I don’t think you understand what “pay to win” is at all. In all forms of this it is always:
- You pay to unlock content instantly. OR
- You play for a much longer time to unlock the same content.
This is very much just that… although I am not sure what relevance is there since even if you don’t agree this is it, the idea itself is still bad.
You (and OP and the alikes) are assuming you pay, the revenue goes to fund coop, and that in turn becomes more future content. On a basic level that can be true, but how it is distributed and what is planned are far different in reality. So I’m not saying this is definitely not the case but that you are definitely assuming several things at once to justify this.
- Assuming there are planned future coop period.
- That this is not a pay2win model.
- That this will get implemented.
- That it’ll generate enough revenue.
- And that revenue will definitively go to coop.
- And that would mean hiring more people.
- Only with more people will more/faster content come.
All of that just to say, “yeah, this isn’t pay2win, and this is definitely the way to go”. I just want to open this whole thing up. It isn’t that simple.
Also, as an aside here. We are not talking about an extinction event here. Coop can perfectly continue by releasing new commanders, bundles, announcers, etc. as has been to generate revenue. So this isn’t a “pay2win for prestige or no coop content ever again!” doom and gloom situation.
Everyone wants coop to be profitable and self-sustaining, but there is definitely a right and a wrong way to go about it. And this feels very wrong imo.