New PTR is Now Available -- Version 1.32.10 Patch Notes Here

I said it in the PTR topic but I’ll say it here to increase the chance that they’ll see it:

Are they ever going to stop reducing the number of upgrades and tech requirements? Or making unorthodox changes like the Great Hall giving 11 food, giving Gargoyles an ability to automatically focus on attacking air, or turning the Orb of Fire into an anti-healing item?

They aren’t just tweaking things, they’re completely changing the game and potentially creating a need for more such changes. It keeps making the game more and more distorted from what it used to be and eventually may be hardly recognizable. Between how the Starcraft remaster is largely faithful to the original and how the Diablo 2 remaster is aiming to do the same, you’d think they’d have learned by now what makes a successful remaster, but it seems they haven’t.

Are you really using covid as an excuse for still not having basic features such as ladder, clans & profiles?
I haven’t missed a day of work, what have you guys been doing?

9 Likes

Give Humans the buff they’re really been waiting for… New and improved footprints for mechanical critters!

3 Likes

The lumber upgrades for HU are too much of a buff. As Grubby points out, when Hu fast expand, the only thing stopping them from achieving their strongest army is lumber because they basically have unlimited gold.

However, it’s incredibly difficult for human to get past the early game due to the vulnerability of peasants. The solution here isn’t to buff resource gathering, casters, or towers; but the peasants themselves. Give peasants +1 armor (The same that Undead Acolytes have), or give militia a buff of about +10hp. Perhaps even increase the movement speed and HP regeneration of militia slightly so that they can escape from ranged attacks easier.

(Make Cannon towers useful somehow. This is by far the most underused building across all races. It’s never used in 1v1 professional matches, and hardly ever used in 4v4’s. They’re expensive, the AOE they do harms friendly units ((see chimera patch removing friendly fire)), and the damage they put out isn’t worth the cost and time to upgrade one.)

Secondly, every race has difficulty toppling Mountain Giants. They are by far the most broken unit in the game, despite being so expensive. Nerfing this one unit balances each race respectively. Taunt’s anti-micro capability is infuriating; Staff of preservation allows low health MG’s to be teleported safely to moonwells and to be brought back up to full HP. For 350 gold, and 100 wood With 1600 health, 35-70dmg, and 10 armor fully upgraded, these monstrosities are nearly impossible to be taken down.

When UD build a boneyard at t3, everybody knows the one unit that can be created from that building. For 385 gold and 120 wood, you can have a frost wyrm. When Orc build Tauren totems and they’re at t3, everyone knows to expect Tauren at 280 gold and 80 wood. When Human build a Gryphon Avery at t3, Gryphons are on the way with the cost of 280 gold and 70 wood . NE builds an Ancient of Lore at tier 2… they’re given access to their most powerful unit. Consider upping the requirements of MG’s to have tier 3 exclusively; re-work or remove Taunt and replaced with some other ability.

These changes are being done to keep the game fresh. After 18 years, the game needs changed to keep people playing.

1 Like

HI,
WHEN IS THE LADDER AND THE CLANS COMING BACK ?
Stop making useless updates.
WE NEED A CLEAR ANSWER NOW ITS BEEN TOO LONG !
YOU GUYS MANAGED TO MAKE A RECESSION OF AN OLD GAME.

4 Likes

wondering why chess is still the same after hundreds of years…
oh wait, cause it works…

3 Likes

Guess you haven’t played 3D chess or auto chess?

Another great example are sports. The rules are constantly changing to keep up with the evolution of the sport. If you don’t evolve you get left behind

Before this patch:
ToD gets clapped by Happy

After this patch:
ToD with his deep sensual voice: “Finally, it is I that will be doing the clapping”

1 Like

Can you still play chess? yes.
Can you still play WC3? no.

but if you want to keep your misleading examples go on…

Probably some ±1 changes were needed, if well thought of course, by the original team that made WC3. Not this random messing around just to fake they are still working on it… and then disgustingly blame coronavirus for something that should have been done BEFORE 2020.

3 Likes

First of all game balance doesn’t need to change this much (or even at all) to stay fresh or keep a community. There is almost always a remaining community that stays with an online Blizzard game, and new/updated user-created maps or mods practically ensure that there is fresh content on a regular basis. Starcraft Remastered game balance was not changed this much, or at all in fact. I doubt Diablo 2 Remastered will have balance changes this drastic either if any, and that’s despite them wanting to keep the original Diablo 2 playable. Looks like they aren’t planning any at the moment: xhttps://gamerant.com/diablo-2-resurrected-no-planned-balance-changes/ World of Warcraft Classic didn’t get balance changes either (or not much at least), and look how popular that was despite it not even being a new game. Guess the one game out of all these that got the worst reception by a long shot so far? Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Second, you can do balance changes without the core changes they’re doing. Unit/upgrade/spell/item stats such as health, damage, cost and cooldown can be tweaked to address balance, without changing more core aspects of the game like the main features of an ability, what abilities a unit or item has, number of upgrades and tech tree requirements. I mentioned the 11 food provided by a Great Hall change because, despite just being a supply value change, it’s completely unorthodox. Every race’s town hall had always given 10 food, orc included. That was a defining aspect of Warcraft 3. But then some new developers takeover and decided they want it to give 11 food, and while leaving the others at 10 food.

