ScmDraft 2 - Alternative starcraft map editor

Hey, I kinda have some problems with SCMdraft 2, bc in the last week, when I try to open the editor (or launch it), it gives me two errors, one saying that the launcher may not function (or stars), and the otther saying things I cannot understand (english’s not my first lenguaje), what should I do?

2 Likes

Facing the same thing:

12:32:41.0300 - Error::Brood War addon not detected. SCMdraft 2 may not function (or even start) properly. Use at your own risk.

And then:

12:33:58.0860 - Error::nable to initialize scmdraft’s game engine! (hr = 0x80070002) Launch with the -console command line for detailed error info.

yeah, same here exactly, (they) broke everything (once) again :frowning:
can’t edit my maps (once) again with the current client version, gotta LF an old one now :frowning:

edit: updating to \ on Asia region indeed fixes everything up

There are 2 solutions in this post I made, including what Vaikesh just said above:

I have asked Blizzard to restore the deleted files. Cross your fingers!

I think they work like a dummy/temp player that you can use theoretically/virtually to temporarily give him units and actions like that, but I’m not sure.

Hi I have a question about fog of war - I want to disable it so I see all the map

I use diable fog–>all players but it doesn’t work.

Maybe I should use Use Map Settings?
But then I have no other players available

P.S

When I use UMS it still works as typical game, it does not react for all other changes, f.e. all units I place do not work
But it reacts for triggers, f.e. I set more start ore and it works.
But I can’t place any units it always gives hatchery/nexus/command center and workers

All of my protection programs, anti virus, etc are blocking the website, saying that it’s dangerously unsafe to proceed.

Apparently now it’s being seen as a trojan virus.

I hope this is still useful. You need to set the race of every player and uncheck Randomize Start Location

Hello, I’ve looked in this forum and all over the internet for several hours over the Christmas weekend (Single guy with no kids) and can’t find an answer to this quandary.

Within SCMDraft 2: I set up for one human and 7 computer players in scmdraft as well as placed locations for all 8 players. I put the human player in force one and the computer players in force 2. Both forces are checkmarked for Allied, Shared Vision, Randomized Start Location and Allied Victory. Player one is set as human and players 2-8 as computer. Each one is set for the race to be “User select.”

But when I go into the game and try to launch this custom scenario in Brood War it shows that I don’t have any player slots/dropdowns set up for the map. When I try to start the map as Map settings I get told “The map does not have a slot for a human participant.” When I try to start the map as Melee or Free For All I get told “You must have at least one computer opponent.”

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Can you try not check mark Random Start Location? If that doesn’t work you can send me the map so I can take a look

1 Like

I appreciate the offer Lalo. I am thinking maybe I have found a fix? I went in and opened up, in SCMDraft 2, one of the maps that is preinstalled. It is set up for human vs 7 computer players. I saved it as my own map. When I saved it, a message came up saying that I wouldn’t be able to play it on battle.net (which i don’t care about at this time). I went into Starcraft BW and tried to play it and it definitely worked. It was me vs 7 computer enemies.

But I went back into what I had saved and it was set up for all of the players being human. All of them being in one force. And the only thing that was checked was randomized start location. I don’t know what to think about that because, as I said above, the game loads as me vs 7 computer players. And there are clearly two different forces with allied victory and shared vision.

Whatever the case, it looks like I can just go from here and create new maps off of this map, or make copies of other premade maps. Leave the settings alone and just add/change the terrain, resources, resource positions, start locations…etc…

3 Likes

That’s still a weird bug but glad you have found a workaround. Maybe you could try opening SCMDraft as Administrator and save your map again, after you have set again the players and forces

2 Likes

Hello, Is it okay to translate SCMDRAFT2 into Korean?

I keep getting the error “This map does not have slots for human players” even though it explicitly does have 6+ players set to human, 1 set to computer, 1 to neutral.

I have tried every combination of “allied victory”, “shared vision”, “random start location” and made sure start locations were placed on the map.

Literally nothing stops this error. It’s coming up on all the maps. This is super disappointing. I was really hoping to use the map editor for SC Remastered. Without the map editor its a huge waste of money and now I feel like I’ve been duped by Blizzard (yet again). I know SCM Draft2 isn’t official but I hate that Blizzard doesn’t support an editor anymore. It’s THE most fun thing about the game.

1 Like

Is there somewhere we can support the creator of the editor? Every time a bug gets fixed or question actually gets answered, I want to help support them.

1 Like

Encountered a pretty annoying editor bug or engine limitation years ago which resulted in me scrapping a reasonably developed project. The “Center View” trigger would completely break if a certain amount of total triggers were used, I could replicate this error on command and surely enough removing a set amount of triggers would leave it working again, which ever trigger was removed would not change the result. There were no misuses of "Wait"s etc., which I was told could have caused the problem, since I’ve only ever used hypertriggers.

Fast forward 5 years later and I start something new, I encounter another problem with switches behaving differently when copy and pasted between maps, with ONLY the switches being present using identical triggers.

Example:

Two maps using IDENTICAL switches (“switch 1” , “switch 2” and “switch 3”) and triggers (Player walks onto a beacon, and purchases a marine and the current switch active decides the amount of minerals subtracted)

Map 1:
Player with 1000 Minerals walks onto a beacon and purchases a marine, switch 1 which was set by default, is cleared and switch 2 is set, 100 minerals are subtracted.
Player then has 900 Minerals left, produces another marine while switch 2 is set which is then cleared and switch 3 is set, 500 minerals are subtracted.

I copy and paste this into a map with NO triggers at all, literally zero, the result:

Map 2:
Player with 1000 Minerals walks onto a beacon and purchases a marine, 600 Minerals are taken instantly meaning all switches were parsed instantly.

I guess it’s a technical issue I don’t understand, which is annoying. I had some pretty big projects going for BroodWar but I’m really tempted to go back to Source, it’s just too frustrating.

Anyone had something similar happen?

can you even drag units/assets once selected in the editor??? you can in staredit but scmdraft2 doesnt seems to let me …

Hello Guys,
One simple question: How do I lock a map on SCM Draft 2 so that no one can edit it or open it? I have searched everywhere and unable to find how to lock a map (that is after creating a map).

Hi!

I don’t think that You can do it by using the SCM Draft 2 editor, but there is a nice and working program called ProEdit 4.0 that can still protect maps from opening. You can’t open once protected map even by using the SCM Draft 2, and probably any other known editor, but I didn’t tested this aspect. If You’ll not find this program on the Internet, write again and I’ll send it to You somehow :slight_smile:

By using the ProEdit 4.0 remember to make the file extension manually “.scx” because it saves the protected maps in “.scm” format by default.