Anti Necro Posting

I didn’t necessarily suggest for the forums to have threads locked 30 days after the first post. I was just making a point that the Europe forums have this system in place for their General Discussion and we don’t so I mentioned that.

Also, @Dumb, the rules are in place because again it can be confusing for threads to resurface especially on old subjects and not creating new threads goes against what we want which is creating new threads with new replies to keep the forum thriving and lively. You could refer to how it was posted before by a particular person to remind people. I don’t actually know why exactly anti necro rules are in place, I’m just making reasonable assumptions.

1 Like

yah.

zero!

so… will we be seeing this introduced to the NA forum at some point?

in a game which constantly changes, so much stuff can vary from patch to patch.
necroing threads with outdated information isn’t very helpful.

9 Likes

In Na, we dislike multiples of the same thread. Hence why we use megathreads more often and for longer periods of time.

2 Likes

I think it makes sense to lock down a post after x days. I don’t think deleting the post is right though. That way when searching for it you don’t lose the history and info. People can still reference it at any time just can’t revive it. If there’s a need to revive a post that old then it probably warrants a new post all together and you can link the old one for reference if needed.

3 Likes

if you can lock based on time from the first reply, you should just set a time frame of like a month from the LAST reply. if no one replies to something for a month, people are probably done with that thread.

2 Likes

What annoys me is threads that are still 100% current and applicable that get locked after a month or so. I think some discretion should be made based on what kind of thread it is.

1 Like

I’m confused about this practice as well, on other forum (e.g. Stackoverflow) people frown upon duplicated topics and there’s always someone reminding you that the question has been asked before even tho it’s a completely different scenario. Well in php, javascript or sql related topics, I’m not sure about others.

I don’t mean to sound insolent…but…

1 Like

I agree with this btw. Like yeah a thread complaining about the unbalanced state of a spec that got nerfed 2 expansions ago is pretty useless to be talking about today. But if a problem or topic still exists and is fully relevant today you should be able to bump up a topic instead of cluttering the forums and thinning out the discussion so nobody can get all the info in the same place.

Context should be important. People whining just cause a topic is old is the most annoying thing on the forums.

2 Likes

The old thread would still be available. You could link to it or post a quote.

The problem with necros is that often someone searches on some phrase and comes up with an old thread that is totally out of date. They post a question basicaly unrelated to the original topic on page 10. Their question gets lost and is probably never answered, while people are responding to the now incorrect info in the original post from some years back, without having noticed the date the thread was started.

4 Likes

Tell me more.

We’ve had 11 month old threads necroed in this forum. 30 days is plenty.

1 Like

I just bookmarked it. I’m going to reply again in approx 3 months.

I’ve seen 10 year old necros in the old forums.

1 Like

:rofl: that’s hilarious. Sometimes necros are funny. But none-the-less if there’s restrictions, may as well add them.

…this is actually a problem, especially in places like support forums and the new player forum.

information becomes outdated extremely quickly… a thread from even a couple of weeks ago can contain information which is no longer relevant, resulting in confusion.
…and quite often when support issues are involved, people will post in threads complaining that the issue has been going on for weeks/months, even though the original issue was resolved, and they’re running into a new problem.

3 Likes

Lock the thread after 30 days have passed since the last response.

1 Like

Two possible scenarios I can see:

1. 30 days after the last reply.
  2. Extend expiration timer by an additional 30 days if its a hot topic (the ones in orange)
1 Like

I don’t mind a necro if it’s relevant or funny.

1 Like

We are more mature? :slight_smile: