Account Hacked

I am not sure what else I can do here. On Saturday/Sunday my main account was hacked. They changed the email/phone number and made a new account with my old email as the register so when I did recovery it got the new account instead of the old. All this with no emails from Blizzard about any changes. I had an authenticator on the account it was a physical one that is currently sitting on my desk so no one else has access to it. I opened several tickets but they all get cancelled not even closed so they dont get archived. Live chat and phone chat support never became available for some reason so I am unable to reach an actual person to get this resolved. I have scrubbed my pc for any and everything and changed all my email passwords and added 2FA to them as well. I have almost all Blizzard games registered to the old account but cannot get anyone to respond and assist me.

1 Like

To do this, they are in your email and actively using it. They are also still in your account cancelling tickets.

That helps. Depending on how they are accessing your email and account.

That should still be on there. Unless they have enough info about you to get it removed. The only other option is some sort of malware on your PC that logs in from your PC. Man in the middle attack does not seem likely as you have not had to enter your Auth code for them to intercept.

I would wait for a Blue and see what they have to say about it.

I would also make a new email that you KNOW is secure - from a PC or device you know is secure, and set up 2 factor on it. You will want to use that new email to get your account back from Blizz. Also remember, never reply to emails, you have to use tickets. If you can’t reply to the ticket, make a new one and cite the previous ticket number at the start.

5 Likes

I made the ticket from one of my old RAF accounts I cannot access the original account to make a ticket from. So it is unlikely the hacker cancelled the ticket.

Make sure the email for the old RAF account is secure! You can indeed use that RAF account to talk to Blizzard CS. Leave that ticket open. You can edit it with a new and secure email you want Blizzard to change your main account to once you prove you are the account holder.

If you can give Blizzard a charname-server the Blues here can probably see if the ticket is in the right category. They are not GMs, but they can make sure you are using the support system properly, even if it takes time for a GM to get to the ticket.

Do not use your former email, even if it is now secure.

5 Likes

I do see your tickets on the bnet you are posting under, Elhani.

You have two currently open.

Looks like whoever did this had entirely too much of your information and managed to clear the security checks - that’s not good.

That email is likely compromised, and I’d be very suspect of the security of your PC.

While this is being worked on - I’d make sure of the security of both - and it wouldn’t hurt to have a totally new email used just for this setup and ready to go.

7 Likes

Yea I put the phone auth on the RAF account and added my characters to the ticket as you recommended. Uploaded my drivers license as an attach.

Thanks Orlyia I do have another email I can use with a different provider or I can make a brand new fresh.

1 Like

Make a brand new fresh one. Do it from a different computer. Don’t log into that email from the suspect computer until you go through it with a malware cleaner!

I have an email that is only for Blizzard. I have another email that is only for Steam and another for other games (Daybreak, etc). An email for my bills. Those 4 emails have 2FA for them.

I have an email for random stuff, and then I have a junk email, where all ‘register here to access our page!’ is used.

2 Likes

Honestly, I would use another computer to create a windows installer, and nuke the drive of the infected computer. Clean out the old partitions and partition table, create an entirely new OS.

2 Likes

Back in old days, my kid (without going into too much detail, she had a brain injury and had a learning diability/emotional disturbance for a long time) decided to play on some ‘doll-making sites’. (Like playing with paper dolls, I think; i can’t remember exactly). We told her to stay off of them, but the minute we walked out of the room, if the computer was on, she’d go and get right on. Took us about 3 months to get that to stop; and we had to nuke the computer every few weeks, and had to turn off the screen (she didn’t realize they were two different things) if we walked away. Had an installer floppy (yeah).

A few years later, she discovered L***wire (in case it’s not allowed *) . /sigh Same thing, but it only took us wiping her laptop drive twice before she stopped.

Love that child, but she is going to be the death of me.

4 Likes

Nowadays, I’d just implement network level filtering for that. Kid can’t get to sites that the router has blocked.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m not sure how that would have worked then…I mean, a phone call could disrupt the connection, so…but I’m not a tech person either…

It’s a lot easier now.
Grandma just doesn’t let the grandkids play on the internet at her house, on her devices. LOL

3 Likes

For my home network, I have a pi hole setup as a network level ad blocker, and a side effect of that is there’s a setting to log every DNS query sent on the network, with a 1-click block button on the admin console.

1 Like

It’s like you’re trying to communicate with me, I know it!

2 Likes

Did finally get a GM response in ticket but they move at the speed of one response every 24+ hours so it might take a minute.

Unfortunately, due to heightened ticket queues, live chat has been disabled for a bit now. I haven’t seen it suggested in some time now, but I still would say that it couldn’t hurt to leave a phone number where you can be reached and offer your availability for a call back if they’re able to do that still? The worst thing they can do is say that they’re not allowed to and you’re no worse off than you were.

I will also add that when you’re replying to an active and ongoing ticket, you’re in a higher priority queue than you would be initially. Responses do tend to happen a little quicker, but also that this is taking place right with a massive patch/content drop for Classic’s SOD, a lot of account sanctions that we’re seeing in the lead up in addition to all of the normal stuff that is being sent in for GMs to address. That isn’t your fault, but it just is what it is for the timing falling as it is.

7 Likes

Yea its frustrating but it is finally moving I think. I appreciate everyone’s comments and tips here.

3 Likes

The layoffs recently have nothing to do with live chat being down theyve been down long because of high ticket quea get your facts straighr bedore spreading mosinformation.

5 Likes

Oh boy, where to begin.

Live chat was available last summer/fall. Then a bunch of banwaves, content drops and the like sent ticket times skyrocketing. So the recent changes wouldn’t be the reason.

In 2019 - CS staff wasn’t affected in the layoff. Of the 800 people in the 2019 layoff, only 209 were Blizzard employees, and all of the layoffs came from development and administrative departments. Customer Service was not involved at all.

If you’re so embittered with a company that you’ve got nothing better to do than post in the most heavily regulated forum there is to consistently be proven so very wrong about all the rhetoric you’re trying to spread - why are you still here and giving them money? If I were so miserable, I would be playing something I enjoyed. Life is too short.

9 Likes

The only thing I got wrong was the developmental department. CS was not touched with the 2019 layoffs. Period.

Source

7 Likes

At this point this is trolling, Stabyaninja - I recommend you stop.

17 Likes