Alpha Survival Tree Feedback - Long Post

Preface

I love Survival. It’s been my main spec for 15 years now. I am in favor of Survival as a melee spec; if you’re of the opinion that any tree that keeps it that way is inherently incorrect, then we’re not going to see eye to eye. This post is completely in terms of a melee Survival build.

It’s also a huge wall of text. I tried to organize it into fairly concise chunks, and tried to keep the feedback constructive. To say it as politely as possible, though, I’m incredibly disappointed in this current Talent Tree.

As a last note, I don’t analyze the class tree here. Only Survival specific talents.

Deadly Duo and Coordinated Assault

Deadly Duo reads:

When Kill Command’s cooldown is reset, you have a 5/10/15% chance to reset the cooldown of Kill Shot, and your next Kill Shot can be used on any target, regardless of the target’s health.

Kill Command has a 25% reset chance. You have a 15% chance when it resets to give you a Kill Shot. This means you have a 3.75% chance, on an ability with a 6s CD, to get to use it. For six total talent points in investment between Predator (a necessity to make this work) and Deadly Duo.

This is the only way to use Kill Shot above 20% for Survival. As such, for single-target encounters, this directly impacts the value of Explosives Expert, another 3-point talent, and Coordinated Assault, which now reads:

You and your pet charge your enemy, striking them for Physical damage. You and your pet’s bond is then strengthened for 20 seconds, causing your pet’s Basic Attack [Bite / Claw / Slam] to empower your next spell cast:

Carve: Reduces the cooldown of your Wildfire Bomb by an additional 1 sec.
Kill Shot: Applies Bleeding Gash [Venthyr Legendary] to your target.

The only way to get the Kill Shot effect is through Deadly Duo, or to have them already in execute range. Deadly Duo has only a 3.75% chance of proccing each time you hit Kill Command. There is no other single-target benefit for Coordinated Assault except the initial “Physical damage” on the charge. That’s… clearly a flawed design. There’s a fairly decent chance that Coordinated Assault provides no benefit except the initial damage.

Coordinated Assault does have a follow-up talent, providing 100% crit when Kill Command resets (for 3 talent points). Due to Coordinated Assault no longer boosting your reset chance, though, this talent is basically 3 points for 25% crit chance during that window. There is no benefit to critting, besides the raw damage increase, so there’s no “synergy multipliers” or anything hidden in there. And, again, it’s possible to whiff four Kill Command resets in a row (about a 31% chance) and gain 0 crit from this.

Spearhead

You and your pet charge your enemy, striking them for Physical damage. You then become one with your pet for 12 sec. While active, your pet damage is increased by 25%, Raptor Strike and Mongoose Bite deal an additional 35% damage over 4 sec, and Kill Command has a 20% increased chance to reset.

The first sentence is copy-paste from the Coordinated Assault rework, and the second sentence makes it seem like we’re assembling Voltron. Phrasing aside, this is closer to what the old Coordinated Assault actually was.

Coordinated Assault on live provided 20% damage and 25% Kill Command reset for 20 seconds on a 2-minute cooldown. Here, we have a shorter duration, but higher % damage and lower reset rate. That seems possibly okay! However, it all depends on how the DoT scales with Mongoose Bite and the cooldown. I don’t see any non-Mongoose build going for this.

If the DoT acts like Ignite, this is pretty good. If the DoT is refreshed with the higher effect being reapplied, that’s also pretty good (especially off early crits). If the DoT is replaced with the new one, that’s pretty terrible. This likely adds up to about 27.5-30% DPS for 12 seconds, which unfortunately will really push Survival towards more haste to overly pile in on that window within the Mongoose Bite window. Only getting 8 GCDs by default hurts, so you’re unlikely to see more than about 6 Mongoose Bites within that window. This probably needs a longer window than Mongoose Fury.

Of note, this cooldown does nothing for AoE, so this is probably not a good M+ choice.

