[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

Old textures only being hairstyles and eyes that existed before prepatch? The rest of the world looks fine? Because I think all eyes/hair are upgraded to new textures. I’m suggesting a switch you can flip to make everything cosmetic use an old-style texture to avoid this bug.

Sorry if it’s a redundant question, I don’t think I can read all 330 posts again :slight_smile:

Oof.

The issue seems pretty simple to me. But again, I don’t work in the field. It might be incredibly thorny to solve. And if you’re saying they’re not likely to fix it soon, there goes my hopes.

Shortest expansion experience ever!

4 Likes

I’ll have to agree with @bragonsdane here. Is pointless to especulate on this issue.

Whatever you say, officer.

The world mostly looks fine from the very few I played. There are some textures here and there not rendering.

There are parts of the characters (both your, other players, and npcs) that are not rendering. For the parts rendered, they can be old textures or new, it doesn’t matter. For those parts not rendered, same thing.

If everything else looks good, clothes, mounts, weapons. In my case it’s just the eyes and hair (old and new) I even see the new mounts without any problem

2 Likes

For the new posters reporting in–keep the reports coming! The more traction and information we can get to work with, the better. And in case you missed it(since it kinda got buried), Bragonsdane gave an excellent breakdown earlier on what the potential issue could be.

As I’ve stated before, it seems a really weird problem to be caused by a processor, especially when everything else in WoW seems to be working normally. Other modern titles I’ve played recently have had zero issue as well. The example I used above was Monster Hunter:World, which released in 2017 and is much more demanding on the graphics. Another example I would point to is Planet Zoo–PZ released Nov 5, 2019, so it’s not even a year old yet, and given what sim games are–it can put a load on both the CPU and GPU with big zoos. I have had zero issues running Planet Zoo, even with the online franchise mode.

Thus it seems strange that there wouldn’t be a workaround somewhere, though it might take a few days to pinpoint and announce a solution and a few days more to actually get everything fixed. One of the major selling points in the past for WoW has been that it runs well on older hardware, so it also seems odd that Blizzard would suddenly abandon that position now(not saying they have). Ultimately, they’re gonna do whatever they’re gonna do; it’s just a wait-and-see at this point.

3 Likes

To be honest, I leveled from 45 to 50 this night. And saw this issue only one time outside of character, and explored pretty much all of zuldazar region.

it doesn’t matter if it’s an old or new style, none is rendered

Yeah, we cleared that up a few replies back. All cosmetics seem to be “new.” Their design isn’t new, but the way they are all displayed, even hair styles you’ve known for years, has changed.

Hey all,

Thank you for all the reports so far. We are currently investigating the situation and hope to have more information as soon as possible.

52 Likes

My processor: AMD Phenom 2
My video card: Geforce GTX 960

What I have done so far (these all resulted in the same outcome: black hair and skin and no eyes - the eyes are definitely the most disturbing part lol):

Put my boyfriend’s video card (Geforce GTX 1060) in my computer.

Tried different variations of DXDIAG (9-12) via WoW command line (-d3dx9, etc) and updated DXDIAG via Windows.

Put graphics to the very bare minimum.

Uninstalled WoW entirely (deleted all files), then reinstalled Windows 10, and reinstalled WoW once that was complete.

As an aside, guildmate has the same video card as I do and does not have this issue.

And lastly, with a different outcome, put my hard drive into my boyfriend’s computer to eliminate a software issue. Works fine on his computer.

In our opinion this seems to be a motherboard/GPU issue (or possibly memory). They’re just not playing too well together. Motherboard drivers and updates may help with this issue if there are any available but at this point we’re ready to just upgrade my motherboard and processor and get new memory.

I do want to point out that prior to patch, my computer had no issues at all running WoW at fairly high settings.

Sorry to everyone that is having this issue…it’s very frustrating. :frowning:

1 Like

Mark 2 more down with the same issue both with older AMD processors. Game runs great otherwise and I’ve been from BFA zones to Azeroth, to Outlands. We have different video cards so I’d agree with the architecture issue somewhere.

Thank you :smile:

WoW may now be using SSE4 instructions from the processor, which are not present in older amd models such as Athlon 2 and phenom II, and APUs A6, A8 and others. any other current game from blizzard I run without problems with a phenom II quad core, other games with newer graphics engines and full of details works with these processors too, others don’t. it’s up to the developer to provide compatibility, I hope blizzard creates a fix.

Two more here.
Computer #1: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Computer #2: AMD Phenom II X4 955, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I know these are older computers (#1 is getting upgraded this weekend) but we’ve had ZERO issues with either computer since BFA started and #2 is regularly at 75+ fps.

1 Like

downloaded the prepatch. updated my video drivers. my character models are almost completely black, my hair and eye color is black regardless of my color choice. the arms legs and waist are also black.

I have a nvidia 950gtx video card. which i have completely uninstalled and reloaded the up-to-date software. I cleared my game cashe. turned off all addons. reduced all graphics settings to standard. please baby Jesus help me!!!

1 Like

same issue
Phenom II x4 965, GTX 1060

2 Likes

Adding my voice to the thread just to be sure. AMD Phenom here as well, hopefully this doesn’t have to end on me buying an entirely new laptop.

So much for my hopes for this morning’s maintenance.

4 Likes