Cannot open settings, battle.net, cannot play LAN games

Hello.
I have bought Starcraft Remastered when it came and I’m playing it without any issues.
However, I decided to reinstall my Windows - It is Windows 7 Ultimate, the same as the previous one
After reinstall, I installed the Blizzard Battle Net application and reinstalled Starcraft - in new location on a new disk.
After installing and starting it, the game starts normally, it recognizes my Battle net account, I can switch between old and remastered graphics (with f5).
However, I have the following issues:

1. The top right panel has nothing in it. Only the panel frame. Otherwise, it shows some information
  2. When clicking any of the bottom right menu items (options, hotkeys, credits …), the only thing that happens is that the screen gets darker and the game does not respond to clicks or keys. The only thing I can do is close it with alt+f4
  3. When entering multiplayer:
    -when Battle net is chosen, there are no gateways and the OK buttons is grayed out
    -when LAN is chosen, there are no LAN options to be selected, only the OK and cancel buttons are active
  4. When creating a LAN game, after selecting the map and game mode and pressing OK, the lobby screen appears, but all fields are empty - i see only the panels frames
  5. When joining a LAN game, again, the lobby screen appears but all fields are empty - i see only the panels frames

Single Player has no issues, or at least I have not found any

One interesting experiment:
When I go to game options in the battle net app and choose "launch 32-bit client, all the issues are gone.
When I switch to 64-bit client, the issues appear again

As I have read about similar issues, people say to turn Antivirus and Firewall off. However, I have no antivirus or Firewall - it is a clean Windows 7 installation.
I have disabled Windows Defender and Windows firewall, but it did not help.

I am able to boot in the older Windows 7 installation. It is installed on a separate hard drive and the starcraft there is on a separate hard drive too.
How can I run 64-bit Starcraft Remastered on my new Windows installation?
I cound not find any log files in Starcraft folder, which will give some information about the reason for the issue.

Have this exact same issue on Windows 10. Running on 32 didn’t help though.

Any admins provide input or are aware of this?

bump

has nobody else experienced this? :frowning:

1 Like

Update:

I was able to resolve it by unistalling my old Razer Synapse app and installing the Beta version that they currently have. This allowed me to use the options without the freeze as well as go on Battlenet. Very odd root-cause but oddly enough, it works now.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates and reports, bpex! That is an odd issue. We have not seen issues with SC:R, though we have seen older versions of Razer cause issues with some of our other games.

Nuclear, would you happen to have Razer Synapse as well?

1 Like

Hello, and thank you for the reply.

I will provide some more information.

I don’t have Razer Synapse. I have a clean windows 7 install and the only applications installed are the NVIDIA Driver, Firefox Browser and some games.

I saw the running processed and noticed the following:

When I start the 32-bit Starcraft (the working situation), it starts a process “SceneCefBrowser.exe”. If I kill this process, the top right panel goes blank. If I enter Multiplayer, the game starts “SceneCefBrowser.exe” again and everything works.

As I understand, this process is responsible for all sections with dynamic content.

However, when I start 64-bit starcraft, there is no longer a “SceneCefBrowser.exe” process. It looks like Starcraft failed to start it for some reason.

Starcraft has two folders with executables: x86 and x86_64. As I understand, they are used for the 32-bit and 64-bit startup.

I made another experiment: Each folder has a cef subfolder, which contains the SceneCefBrowser.exe.
When I copy the cef folder from x86 in x86_64, I am able to run the 64-bit starcraft with SceneCefBrowser running. As I see, what happens is that 64-bit starcraft starts 32-bit SceneCefBrowser.exe, which seems to work.

This is only an experiment, not a working solution, because after restart, Battle net properly detects that the game needs repair (because of the moved cef folder) and repairs it before starting (to the variant, that does not work with 64-bit version)

This means, that there is trouble starting the 64-bit SceneCefBrowser, but there is no trouble, starting the 32-bit one. However, I cannot determine what is causing it to not start. There is a log directory which is empty (for the 64-bit version) and I cannot start it manually from SceneCefBrowser.exe - on both 32-bit and 64-bit version, maybe because it is not intended to be started this way. Any error / log message, or something to tell what is wrong, would be helpful.

It is possible that something (64-bit) that I installed has messed up a dll, that SceneCefBrowser depends on. I will try to investigate the 10 apps that I have installed.

====

OK, I thing I found the reason. I compared the current Windows 7 installation with the old one that I have (where the 64-bit SC works) and found that it has Service Pack 1, but the new one does not have it, maybe I used an older image. Installed SP1 and Starcraft now works.

Been trying everything for 2 hours and this post finally saved me. I closed razer and it worked instantly. Thank you so much! Now to reinstall starcraft 2 again :frowning:

I have to bump this again as I am having this exact issue only;

• Fully updated Windows 10.
  • The 32 Bit Version / Kill the SceneCefBrowser.exe process band-aid fix doesn’t work.
  • I do not have Razer Synapse.

I’ve found compatibility changes don’t impact the client at all.
I’ve checked video drivers.
Tried Reinstalling / repairing the game.

The one thing I do notice is that the SceneCefBrowser.exe doesn’t load for the 64 bit as above however as above, the kill process or file copy bandaid fixes aren’t working for me either.

Open to any and all suggestions.

I am having the exact same issue in regular Starcraft (not-remastered) after the update to ver 1.23.5.8560. Here is my post : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/no-battlenet-in-starcraft/10053

I am running on macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) on a 2010 MacMini (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M). The game was working fine, even on the same day immediately after the last update, but then a few days later the exact same issues as described in the original post above showed up. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling both Battle.net app and Starcraft 3 times, but it doesn’t fix the issue.

Starcraft 2 seems to be able to find the battle.net game lobbies fine, for whatever that is worth.

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.

2 Likes