[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

Black hair, black skin, pinkish eyes I guess I’ll call it. Someone mentioned above, no eyes, maybe that is a more correct term.

Processor: AMD Phenom ™ II x6 (6cpus) 3.2 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070. (cmon, this not good anymore? Was great a yr and half ago at least).

I could understand if if the graphics in wow was like BDO patching, but cmon. BDO is fine on my pc, wow I am having probs with? Interesting.

On the brightside…at least there will probably be memes about this later and we can all look back on it and laugh as we rage about whatever other issues the game has at the time? At the very least, Blizz seems to be on the case, if I understand the blue posts correctly, and we’ve got lots of people helping out here by posting more information relating to the problem at hand.

1 Like

Correct, If this does indeed affect enough of their player base that it requires a second look, they will address it. Just keep reporting and keep it civil while we gather support for the cause.

I am still kinda wondering what’s wrong with skin and hair textures, no other texture is having issues, mounts, bosses, some unique NPCs. Just anything character-customization related

Adding me in this mix as well of affected users with this issue, i had the same exact Problem on PTR and it seems it carried over still… into the pre patch sigh…

AMD Phenom II X3 720
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti
Also Using 16gb of ram DDR 3

Also it seems as if it’s either update a load of stuff or no fix at this time? Kinda don’t wanna drop a load of money on stuff right now. I played perfectly fine all of BFA until this current issue.

I was looking forward to playing and checking stuff out but i guess not tonight. Unless they fix the issue.

2 Likes

Okay,

So this will probably be a bit of a long post so feel free to get a cup of coffee.

The AMD FX whatever was listed as the minimum system requirement… I wager this means that it is actually required! But enough of that. Let’s dive in and take a look at what this means.

The FX platform was built off the AMD Bulldozer core. You can read more about that [here (wikipedia link)](https ://en. wikipedia .org/wiki/Bulldozer_(microarchitecture)).

What’s important is that when the Bulldozer core came out a lot of folks didn’t realize that AMD switched instruction sets. This is a set of computer codes that programmers (like me) can write to tell the computer what to do. Most programmers don’t even bother with this and write code in a language that’s easy for humans to read. Then another bit of software takes that written code and translates it into something a computer can read and usually along the way they try to target specific sets of hardware to see if they can make it run as smoothly as possible.

Why is this important?

Because when AMD switched to Bulldozer, they switched from the old SSE instruction sets to the new AVX that the FX processors and my Ryzen 5 both currently use. (Ryzen actually uses AVX2 but that’s not important).

So there you have it. A HUGE difference that probably shouldn’t have much impact, but something with the player models somehow gets lost in translation when attempting to run on the older machines. I have no clue how. All that rendering should be done on the graphics card. This is perplexing to me now.

EDIT: I don’t have this bug on my Ryzen 5 1600

4 Likes

All this was reported a long time ago on the PTR forums. Blizzard sat around with the thumb up their rear and did nothing.

3 Likes

So uh, from what I can gather, it is something related to cooooding? Or something like that? I remember earlier in this post someone mentioned perhaps there’s something not being read right when it comes to in-game data.

Also for the d0mb, sm00th brain like me, would that problem be easy to fix or is it really a lost cause?

Very nice break down, this is exactly what I was referring to earlier with instruction sets. I suspect this is the cause, and why the fx series is now listed as minimum spec.

2 Likes

Adding my name to this lot as well, really hope this gets a fix.

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

1 Like

Looks like I’m running the King of Boomer builds, Athlon x2 and Radeon HD 7750 at what I consider to be comfortable fps. Didn’t think anything besides upgrading my gpu would be needed, this is unexpected.

I have some savings and I’m planning to buy a decent home gym machine, this is quite a dilemma now.

2 Likes

Also adding in running an amd phenom II and although I’m below minimum spec I went from a recommended 4 setting to now being recommended at a 5 setting, but only hair and eyes are affected.

Oh and the reason old Intel CPUs don’t have this issue?

they run AVX instruction sets.

2 Likes

THIS. Texture rendering should be done on the GPU and NOT the CPU. It seems like Blizz either accidentally (or maybe intentionally?) dumped that particular job on the cpu. But it really seems out of place there, and if all other textures are rendered on gpu as they should be it would explain why only these textures are suffering for it.

1 Like

Would a change in what renders what be significant enough for Blizzard to not consider doing (out of it being too much of a hassle) or is it within the realm of possibilty?

Don’t mock yourself. The smooth brains work at Blizzard not understanding a large portion of their playerbase uses their PC mostly for internet browsing and WoW.

You shouldn’t need to spend insane amounts of money on a new PC to play a 16 year old game, updates or not.

1 Like

It’s so nice to see someone else who understands this stuff explain it far better than I can. Intel supported AVX before AMD, so they don’t have this issue.

1 Like

Well the way Bliz is treating it, they are basically blaming the people having the issues for not spending several hundred dollars (or more) to upgrade to brand new CPUS & hardware to play WoW. Seems I picked the wrong time to come back into WoW. Now I can’t run it on my processor with 8gb of ram & a nVidia GTX 1050 Ti card. Damn sad when I do 3d rendering on this “old” system & “obsolete” video hardware without issue but WoW can’t even load texture maps for skin & hair…

I failed my coding classes and this is the conclusion that even I came to. I hope the explanations here help the devs pinpoint the issue so they can get it fixed. I imagine everyone will sleep better after.

EDIT: I will also note that after reading all that my guess is it’s an oversight on Blizz’s part on how AMD CPUs work vs other brands.

In my opinion it should be 100% within the realm of possibility. I’m just a hobbyist so take that with a grain of salt but I don’t think this would be impossible for someone like Blizz.

1 Like