10.2 - Guardians of the Dream

I don’t think Blizzard even has a position for “Writers” you got narrative lead, quest designers and lore experts (lol) but I have not seen a “Lead Writer” position
Writing is a secondary portion of the job

Well, that is because they do not have dedicated writers outside of quest writers, really. The rough draft of the A-plot story appears to normally be decided by democratic consensus across the developers. After that, the story is smoothed out into a final draft by Danuser as Narrative Director, and then it gets a third pass by Metzan now as Executive Creative Director.

What a terrible way to design a story.

Will say I liked their answer on the canonicity of player customizations, and that they corrected the interviewer’s bizarre assumption that blue-eyed blood elves must be an “error” on new NPCs. Any option open to the player should at least have some basis in the lore IMO.

Damn I love how they ask about Nights Elves AND Worgen being gone from Stormwind and the person just completely ignores the worgen.

Feels good. I love my race being so unimportant they are just relegated to being the Night Elves pets at best, or Stormwind’s boot lickers at worst.

3 Likes

I actually have a suspicion that we may see the reclaiming of Gilneas real soon, and if so that is 300% a thing they would want Metzen hyping up on stage at blinzcon. So, it make sense they would evade discussing anything to do with them right now.

3 Likes

What makes you think the reclamation of Gilneas is currently in the works?

PLEASE I would love this. I am trying to be optimistic and assume this is why the Gilneans are missing now in Stormwind.

But the realist in me is saying they just removed both Kaldorei and Worgen just because it’s easier and they have no intention of doing anything with them other than say they joined the Night Elves at the new world tree.

1 Like

Here’s the splash screen for the patch.

I haven’t paid much attention to the character, but why don’t people like Qonzu? It seems a lot of people either dislike the character or expect them to be a traitor.

Nvm, I read this thread. New Loa of change and moonkin. Q'onzu Am drunk.

Incidentally he refuses to help us as we plan to maintain Order in the Emerald Dream despite the Firelands bringing change if they win.

Of course he fails to realize that said change is going to kill him and the entire Cosmos outside the Fire-aligned denizens(which include Nah’qi who is an owl tied to change like Q’onzu but Fiery and tamable) due to the Emerald Dream being linked to the entire Cosmos which makes him comically suicidal in his ideals.

Incidentally while ensuring our Victory we kill Nymue who maintains Order in the Emerald Dream thus allowing change to happen anyways granting Q’onzu’s wish for change. He gets what he wants without doing anything to work for it.

At least Nah’qi knew to make him/herself fiery before slacking off in the Emerald Dream. Q’onzu doesn’t bother and thus risked his own demise due to Fyrakk potentially winning and using the World Tree to unleash Fire across the Dream into Reality! It’s hilarious how his laziness worked out!

… guys. The place you’re looking for is in the middle of northern kalimdor and defined their cultural identity for 10,000 years. It’s not hard.

Even beyond that and the Horde… the Fire Druids are an example of their cultural issues in response to traumas in history. And so far, pretty much nothing has meaningfully been done with them in the patch, that I can see… probably because one of the main people they’re supposed to contrast with got written out of the story so Ysera could come in and take priority over her daughter lmao

Hyperfixation on BfA loses is part of why NE lore sucks now. We’re spoon fed tragedy fetish material about how bad Teldrassil was and can’t get a single moment of reflection on their history and culture as a people or service to nature and personal sacrifice and commitment, or their connection to their real lands.

It’s nothing but crying about Teldrassil, even when the fantasy of the Night Elves makes it seem like sitting around crying about Teldrassil completely goes against their beliefs.

3 Likes

Isnt there some druids of the flame that will end up helping us? Maybe there will be some connection there.

I just find it funny regardless of situation the only people Night Elves are allowed to fight against are themselves.

2 Likes

Nor does it even really make that much sense for the Fire Druids to have been succesfully recruiting because Fandral’s beliefs are what caused them all to be centralized on that tree and vulnerable anyways, while making a rift between them and nature… if anything Teldrassil should’ve made people leave it, because his way screwed their people in the end.

But maybe the fire druids being Fandral’s students was actually just the biased perspective of Ragnaros or something…

1 Like

I still think the druids of the flame should have been replaced by the Horde.

No not the current Horde but apparitions, the seed is full of Night Elf souls who got burned by the Horde. We are in the emerald dream, dreams can become nightmares, there is enough plausibility for the primalists to tap into that and bolster their forces by using that dark history to their benefit within the dream.

So we get a second chance at defending it against those who probably matter more than some fringe druid group we already dismantled.

https://i.gyazo.com/e6c72ab92644beb14f77940871a9c9c9.gif

I have found the most important part of this entire patch. Look at it.

5 Likes

Must be protected at all costs.

3 Likes

To anyone who might be testing the new patch on PTR, is there any lore given to who the Primalists are? Like where they come from or how they’ve been recruiting? It feels like this expansion is drawing to a close and we still don’t know who these guys are.

Blizzard could easily just say they were a radical sect of Earthen Ring shaman or something, but so far we know jacksquat.

1 Like

A Crown of Flame the Guardians of the Dream In-Game Cinematic just dropped.

2 Likes