[Main Thread] Mac OS - Can't Connect to Battle.net & other issues after 1.23.5 update

I’m re-posting this from the “Classic” forum at the request of Customer Support. The original thread is here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/no-battlenet-in-starcraft/10053. I will summarize.

After updating Starcraft (not Remastered) on July 1, 2020, I was no longer able to access Battle.net, and a number of other issues cause the game to crash:

1. When clicking “Multiplayer”, on the screen to choose network, Battle.net is not selectable (no servers listed), and LAN goes nowhere after selecting it.
  2. Several choices in the Main menu screen (Options, HotKeys, etc.) lock the game up.
  3. Singleplayer seems OK.

These issues are pretty much identical to what was experienced here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/starcraft/t/cannot-open-settings-battle-net-cannot-play-lan-games/713

I have deleted/reinstalled both the Battle.net app and Starcraft three times, but without any success.

I am running on a MacMini 2010, macOS 10.13.6 (HIgh Sierra). I have no anti-virus or firewall running (mentioned because these seemed to be implicated in another thread of similar issues. See: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/starcraft/t/starcraft-options-softlock-and-battlenet-greyed-out-solved/1544.

The game worked fine as recently as June 28, 2020. That day, the latest update downloaded, and I played a game with friends without issue. On July 1, the next time I went to play, is when the issues began.

Starcraft 2 seems to not have any issues regarding access to Battle.net.

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same issues. Last played on June 27 with no problem. Tried playing yesterday (July 3) after downloading the patch and have all the same issues goldcamj mentioned above. Have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both battle.net and starcraft and nothing changed. Tried again today (July 4) and still experiencing the same issues. I’m running on MacBook Pro macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, no anti-virus or firewall running.

1 Like

Hey there you two!

Thanks for making the thread as requested goldcamj. I’m curious if anybody here who is having this issue has the ability to update to a more recent version of Mac OS than 10.13.6. If you can, does it fix the issue? I’ve updated the thread title to see if we can get more reports.

Exactly the same problems as goldcamj with Mac OS 10.13.6
Can’t update to a more recent version of MacOS, since hardware limitations.
Using Starcraft remastered
How can we return the game before the patch? Is it posible so we can continue to play?

2 Likes

I’m stuck at High SIerra…newer macOS isn’t officially supported by Apple on my older Macmini. I did install the game on my brand new MS Surface Pro 7 just to see what would happen…seems to work fine.

It seems a bit curious that the older threads (that I linked to) had identical issues with some Windows/PC. Maybe different root cause. It was interesting that when some disabled anti-virus or firewall that the issue was fixed. Something seems to be blocking the connection to server (maybe?).

At least your game is opening and functioning. My game gets frozen and unresponsive on the title screen when I open it. No idea why, and how I can even fix this…

2 Likes

Has anyone found a fix for this? :confused: can’t play at all.

For those of you who haven’t replied with your mac OS version, we need to know the following:

• Mac OS Version:
  • Mac Model:

You can view this information in your system information report if you don’t know. Please reply with this information so that we can look for more options.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2307)
Not working at all. It freeze as soon as I start the game

experiencing all the same issues mentioned above

Imac 21.5inch mid 2010
3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Edit: Sometimes I can connect to the Battle.net Server screen but only by restarting SC numerous times and not doing anything different. Usually it doesn’t work though.

Hello impossible to play online since last update…
Macbook Pro 2011
OS High Sierra 10.13.6
cant update this apple version too…

Mac OSX: 10.13.6 High Sierra
Mac Model:
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Mac OSX: 10.10.5 Yosemite
Mac Model:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2,5GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I have solved the OP’s described issues on my system…

ALSO NOTE: If Starcraft client will not launch after pressing “Play” button in the Battle.net launching app, ensure that in the Starcraft settings accessed within the Battle.net app you have deselected “Launch 32-bit client” option. As far as I can tell the 32-bit client has been completely removed as of the latest patch.

I have experienced the exact same issues as described by OP - I was actually experiencing these issues BEFORE this patch, but this latest patch has forced me off the 32-bit client and onto the 64-bit client with the result that the issues resurfaced. I was able to resolve the issues by deactivating certain open source utilities:

• “Hammerspoon” (This was necessary when I was using the 32-bit client, I don’t know if it was my personal configuration or the app itself I didn’t investigate beyond terminating Hammerspoon processes)
  • “yabai” (This was not an issue with the 32-bit client, only the 64-bit client. Again, I don’t know if it was my personal configuration or the app itself. In order to disable yabai installation sourced via Homebrew, run the following at the command line: “brew services stop yabai”)

Hammerspoon is a mulitfaceted utility to allow advanced customisation, and yabai is a window tiling manager - the most relevant and basic common link I can suggest is that they are both system-wide utilities that manipulate the OS at a fairly low level (similarly to antivirus/firewall software, although I am able to run my macOS firewall without issue).

System Info FWIW:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103) (Running newer OS than my hardware officially supports using “macOS Patcher” created by “dosdude1”)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

PS

• Restart yabai installed via Homebrew with “brew services start yabai” at command line.

I’m having issues (as are 2 of my friends) and I’m on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. I won’t upgrade to Catalina because then my Adobe CS 6 software won’t run. I try to launch Starcraft Remastered and it won’t launch at all.

UPDATE: When I switched to 64 bit in the options it seemed to launch correctly, even though Mojave is a 32bit OS.

Hello !
Impossible to play online since last update…

macOS High Sierra
Version 10.13.6
iMac 27’ (2010)
2,8 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB

1 Like

After 1.23.5 update my StarCraft Inhanced crashes my Mac on launch. I have reinstalled it no improvement.
My system is a LAte 2014 iMac 5K
3.5 Ghx Intel i5
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Error: No available formula with the name “yabai”
:frowning:

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Not working since the last update! :frowning: Same issue as OP

My yabai installation was part of the issue in my personal case, it was causing me problems when it was enabled - I’m definitely not adovcating installing yabai as a solution to the issues described by OP, quite the opposite.

What I am suggesting is that auxillary utilities that are designed to provide functionality system-wide, such as yabai and hammerspoon, may be causing these symptoms for some people.

Have you tried disabling your firewall/antivirus software? I’m getting the impression that quite a few people are fixing this issue by doing so.

Good luck!