Other Circle / Passive Talents

There’s a lot to unpack here. First, let’s form a frame of reference by providing some numbers on the other talent trees revealed so far. There have been 16 trees so far.

The average tree (ignoring Survival) has 37 ± 4 total nodes, covering a range of 33-45 nodes.
Survival has 30.

The average tree (ignoring Survival) has 27 ± 6 one-point nodes, 9 ± 3 two-point nodes, and 1.3 ± 1.3 three-point nodes. There’s six specs without any three-point nodes, eight with 2-3, and Feral has 4. Two of Feral’s are not prerequisites to anything else, at least.
Survival has 10.

Very few of the 3-point talents revealed so far for any class are exactly captivating. However, no other spec has been given 3-point talents that simply provide basic stats for your character. Yes, Thrill of the Hunt for BM provides Crit, but it’s through active gameplay. Survival has flat Crit and flat Crit damage. Notably, no talent provides a proc or buff for landing a critical strike, so this doesn’t provide notable synergy. It’s worth noting they gave MM a 2-point/4% Crit talent as well, and that talent is also disappointing. Unless I missed something, that’s the only other Spec talent that provides raw stats unconditionally.

Even if these talents are numerically good, think of it from a new player perspective. Your friends are learning all of their cool “Mutilate applies a bleed, which multiplies with my other talents!” or “Death Coil reduces the cooldown of Dark Transformation? Neat!” or “Mind Blast cleaves if I keep VT up!” and Survival gets 2% crit damage. For three talents in a row. And no rewards for building crit otherwise. Before they get any talents that boost their crit chance.

Many other multi-point talents given to Survival are effectively identical. Improved Wildfire Bomb and Tactical Advantage are basically just %Damage increases to Wildfire Bomb. Spear Focus and Sweeping Spear are the same way for Raptor Strike. Killer Companion is identical to Improved Kill Command from the Hunter Class Tree (and half as good as BM tier-1 talent Killer Command). Currently, Kill Command deals pretty weak damage, with a significantly lower attack power modifier than anything else in our kit. It’s unlikely to suddenly be a giant nuke, and 10% more of a pittance is still pretty small and unexciting. Realistically, any “unconditional small % damage buff” talent doesn’t feel good to unlock. It’s a tax. And Survival has more than any other class by a landslide.

In any other class, Predator would be a 1-point talent; is it that different from Rime from an action-economy standpoint, or Ruthlessness from a resource-generation standpoint? Lunge is a 1-point talent for Outlaw, and their weapons are shorter than a spear.

Improved Harpoon is the worst kind of talent. It’s boring, it doesn’t feel good to pump two points into it, and if you are taking it, it’s basically a 3-point talent for Terms of Engagement.

Energetic Ally is in a competitive slot deep in the tree. Conversely, max resource increases are in tier 1 for Feral and Frost DK. Do we really think that 20 Focus with no other benefit is worth more Tier 3 points for Survival than the 1 point Rogues spend on 50 energy and 15% regen in their class tree?

Among passive talents, only 9 of the 20 directly affect your rotation, while the rest provide numeric advantages. That’s pretty much all that needs to be said.

Square and Octagonal Talents

Just to be brief, Survival also has the fewest Spec-specific abilities designed for it in the game (10), tied with Outlaw. Outlaw, however, has the most passive talents designed for it with 35 (this has kind of always been their thing). The other pure DPS have about 12-16, while tanks and healers have more. Mentioning this sounds like a kid complaining about getting fewer presents at Christmas, but it’s fairly obvious the team is having issues coming up with abilities for Survival.

Aspect of the Eagle is now available no earlier than level 51, while it’s available at 24 on live. There’s no reason for it to be so deep in the tree from that perspective alone.

Carve and Butchery together is two bland abilities making a bland choice. Carve isn’t even given the cooldown reduction baseline to make up for it, so it’s an additional tax.

