Pardon My Ignorance - StarEdit

Hi there,

It seems StarEdit isn’t supported any more and I can see that. However, most of the maps I used to make were fairly simple, only needing StarEdit and minor touchups with Emerald. I’ve never used scmdraft before - is there still an unsupported version of the original StarEdit available? Is StarEdit Emerald to be found anywhere? Or is SCMDraft the only option now?

Thank you!

9-13-2021 at 2:21 PM - PDT

As mentioned NUMEROUS times in other Threads, StarEdit was Deprecated by Blizzard. They will NO LONGER support that Editor. There is a SEPARATE, MANUAL way to continue to DL StarEdit, with the knowledge that at some point in the near future that some SC:R Update MAY BREAK StarEdit permanently.

With that said, SCMDraft 2 by Sinsanity IS SUPPORTED by Blizzard as the NEW Official Map Editor of SC:R. For continued support in SC:R it is BEST to use SCMDraft 2 by Sinsanity.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

I’ve never heard of ‘Emerald’. If this was 3rd party, (OUTSIDE of Blizzard), it MOST LIKELY WON’T function in SC:R. So, again, it is BEST to learn and use SCMDraft 2 as it is supported by Blizzard and noted as the NEW Official Map Editor for SC:R.

TimeLord04

Hey Gidoza,

Here is the last supported version of StarEdit.

[@Leviathan,]

Thank you for that Link to the last StarEdit DL location. I can never find such things when I really need them.

Between the Link and my info on SCMDraft 2, Gidoza should be well in hand, now for whichever way he decides to go.

TimeLord04

1 Like

Hi!
Try this Emerald Editor link

https://gamebanana.com/tools/3206

Also, what’s your reason to not use SCMDraft 2? I was a little overwhelmed at first, but then I found it was all cool

I had never used SCMDraft before, and moreover I had always used a MacIntosh until recently - to my knowledge SCMDraft never worked on Mac computers so I just made the most of limited resources.

I’m poking through SCMDraft now and…it’s a stupid question but…how do you just MOVE an already-placed unit on the map? I can select it, but trying to drag it to another location doesn’t seem to do anything.

Looks like a perfectly functional editor and I’m OK with it now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry for the late response, I don’t visit this forum too much.
Select the units you want to move and press Shift+arrow or Ctrl+arrow, depending on how fast you want to move the units

1 Like

Thanks!

I also have another question about SCMDraft - what exactly do players 9, 10, and 11 do? I get Player 12 who is the “Neutral” player when a person leaves a game, but how is it different from the others?

They do nothing. You can place units for those players, but they have 0 sight range, so they won’t attack. They can’t run an AI, so they can’t gather minerals or build stuff. They can’t be rescued, either. You can’t create units for said players, only transfer. They are enemy to every Human and Computer player, unless you make Human or Computer players treat them as Ally.
I personally use them when I need more colors for neutral units or buildings. For example, say you want to modify Enslavers 03a. Player 06 only has the temple. Maybe you give that player to Player 09 and now you have Player 06 free to do other stuff.