Voice Chat options missing

Are the “Voice Chat” options supposed to be gone?

1 Like

Same for me, and now Windows 10 is reporting that Starcraft II is “using my microphone”

Me too.

The only way I can stop it is to turn off application access to the mic in the OS. But I don’t want to do that be cause I need things like Zoom and Webex to use the mic.

There’s another thread in tech support

Hopefully it’s being looked into.

1 Like

By the way, i use a Razer Kraken headset and with voice chat me and friends use Discord. But when i then launch SC2 , it always mutes everythinf and i have to like, use the voice chat options to workaround it and then audio comes back.
Now uve removed the optiona and i cant use my headset…make it make sense guys

If they are going to remove the voice chat option they need to fully remove the game using the Mic.

Using my Bluetooth earbuds, the game switches it to using the Hands free audio profile and not the stereo option. This greatly reduces audio quality and in some cases I can’t ear anything as Windows is trying to use the stereo option.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. It shouldn’t be accessing the mic if there no longer any in-game voice options.

1 Like

Here is a fix for anyone who has trouble with Starcraft using the microphone.

I noticed that it never showed for me that Starcraft is using the microphone. I guessed this must be the case because I already had the voice chat disabled before the patch. Apparently, the voice chat is still active if you did not disable it before. So we have to disable it by hand.

1. Find your “Starcraft II” folder. On Windows it is simply in your Documents folder (to be precise: “C:\Users\ \Documents\StarCraft II”
  2. In this folder you should find a text file named “Variables.txt”. Open it.
  3. Find the line “voicechat=true” and replace “true” with “false”.

Hope this helps anyone who has problems.

Just wondering: Does the voice chat still work then? Are just the options gone? I never used it and I do not know anyone who has ever used it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that didn’t work for me. The “voicechat” line wasn’t present in my variables.txt file, so I added it. When I launched SC2, it still activated the mic.

There was a “voicechatsoftwaremute” line that I changed from false to true, but that didn’t help either.

Not sure. It’s possible that once the chat functions were moved to the launcher, the in-game chat of SC2 became obsolete or possibly disabled. But for some reason, SC2 still accesses the mic if one is present (like on laptops, for example).

It might be that the voice chat is overritten by the accout specific Variables.txt file. It should be in “StarCraft II\Accounts\YourAccountNumber\Variables.txt”.

If “voicechat=false” is in there it overwrites the general settings in the Starcraft II folder. I have no idea why there are some global settings and some account specific ones and why it would end up in the account specific settings for you.

Does it work for you like that?

I did not have the option in either variables.txt file. Adding it to either one (or both) didn’t affect anything.

I tried the account specific location, but it didn’t work there either.

Related bug: "Game (still) uses wrong sound output on bluetooth headset "

I have tried everything. Thought it might be a Windows 11 problem, but nothing from Bliz Support. Again, I don’t have the option button, and yes I’m in right region and everything works in Windows with latest drivers…

1 Like

Same story for me, happens with AirPods Pro on Mac as well. Audio had reduced quality, but I could fix it by changing the microphone setting to another device on Voice Chat settings, now I can’t do that.

Well its been like 3 months and blizzard hasn’t put the entire options menu for mic back yet. Guess they don’t care about teams. Weird cus co-op is how they make most of their money.

That’s not the real issue though. A while back, the chat functionality was moved to the BDA (launcher) so that it wasn’t tied to any one game.

The problem here is that it appears that SC2 access a mic when launched, but with the Voice Chat category gone, it can’t be disabled by the user.

Hi all,

Found a fix that worked for me!

Had the same issue, no sound with bluethooth headphones when launching the game.
You can disable windows using your headset mic and prevent SCII overiding your selected input/output ingame I guess.

Control panel → devices and printers → select your headset → go to properties of that headset → under services → disable “handsfree telephony”.

Ingame then select your headset and you should have sound!

Credits to this guy: BattleField 1 blueTooth headphone no sound fix - YouTube
(I had a similar problem for BF3 and there is really no option to select input/output devices ingame)

Cheers

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.