Suggestions

I’m not a game designer. “Players know what they don’t want, but they don’t know what they want” is a pretty true quote. However, you can kind of see what they’re going for here, and so I have a few vague suggestions to help replace current “tax” and “filler” talents. Obviously none of these are perfect, but they’re starting blocks that seem to be untouched.

Move some talents up the tree, and reduce point bloat. Energetic Ally and Aspect of the Eagle have no business being in Tier 3. Most of the %damage-only talents just… need to be baked into the base damage of the skill, and replaced with something interesting.

Provide a benefit for Critical Strike. Especially for the Coordinated Assault / Coordinated Kill line. Even consider turning Sharp Edges into a stacking buff that you can keep up whenever you crit with Kill Command. It’s clear that they want Survival to want Crit, but it’s literally only a flat advantage right now. Alternatively, make Predator provide resets based on crit chance. That’s probably a more extreme suggestion, granted. Or, you know, Expose Weakness was a pretty good crit payoff.

Change Deadly Duo to “When you reset Kill Command twice in a row” or “guarantee on reset with PPM” or anything instead of random chance. This should be fairly self explanatory. The Low%Proc-on-a-Low%Proc thing has got to go.

Traps. In Cataclysm, we got the initial “you need to commit to a spec” talents. When we did so, the descriptor for Survival was:

A rugged tracker who favors using animal venom, explosives and traps as deadly weapons.

As it stands, Survival as a tree only touches on “explosives.” While Serpent Sting (and a single-upgrade choice) are available in the class tree, as well as Steel Trap now being available to all hunters for some reason, Survival doesn’t have a single talent that mentions Traps. That seems like an absolutely glaring omission. Please not Soulforge Embers, though; using Flare for DPS feels so bad. On the venoms note, the Venomous Fangs Azerite Power is pretty cool imho.

Add talents that help Survival… survive. Attacking during Turtle, healing during Turtle, bonus Leech (even if only on Raptor Strike like Legion had!), etc. Feral still gets their Instant Regrowths for using talents, so this including non-DPS talents isn’t exactly unheard of so far.

Anything playing into Camouflage. Camo just seems like such a Survival ability. It’s the Spec icon! Would be cool to get some kind of benefit for using it, even if it’s just as part of the opener (say, 5 seconds of focus gen or something tame like that).

Conclusions

The talent tree is in a very alpha state, to say things nicely. There’s a lot of the fantasy of the Survival hunter that has been unexplored. A lot of talents are bland filler, while others won’t actually lead to interesting gameplay in their current state. It seems fairly apparent that this tree received significantly less attention than any of the Rogue specs, or even BM Hunter, that were released today.

20 Likes

Complaining about SV’s issues while defending SV being melee is like complaining about thirst when out in a desert while refusing to stop eating potato chips. It’s the most major source and contributor to all the problems the spec faces including the directionless and nonsense DF talent design. At some point the melee brains including Blizzard devs need to come to terms that it was a bad idea executed badly and doubling down on it is not the solution for the long term health of the spec (case in point: Survival spending the better part of the last 6 years being the circus freak of class design).

12 Likes

Surv should always be ranged.

That being said, they literally just pushed surv back into the garbo trap rotation which is aweful. Idk why anyone wants that.

7 Likes

Thanks for the detailed post and analysis. Survival hunter tree is an absolute joke at the moment. They want you to spend 3 points to get KC resets, 3!! Fury of the Eagle is on the wildfire part of the tree for some reason and more than half of the tree is garbage % damage increase. So many things could’ve been done with new poisons, explosives, traps but they instead made a ****ty warrior with a pet. No, this has nothing to do with SV being melee, it has everything to do with blizzard being lazy and not putting enough effort in.

Curse you blizzard, fix your game.

7 Likes

maybe someone who is more intimately familiar with the spec can help reveal this grand mystery to me: judging from this, what is blizzard’s intent with the spec, and what niche is it meant to fill compared to other melee specs?