Third, it might be different if Blizzard still supported the original Warcraft 3 with battle.net, before all the Reforged balanced changes (including any after version 1.26 when the Classic Team took over). But they don’t, and they actually auto-updated most people with a recent version of the game to Reforged. You can’t even play RoC ladder anymore either (or custom games with the RoC ruleset unless all the rules are changed to match it). Reforged’s battle.net and melee games are all under the TFT ruleset.

1 Like

Not touching my copy I got on pre-order until you remaster the cutscenes like you said you would. Tell that to the new team. Better yet, tell marketing, you toadie.

2 Likes

Let’s go! Weeee!

Yes to all this.

My other thoughts :

NE seems to be struggling a bit in tournaments.

In pro play actually orc seems strong against NE recently after matchup was pretty lopsided for NE for over 2 years. I would nerf serpant ward damage just a little. Nothing on level 1, but a little for level 2 and level 3. Very little here like 1-2 damage level 2, maybe 3 damage level 3.

The main thing though is while MGs should be nerfed but I’d revert wisp detonate change from last patch. I realize this could potentially make orc vs NE swing hard back to NE, so I would compensate by buffing mana of Shamans. With Shadow orc can at least get mana pots and clarity potions but it gets really rough when their shamans run out of mana for purges. But NE could use the revert to detonate for HU and UD matchups.

I’m excited about the item sell change . It’s kind of a buff to blademaster meta. Hoping this and frost armor nerf will bring back Blademaster 1st against UD, which has gone away with the mere threat of Crypt Lord fast expand. Far Seer doesn’t cut it in the late game.

I was not expecting a patch. I thought Blizzard had abandoned WC3R entirely and pretended it never happened.

2 Likes

Couple of things:

1. We are still lacking BASIC features that The Frozen Throne had but were, for whatever reason, not migrated over. Focus on that FIRST. What are you doing screwing around with balance changes when we still don’t have legit player profiles, inline friends list commands usable from chat channels, tournaments (which, it sounds like, Blizzard isn’t keen to bring back), clans, fixing the awful menu interface that runs on Chromium and has overlapping windows with no border padding like someone who is just learning html for the first time, and the list goes on.

2. Why…do…you…keep…simplifying…the…game…? Stop removing tech requirements and making it faster and easier to get to high tech research and units. Stahp it. Things like Tauren and Knights were Tier 3 for a reason. Games often did not get to those units because of smaller map sizes, those units are most often seen on large maps or in extended play or, atypically, matches where both players decided to fast tech and forego harassment.

STOP messing with the flow of the game. This isn’t Baseball, you don’t need to speed up the pace of play.

2 Likes

Blizzard please remove unitshare as a change to balance team games for Arranged Teams vs Random Teams.

Except they did, by definition. The cutscenes were created using the uprezed assets.

What they didn’t do was recon them, which they flat out said they were not going to do back before release.

Not even a minor improvement for disconnects and desyncs still.

5 Likes

This some sounds like something I would type nearly word for word. Almost thought that I might have at some point. I’ll add that even in major sports like Baseball or Football, the rules are not changed so much so quickly. There might be a few minor rule changes per year if that, and often they are done for safety reasons rather than competitive reasons. Either way the core game or at least most of it stays the same and the “unit stats” depend on the skill of the players.

It’s not like the scoring values, number of players on the field, number of innings/periods, number of allowed strikes/balls//outs/downs, or who can wield a bat or ball is frequently getting changed. Sometimes more penalties get added, their punishments get increased/decreased, or they get broader/narrower, but only one or a few per year if any. But penalties are for rule violations usually for safety or unsportsmanlike reasons. That’s not what unit balance changes in video games are for.

It’s probably because it’s easier and faster for them to change unit balance than it is for them to (re) add features, and maybe because for the people that do unit balance, it’s not their job to do that stuff. But yes it shouldn’t take this long to restore features that were already there. They should never have disappeared in the first place. If you want to upgrade them, you still keep the old ones in place until the new ones are ready. Just like you don’t rip out water pipes without having other pipes ready to replace them (assuming you still want working water there). It’s not rocket science.

1 Like