there’s nothing that can be done. If you just simply research the word “mass report” you can see it’s a very valid thing in the game that has to be dealt with.

Bottom line - NO player should have the power to control another players suspensions and or bans and by allowing a system that enables toxic reporting only facilitates these toxic gamers. If they even game. I do appreciate your replies and hope that you never have to deal with a ban yourself. While typing this message I just got word from another player who was banned as well. What’s more believable, 40% of our guild is a toxic global chatter and deserves a name change on the day of a tournament (while in game so you get kicked from the tournament), or that someone is abusing a system that will take our their opponent without having to fight them ethically. It’s common knowledge that mass reporting is a very real thing. I’ve had tickets opened with blizzard for months now still fighting this issue from their recent gacha game. I’ve since quit supporting their mobile entertainment because of the bullying/harassment my account has endured. I do not type in global chat for the shear fear that I will be banned. I still get chat suspended when my current ban is finished over and over and I don’t even play the game. Blizzard is doing nothing about it. A game I DO NOT play i’m currently getting banned on regularly. I see the emails saying “actions have been taken against your account”. I submitted multiple tickets that are still open to this day. I asked how I could be banned repeatedly when I haven’t logged on in over 45 days. They reply with “we found your suspension to be just and will not overturn the penalty”.

Have a good day I hope you see this is a serious issue and people will not stop paying even when they get banned. It’s an addiction. This is a predatory way of getting people to pay more. Not a tin foil theory. Just read the recent article on Forbes about Blizzard. Unless you think everyone from Forbes are wearing tin foil hats.

3 Likes

So which is it then? If you’re a new player genuinely asking questions, you wouldn’t be so intimately familiar with Blizzard and sanctions. I was going to respond more fully to break that all apart, but you’ve tripped yourself up and I’m not going to derail OP’s thread any more than it already has been for you to push your false narrative and conspiracy theories.

Again, I will wish those with appeals in all the best.

8 Likes

I’m brand new to World of Warcraft. Not sure what you’re referring to with false narratives and pushing my theories, but yeah wish you the best to. Sick burn i guess…

2 Likes

Alot are getting reversed, check email

1 Like

Agree 100%
Going forward, if Blizzard wants to let the hive mind run the BGs, then remove all objectives and quests, period. Anyone thinking Blizzard is being fair at this point isn’t making any sense at all.

1 Like

Classic toons don’t have an armory page.
Blizzard don’t delete characters.

Your understanding is extraordinarily limited.

4 Likes

Hmm then why is my current avatar my classic mage, but my classic rogue is nowhere to be found?

edit: Sorry I’ll avoid derailing the op. thanks for the support not sure if i can priv message you guys or not, but sucks to not be able to communicate with each other.

You can choose Classic characters to post with of course.

Nobully just made the observation about Classic characters not having access to the Armory pages.

3 Likes