2 Likes

I think blizzard’s view of SV is you are the most ranged out of all melee specs, you are the most hybrid between melee and ranged when comparing to other melee specs.

The bulk of your dps will still come from raptor strike/mongoose bite, however you do have quite few ranged abilities as well to mix in with melee and you are not completely helpless when you have to go ranged.

I would argue that at one point there was a “trap master” aspect of SV as well but that has been largely left behind.

4 Likes

Um no.

They want you to be this sort of rexxar-ish style hunter that uses traps, melee attacks, and with the help of a pet.

They give surv eagle for utility reasons. It was inplemented during the time when surv was adhorrently bad and hunters were having issues with getting full mongoose stacks. So they gave them eagle to be able to utilize the stacks.

Thats it. There was no “ranged melee,” there was no “jump in and out of melee.” There was no “mid-ranged” hunter spec.

Did we not just say this yesterday? Lol

Was that you? I think it was.

Surv tree can be summed up this easily: “increase damage by X.” Seriously. Thats it. The tree is seriously laughable at best. It fixes NOTHING. It brings in basically nothing new. There are talents that override other talents that override others. Surv hunters are basically cornered back into the trap/mongoose playstyle that is so horrifically clunky and bad.
The bomb side of the tree is riddled with talents that should be on the mongoose side of the tree. In fact, the end talent has NOTHING to do with bombs AND is locked behind probably the WORST talent ive ever seen.
So yesterday we were clear that KC was garbo. Guess what bm and surv trees are absolutely full of? KC talents. Seriously. Wtf. Harpoon and KC. Thats it. With all the problems pets have and they base 80% of the trees on KC, like THAT isnt going to be a massive issue in DF.
This js just the beginning. I mean, i can go on for a long time how these garbo trees are just bad.

Blizz really doesnt think or have any ideas at ALL on what they are doing. They are completely disconnected with the playerbase outside of the 1% and it shows.

2 Likes

This is probably the best breakdown of the talent tree I have seen and I agree with everything. :ok_hand: Thank you

I literally leveled a toon to level 10 Just to be able to post here on the US forums to agree with OP!

The state of the current survival tree is so below standard/acceptable that I personally would never have released it for a preview. The tree itself has by far the fewest talent choices and over 30% of them are 3-point talents and pretty much all of them are pure numeric % increases. And then we have 6 2-point talents who are very much the same, that’s another 19%. So combined we have 50% of our talents being 2-3 point picks with incredibly lackluster effects.

These need to be changed to 1-point talents or at the very max 2-point talents. And they need to either be reworked to give some actual interesting gameplay/changes Or better, we need to get like 10 new talents put in that actually add some flavor/gameplay to the two build options. The fact that the AoE “wildfire bomb” build is barely half of the left tree says it all.

I am in no way a designer and don’t have the answers. But on the other hand I do know that the content of the current survival tree is way too small and way too lackluster. The people over at Blizzard who are supposed to be educated professionals who does this for a living need to step the frakk up and deliver.

I have never before seen something in alpha that I disliked/hoped would get improved and then actually seen it improve thru alpha/beta. But this time around I really do hope it happens. Because I personally, who play survival as a main, won’t take this. I will probably just quit or reroll a class that has decent designers.

6 Likes

Why does rouge have all this control in the beginning of there trees but hunter have spec all the way at the bottom to get steel trap! Like HUH?!?!?!? Makes zero sense.

Why does hunter have to spec 3 points to get increased range on melee attacks but rouge only specs 1 point!?!?!?!??!

4 Likes

Also hunters have to spend 3 points for 6% movementspeed and rogues have to spend 1 points for 15%

5 Likes

I’m actually pretty satisfied with the Survival tree. For a long time I’ve wanted to have Mongoose Bite, Wildfire Infusion and Chakrams all at once, and now I can!!! :raised_hands: Although I am a little sad. With my build it seems like I won’t have enougv points to keep Serpent Sting and Viper’s Venom. Oh well. I may take Fury of the Eagle to help round out the rotation.

