All you computer and coding wizards, is blizzard right?

There wasnt an instability with TBC launch, you know what they said to keep stability? Layering the server to not overpopulate and cause load crashing

unless you work for blizz, you can’t know and anyone saying different is full of it.

I will say, throwing hardware at a problem has diminishing returns.

I’m a Lead Senior User Interface Developer Architect for a fortune 100 company, building complex banking and retail bond trading software that leverages AI and Machine Learning. We had to rethink two of our products as it wasn’t scaling and causing issues for Bankers and Traders. It’s a SaaS platform (Software as a service, Cloud Services), and our Sales team moved many clients to that platform.

We had our RESTful API services crashing, 50*'s errors, servers getting shellacked, and just about every lousy issue. It was ALL HANDS ON DECK from DevOps to all technical teams. The problem was two new SaaS we launched that did real-time cash inflows and outflows, and we had 10’s thousands of users hammering the platform. It took us a few weeks to figure out a hack solution and about 1 1/2 months to have a permanent fix.

Many were unsure and planned for another data center or two, but it would have cut into profits big time. Once we finally fix the scaling issue, we can have 100’s thousands of users hammering that product now. In addition, we now moved all our other apps with the same update and did it without cutting into profits. With that said, I think Blizzard could fix this, but it would take dozens and dozens and dozens of engineers from all areas to solve the issue.

Long story short, can this be fixed? Yes!
Would it be a pain in the rear? Double Yes!

Why was it all hands on deck? Some of the largest banks threatened to move to other SaaS solutions from other companies. So basically, all the Chief _______ Officers were like fix this or find a new job, and we set it and have gained more customers and might see a 5 figure bonus in Q1 when prizes are given out.

Sorry for any typo’s!

Your money talks; if 10,000 unsubbed, you better believe heads would be rolling to fix the problem. That’s almost 2 million dollars yearly, and stakeholders would be on a rampage.

a bad isp on the verge of bankruptcy ?

Ok they’re liars is what you’re saying. That’s literally from the guy that runs the game and he clearly states layering doesn’t increase server capacity. Ignored, bc you’re ignorant.

Dude, the servers are on their bum right now. Stuff is breaking

BTW here’s a quick explanation from blizzard about how they can scale up if needed.

The short answer is Blizzard has its own large data centers in key places around the world.

They use virtual servers to manage periods of high usage. This occurs around game launches and BlizzCon. There has been virtual server augmentation for the launch of WoW Classic. Even so, the demand for PvP servers was much higher than expected. There is a bump up in PvP servers utilizing virtual servers. That will remain for a while until the demand flattens out. As this occurs, these new servers will be stealthy moved to the Blizzard data centers. Players won’t notice the change. We have a great IT department!

Blizzard, like most companies, wants to minimize to cost of being hosted on clouds. But, they are a cost effective alternative to buying excess hardware for high demand periods.

In short they can indeed scale up and have done so for classic. But it costs money to do so since they would have to pay for cloud servers.

Maybe you should in fact educate yourself.

Of course, it could be fixed, eventually, and who knows how much time and money it would take. It certainly wouldn’t be resolved in time for Wrath launch.

The much more cost effective solution is to just distribute players across different servers. Scaling horizontally.

The only valid thing to be mad at Blizzard for here is the lack of population management. They shot themselves in the foot by letting these realms grow to such sizes.

Virtual Server. You know they all share the same hardware right? Blizzard can “scale up” but it’s not infinite.

My theory is they simply dont want to pay to scale it up temporarily. They need to work out a deal to scale it for X months payment plan with options to scale back.

Nothings broken, if youre talking about the plague stuff thats in game nonsense. Even if there is an actual cap and its reached, you cant convince me that a company with billions in profit a year has no way to increase server caps. They literally did it in TBC and theres an article about it with a simple google search.

Right hence why they can scale out to cloud servers not just their own virtual servers.

qq. what do you think cloud “servers” are? they’re all backed by hardware. In fact, you can spin up your own physical server and pick and choose how many you need. The problem now however is that WoW needs to be completely re-built to how Classic was originally written. Not that simple bud.

Read what I quoted from blizzard :slight_smile:

They can indeed spin up classic servers in the cloud on demand, it just costs them money to do. Probably because they only have a limited contract and going beyond that costs a large premium.

And I know WoW might seem massive but cloud hosting companies have massive massive amounts of compute available to them.

I seriously doubt Blizzard has to make a deal with anyone to get more servers up. Unless they just outsource the servers (machines) management entirely.

They do both, in house servers and cloud hosted servers. Sounds like classic is at whatever their internal capacity is and they don’t want to scale it out to the cloud again.

How do you know? If I had to put money on it, I’d say it’s all cloud hosted, if it’s how retail is hosted. And cloud hosting doesn’t mean outsourced, they can have their own cloud environment.

Imagine thinking the players have any blame for these issues LOL what a world it must live in to be so delusional

The short answer is Blizzard has its own large data centers in key places around the world.

They use virtual servers to manage periods of high usage. This occurs around game launches and BlizzCon. There has been virtual server augmentation for the launch of WoW Classic. Even so, the demand for PvP servers was much higher than expected. There is a bump up in PvP servers utilizing virtual servers. That will remain for a while until the demand flattens out. As this occurs, these new servers will be stealthy moved to the Blizzard data centers. Players won’t notice the change. We have a great IT department!

Blizzard, like most companies, wants to minimize to cost of being hosted on clouds. But, they are a cost effective alternative to buying excess hardware for high demand periods.

There’s your answer, they have both, cloud hosting is more expensive hence they try to avoid them.

And since this likely will be short spike until wrath launches they’re probably just hoping the need dies down.

The problem won’t solve the problem until people speak with their money. Heck, that’s many companies. But, if it cuts into profits once shareholders/stakeholders get a whiff of it, crap will hit the fan. And I don’t mean it takes 50% profit as they’re so greedy (I would be too) that they get livid over a 100 thousand loss per fiscal quarter.

Your pockets are the only way they come up with a solid fix. You can complain nine ways till Sunday, but if you’re still playing, then you’re still paying, and don’t expect any fixes soon other than minor patches. We have a pretty robust CI/CD process in place, and some days, we have a ton (100ish) of bug patch releases throughout the day; these are lower than minor, but we are constantly fixing bugs and save our two-week minor releases and small features. And 12 months for major releases.