Anti Necro Posting

How come the Europe forums for WoW have this thing where threads automatically lock one month after the first reply and we do not? Necroing threads is against the rules since it could cause confusion and discourages making new threads, but without prevention it just keeps happening every now and then.

14 Likes

How come Europe has a cheese rolling race competition and we don’t?

34 Likes

That’s a good question. We need to dream of cheese more. :cheese:

11 Likes

So who’s bookmarking this topic for later?

21 Likes

:sweat_smile: :sweat_drops:

They do? Damn I love cheese

2 Likes
5 Likes

Life is hard for necromancers they have families to raise

45 Likes

Tempting actually. Because this is the perfect Sunday Morning Necro.

2 Likes

Oh dear…

6 Likes

+1 for you sir

3 Likes

I blame Bolvar for the raising of dead threads.

2 Likes

I’m sure somebody will necro this thread in 6 months.

I was actually just discussing this with a colleague yesterday. We didn’t immediately agree on the right timeframe for a thread to close after its last post, but it seems like 60 or 90 days is more than enough time.

85 Likes

Oh sweet a Blue reply. Thank you, that sounds good.

The European forums already lock after 30 days, per the OP.

You mean Americans need a different lock time?

2 Likes

We’ve certainly had a different time for the last 14 months. It’s hard to know what we need though. This region includes all of the Americas, Australia, and New Zealand.

But the setting isn’t by-region. It’s by-forum. And we can test it on a specific forum, if we want to. For instance, a bug report forum is a place where we’ve read every post extensively, and perhaps don’t want older threads revived when a player experiences something new.

17 Likes

I really never did understand the anti-necro rules on any forum. There are plenty of times I’ve searched something on google, found a thread that had my exact problem that was months old and would’ve benefited greatly from responding in that thread so the OP gets notifications and I don’t have to re-state a bunch of things.

All because old threads are inherently bad for… reasons?

25 Likes

I am. Also obligatory demand for Mortis to request the deletion of DHs.

1 Like

60 to 90 days after the last post makes plenty of sense. That means a thread that is even somewhat an active discussion wouldn’t get locked prematurely.

However unless the OP mistyped something, they were asking for a lockout 30 days after the first post. One might think they have an axe to grind against some of the more popular megathreads.

At least now I know how often this thread needs to be resurrected to keep it from getting necrotic. :+1:

6 Likes