FPS drops after latest patch

Few patches ago, FPS tanked for majority of the player-base I went from 350 to 130 with random spikes. This was fixed with an eventual hotfix patch.

I do not know why certain patches create this issue but I’m just going to post this here to let whoever needs to know that there is a problem that’d be greatly appreciated if fixed.

AMD Ryzen 7700x 32GB RAM CL28 DDR5 4070ti

4 Likes

Proof video on all versions of 1.36 low fps - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

Check the mengyi video to see if it’s your problem

Yeah, same. It was terrible before the patch because they didn’t completely fixed fps drop after 1.35, I still occasionally had spikes and all but rebooting usually helped. Now I’m having 70-90 fps with horrible spikes that makes the game PP presentation. Idk how you guys keep doing that. If anything I hoped you would fix the previous fps issues. But it’s getting worse apparently. Pls do hotfix this

Can confirm. Unfortunately the latest patch made the game unplayable during intense moments with lots of units.

My spec is AMD Ryzen 7, playing with the iGPU. It used to run more than fine before the patch. I did notice in Task manager that only 25% CPU is used.

Here’s an example with Legion TD. My settings are lowest, 720p res

Warcraft 3 Patch Performance Issues - YouTube

1 Like

There was a moment in time (before the last PTR patch before its release) where I saw performance improve, but with its release, that improvement has evaporated. While I maintain that this isn’t anywhere near the big deal certain people are making it out to be, particularly for normal gameplay and custom games that don’t try to push the game’s limits, it is still pretty sad that they managed to both fix and unfix the performance within the same freaking patch.

You’ve still got work to do Bliz, get it done plz.

Excuse me, these are decade old maps that used to be playable on hardware in the same era. It takes significant (negative) effort to be where we are now. The minimum one could ask for is proper quality assurance - or simply not touch it or rather maintain it, like we do with old buildings

1 Like

Dang, the issue is taking so long that even the legendary CaptainJack is starting to ask Blizzard to do something about it.

That’s irrelevant, if they pushed what the game was designed to handle, the game still isn’t going to handle them well, better hardware is no guarantee of improvement when it’s engine limitations.

So that seems to be the problem, you think becuase the game is old that things that the game was never designed to do should work perfectly even though they didn’t back then?

They didn’t revamp the game engine, they simply slapped new art assets and a new menu UI over the old game, and then broke some things because why not.

I mean, i never said there was nothing wrong, nor did I ever say I didn’t want it to be fixed. I’ve only ever taken issue with how this issue has been misconstrued by the playerbase to be more than it is, primarily because everyone’s apparently expecting their custom games that spawn a million units to run at 500fps purely because the game came out 20 years ago.

Performance is still worse than several patches ago and it still should be fixed, but these misrepresentations aren’t going to make it happen sooner.

Well if it aint broken don’t fix it. For me it went to playable to unplayable literally overnight on a modern system after a hotfix. I guess in attempt to address the stuttering, things got worse, to literal 0 fps as shown in my video. And yeah that used to be fine on CPUs with a quarter of single core bench a decade ago.

There seems to be issues specific for AMD CPUs as addressed here by customer support Low fps in WarCraft III: Reforged - #8 by Zuvykree

1 Like

Those issues are NOT specific to AMD CPUs. There have been reports from Intel chip users experiencing the same performance losses. This is another misrepresentation, and could actually hurt the chances of it being addressed because it will have QA people barking up the wrong tree. The performance problems began at the same time for everyone. As far as I can tell this came about because AMD systems are often (but not always) the cheaper option and thus the performance difference is more likely to be noticable- but again, users of CPUs from both companies have reported performance issues and is misrepresentation to say it is only an “AMD issue.”

This is an optimization issue caused by some changes made to the game several patches ago. It is NOT a hardware issue.

That’d be the official message so far, I give that weight. Even though it bugs me that patches got through QA, I have confidence they (developers) have the proper tools to profile it. Some randoms on a forum shouldn’t make a difference

I can only deduce that some scheduling is broken or bottlenecked. My system fans used to be audible during high load in-game, it no longer does that, so it’s definitely not using the resources. What puts AMD apart from Intel is the ridiculous core count while being affordable - I can see that being relevant, although they boost to high clocks in my case

If you’re referring to the blue post a while back, they’re just echoing the numerous people insisting it’s an “AMD issue” despite the fact that, again, users of Intel CPUs have also reported the degraded performance. People comlpained about an “AMD issue,” and so the Blizzard guy who doesn’t work on the game says “we’re investigating reports of an AMD issue.” (paraphrasing)

Comparing the differences between programs 1.35 and 1.36 is quite simple

It’s not simple now if you don’t have a time machine. Also, we’re on 1.36.1 now so a different version than most people who have posted their info on.

Yet another fps tanking update I go from 60 to 2 fps

2 Likes

sounds like a you problem. My FPS isn’t any better than the last patch (i.e. still less than it used to be multiple patches ago) but it isn’t any worse either.

lol,LTF player

to play the devils advocate, true.

underlying APIs, drivers. lots of moving components. the complexity versus the retail version (the initial one that you had to buy in a store) and the current one has increased without doubt. Meme APIs that increase (modern) hardware support that are abstract, where the developer lose track of what actually happens.

In the end its stupid for a classic game where gameplay > graphics. If it were my game I would drop a sh*t ton of bling bling and focus on a stable framerate. I’d also open source to the extent possible like other classic games so it continues to live on with the love it deserves.

It boils down to that management needs to allocate time for developers and setup a proper quality assurance.

I’m just irritated at the constant moaning about all this. Yes, it’s an old game. But because it wasn’t really designed to use modern technologies (even with the Reforged graphics, it barely utilizes the DX12 API as evidenced by the low GPU usage), maps that were demanding back then are still demanding now. Should they have done more to bring the game into the modern era besides add higher poly models? Absolutely. Did the game perform better several patches ago? Definitely. Is it still playable now? For most of us, yes.

But it looks like unless Microsoft decides to revisit the Blizzard back catalog (they’ve indicated they may at some point), nothing major is going to happen in terms of re-optimizing the game, as it definitely seems like an optimization issue, where they made changes at some point without thoroughly testing their performance impact (which is why many may play regular games with little or no issue even if some popular custom games become difficult to play).

Don’t get me wrong, something absolutely needs to change, I’m admittedly just tired of hearing all the complaints, many of which are peppered with misinformation (i.e. that it’s caused by some issue with AMD hardware, with some people going so far as to say not buy their products despite the fact that it’s a problem with the game, not their CPU). But it’s mainily the people complaining about getting 300FPS instead of 400 and stuff like that. 300Hz monitors don’t even exist so theres no way people could see that difference. But I do sympathize with the people who are actually having difficulty playing (as opposed to the people complaining about differences with little meaning).

It’s just gotten to the point where I think that even if they take some kind of action to improve the performance, people are still going to complain because they already complain about FPS that’s higher than any monitor you can buy in a store can display.

A miracle wizard could wave a magic wand and fix all these problems today and I’m willing to bet the rage will continue.