Fishing for Mad Bombardier procs is so much more enjoyable than going back to the clunky “playing off whatever bomb you have up”. Wildfire Bomb should be the baseline ability instead of Raptor Strike and the spec should be playing off that.

1 Like

There’s 30 nodes in Survival. Are you satisfied that you can specifically reach two of those? Or are you satisfied with the piles of passive %Damage boosts that comprise the tree?

I’m not satisfied because clearly there was minimal effort put into this tree. Spend five minutes looking over Assassination, Combat, Shadow… and that’s overtly apparent.

4 Likes

My biggest problem with the survival tree is that there are too many talents that cost 2-3 points; when similar talents in other classes cost 1 point. It will leave Survival feeling nerfed.

4 Likes

Honestly? Yeah. I only wanted a few specific things, and they’re there. But as I said, I hope everyone’s concerns get addressed before DF launch. I’m more concerned about the Subtlety tree.

Surv tree is sheer garbage. Like dog poop garbage. Its entire existence is “increases dmg by x.” Thats it. There is nothing good about the tree. Not only that but it takes more points to get nowhere then any other tree we have seen. The tree forces a player to take utility to get to key dmg talents.

The tree is a complete trainwreck. I dont care if you got what you wanted, that means nothing to me.

2 Likes

We all are free to have their own opinion but… are you actually looking at the 31% (10) 3-point X% talents and the 19% (6) 2-point X%/DR talents and the 5 KC talents which only purpose is to give us a 3% chance for a free KS or the 3 or so talents that are there to give us a coordinated assault which literally lacks reasonable synergy and zero buffs and say you think the tree is ok because there is 1-2 things there that you’d like?

It worries me that people honestly look at the tree and goes: Cool, we got fury of the eagle back, I am happy! or something similar and doesn’t actually see how the smallest tree in the game with 50% X% damage increase talents are Not a decent or even acceptable talent tree?

I am happy there is things in there that you like and are happy about. I am interested in Spearhead and I am happy about quite a few talents in the class tree but you can’t possibly think that the survival spec tree is even semi-acceptable, even for alpha testing?

3 Likes

I did the math in another thread and you can boil down the survival tree into this:

• The whole tree is only 32 talents, that is the smallest of all spec trees.

• 31% or 10 talents are 3-point X% damage multipliers, dead talents.

• 19% or 6 talents are 2-point X% damage multipliers/DR, dead talents

• 5 talents are solely Kill Command related, dead talents since it’s our filler and since the whole “Kill shot” build is dead. It’s 5 talents + some others just to get a 3% chance for a free Kill shot. That is not a build.

• Another 3 talents are purely Coordinated assault related. Coordinated assault is a charge with some Very weak “synergies” to carve/Kill shot. No damage increase, no haste, no pet damage increase. Nothing. And to make it even more infuriating it’s one of the three T3 branches, no one will ever put talents in this as is.

• Then we have 3 talents that are purely there to give us… harpoon! Yes, three talents and 4 talent points to get our harpoon back and working.

This is being nice, there is other things in the tree that could be scrutinized and this is just some statistics to show how horribly lacking the tree is. For example: Sweeping spear and Spear focus is almost identical talents. Or Improved wildfire bomb and Tactical advantage is also almost identical talents. If this is not proof of how lacking the tree is I don’t know what is.

With this we see that 10+6+5+3+3=27. 27 out of our 32 talents are either dead talents or just complete and utter filler talents. No other class or spec tree is this badly designed or executed. They need to scrap it and go back to the drawing board for sure. Does this go live as is or even similar the spec is dead. There wont’ be a build playable. And this is not personal opinion, it’s facts. There is no synergies and there is no rotation.

6 Likes