Various healer behaviors in Co-op

https://www.maguro.one/2019/12/healer-ai.html

Hi, this short post goes over various healer behaviors in Co-op, their advantages, disadvantages and some examples. And there is my version of such solution as well.

20 Likes

I like your suggested solution, and with the way you described and showed it, it does look like it would be very clean and tidy fix.

I learned to live with Nikara as she is now, since she is functional enough, but the Imperial Intercessor really needs to get fixed sooner rather than later.

7 Likes

This is the reason why I don’t play Nikara, despite liking the idea of a super-medic in my team (even before she was buffed).

I’m sure you will get a lot of hate from the veteran players here, but thank you for bringing this up. I hope the dev team does something about it, at least for Tychus.

3 Likes

There shouldn’t be any hate, and he’s actually a very veteran player himself! The frustration over the Nikara AI matter has always been that, as Maguro describes, it’s not an easy fix and what some players ask for has been tried and was worse.

If there’s a way to make everyone happy that’s great. To be honest until very recently no-one had really heard a suggestion there might be a decent programming compromise.

12 Likes

Maguro makes up 101% of blizzard’s QA team.

17 Likes

Why aren’t you on dev team already?

9 Likes

Another solo/speedrunner like Monk. That’ll be great :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t do speedrun.
But I do solo everytime a commander is released on all maps. It’s a good way to get to know the commander and where I struggle with him. It reduces the noise that would come from a random partner. It’s hard to tell if a commander struggles for example with the initial waves on Chain of Ascension if you always get an ally that deals with them.

4 Likes

This needs to be fixed. This is so inconsistent and buggy. Mengsk and Tychus especially need to be fixed.

2 Likes

They are afraid that someone could actually fix the bugs and so there would not be no need for dev team anymore. They rather focus on unbalancing/nerfing heroes so that they can buff them later or introduce new commanders.

2 Likes

Great idea, I like it. But what’s the difference between the co-op healers and the campaign ones, I was playing WoL and the medics/medivacs healed when the units were injured and listened to the “Attack Move” command while not running ahead in a suicide run. It’s just weird that there’s so much of a difference between the two.

I thinkthe difference is that in WoL there are a lot of troops getting damaged, close to the medic/medivac

I WoL they probably have a fake attack. The fact that they listen to the attack move, is an indicator at that. Though maybe they used a different method, I don’t know.

I launched one mission fast, and it looks like they are using a similar fake heal like Mengsk’s Medivacs, just with shorter range.

I just tested to make sure and yes, the default healer behavior for 1v1 medivacs is EXACTLY the same as your improved fake heal. Possibly slightly different numbers, but mechanic wise that’s exactly how a medivac on attack move will behave.

This is also why all these problems with co-op healers bother me so much. The solution already exists, and has for almost a decade now, and still they are messing around with all these new AIs that don’t work as well.

I tried it, it’s normal fake heal.
But I didn’t know ladder used it. I never noticed it while playing Terran.

Oh, I misread your solution as a fake heal rather than a fake weapon. Ok, that entirely changes my understanding of your solution.

In 1v1 It’s fake heal on any biological unit that is actively attacking. And literally every healer problem we have had in co-op could be solved largely by just using this AI. Why they had to reinvent the wheel (and not very well at that) for co-op I will never understand.

Can we have Queen revive Zagara and Kerrigan through Transfusion?

1 Like

Oh yeah, now that you mentioned it, i just realized that sometimes i wonder why i need to adjust the Imperial Intercessor position to the middle of the army again.

1 Like