[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

This is an issue that was reported on the PTR but never fixed, and seems to have made it to live now.
All skin and hair textures currently show as pitch black for characters and npcs for me.

https://i.imgur.com/ajSZQrv.png

36 Likes

I am having this issue as well. All of the skin, hair and even eye textures are gone. It is pitch black.

7 Likes

I’m having the same problem. All my skin (except face), hair and jewelry is black.

6 Likes

I am likewise experiencing this issue. Reported as a bug on the PTR as well.

2 Likes

Same!
Using a radeon graphics card if that matters

1 Like

From what I have seen on another thread it’s affecting multiple graphic card types.

3 Likes

Same. Updated video drivers, ran repair on game. No change in behavior whatsoever. NVidia GeForce GTX 1070. Windows 7. AMD Phenom II x6 1090T processor. Would appreciate a REPLY from someone official on what to expect on this. Game enjoyment currently non-existent.

7 Likes

I use the exact same processor. Perhaps this could be the lowest common denominator.

3 Likes

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T here. Maybe we’re on to something.

3 Likes

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T here

3 Likes

same stuff guys

3 Likes

Hmm, I have AMD Phenom II x4 B93.

2 Likes

In the same boat. Sadness.

3 Likes

Nvidia Geforce, having the same issue. Updated all drivers, messed with Direct X versions, texture related graphic settings and it remains unfixable on my end.

1 Like

Galias, what processor are you using?

2 Likes

Oh. AMD Athlon x4 640 processor.

I’m starting to see a theme here. (This is Galias, just switched to my actual primary toon)

2 Likes

As I mentioned in a different thread, I’m not sure how the processor could be causing missing textures, but weird computer problems happen all the time in my experience. So far everyone I’ve seen with the problem and listing a processor seems to be using AMD hardware–most of them some permution of Phenom. Definitely seeing a pattern.

2 Likes

Hey all,

AMD Phenom processors are technically below the minimum system requirements for patch 9.0.

It’s possible this is a bug or engine limitation due to something that changed in 9.0, however I can’t confirm that. Phenom technically did not meet the minimum system requirements for Battle for Azeroth either, but I agree it’s odd if it’s the CPU that is causing the issue.

Does the texture display issue persist on all DirectX versions? DirectX 11, DirectX 11 (Legacy), and DirectX 12?

1 Like

Thanks for your response, Jambrix. I have tested DX12, 11 and Legacy 11. There were no changes and these specific textures still remained black.

I tried switching to DirectX 11 but the problem persisted. Trying a fresh install to see if that fixes anything. I just got done replacing my graphics card a few weeks ago so I’d really like to not have to shell out another chunk of cash on parts just yet. I’ve not had issues running WoW previously, and my other games(some of which are graphically intensive, like Monster Hunter World) have had no issues either.

Edit: I also logged into a character to see what would happen. The game itself runs smoothly, even better than before, it almost feels. But the textures are missing.

4 Likes